General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Well.... it happened again...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 08:19 PM

Well.... it happened again...

for those who remember, I had problems with my reverse gear before sticking in gear. I havent had problems with it for months until today. I was "drag strip prepped" with the stereo out and the stock rims back on. I headed up with friends and their 64 Impala and 68 Camaro. For once in my life I was driving normal, I put the transmission in 3rd gear and all of the sudden I heard this very loud clunking noise. Immediately I pulled over. I knew exactly what was a matter, reverse probably worked itself out of the fork or the gear dislodged itself and shattered. So I got in somebody else's car and went to the drag strip. Then I had the car rollbacked home. I really dont feel like pulling the transmission again but it looks like I have no choice. As always I'll keep everybody posted.

P.S. As you see in this post its purely informative and I'm not blaming anybody. So I DONT want to hear 'its because you beat the F outta your car' etc.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

That sucks.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm sorry, man. Trannies can be such <insert plural foul word here> anyway, no matter what car you have. This one kid I know who has a foxbody Stang blows up at least one tranny a season.
Old 08-31-2002, 07:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear about your luck Eric
Old 08-31-2002, 07:15 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Sell the car.

And I promised I would do this WHEN, not if, the tranny blew again:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=137909
Old 08-31-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: Well.... it happened again...

Man I feel for you. Nothing like doing all that work only to have it die on ya (been there done that ). I suppose your going to part out the car right?

Originally posted by ericdwong
for those who remember, I had problems with my reverse gear before sticking in gear. I havent had problems with it for months until today. I was "drag strip prepped" with the stereo out and the stock rims back on. I headed up with friends and their 64 Impala and 68 Camaro. For once in my life I was driving normal, I put the transmission in 3rd gear and all of the sudden I heard this very loud clunking noise. Immediately I pulled over. I knew exactly what was a matter, reverse probably worked itself out of the fork or the gear dislodged itself and shattered. So I got in somebody else's car and went to the drag strip. Then I had the car rollbacked home. I really dont feel like pulling the transmission again but it looks like I have no choice. As always I'll keep everybody posted.

P.S. As you see in this post its purely informative and I'm not blaming anybody. So I DONT want to hear 'its because you beat the F outta your car' etc.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:30 AM

dang Eric you're going to be the one person in north america with the most knowledge on maximas trannies!!!!!

Old 08-31-2002, 08:50 AM
Sports Button FTW

he's going to work on the tranny and all, why does everyone act like he gave up on the maxima and selling his car?
Old 08-31-2002, 12:57 PM

Alright I got the transmission pulled. I opened it up. Much to my dismay, it was not the problem of what I thought it was. 3rd gear was blown, there was no problem with reverse. Last time I had tranny trouble, I blew second gear. What really strikes me as odd, is that I was driving very gently yesterday when it happened. It also happened after I put the car in 3rd gear with the clutch fully engaged. I honestly was not flogging the F outta it whatsoever and it just happened out of the clear blue. So much for cryogenic treatment as well. It probably would have been better if it had happened while I was going down the drag strip since it would have been more memorable. But on the bright side, goodthing it did not happen when I was clubbin the night before celebrating my birthday as that woulda been a real spoiler (no I didnt drive that night).

Since I'm now 21 (mind you, this happened the day AFTER my birthday) I might as well go buy some booze and take a few shots before I think of what to do next.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe
Sell the car.

And I promised I would do this WHEN, not if, the tranny blew again:

Back away Bill, he is not complaining, he is trying to figure out what went wrong. I know Eric and he is good guy. He does some crazy things once in a while. We are all human, let him figure out his next step and don't harrass him. Have you ever done anything stupid in your life???? I know I have I am not saying anything bad towards you or saying all of Eric's actions are smart. Let it be....

Jason
Old 08-31-2002, 03:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn man, how the hell do you blow those gears like that?
Old 08-31-2002, 03:40 PM

i always thot u had a level ten auto tranny... i'm sorry to hear ur misfortune
Old 09-01-2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by skeelo34
I dunno, I wasnt hot rodding it at all. Driving very gentle infact. It didnt even happen during a shift. This makes me upset.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by skeelo34
Old 09-02-2002, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Cutlr7

Back away Bill, he is not complaining, he is trying to figure out what went wrong. I know Eric and he is good guy. He does some crazy things once in a while. We are all human, let him figure out his next step and don't harrass him. Have you ever done anything stupid in your life???? I know I have I am not saying anything bad towards you or saying all of Eric's actions are smart. Let it be....

Jason
I promised to remind him when he had issues in the future, and he did. I just made good on my promise.