General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My days experiences: carwash, spray on wax, enginebay cleaning and battery (long)g

Old 09-01-2002, 09:14 PM

My days experiences: carwash, spray on wax, enginebay cleaning and battery (long)g

Well today I took my car to one of those drive up do-it-youself car wash places. The only reason I went there was because I was planning on cleaning out my engine bay and didn't want that gunk running into my yard. So I get there, great day out. Pull in and go for it. $1.25 for 4 minutes on the nozzle! I figure "that's ok. I brought my own soap" and proceed to fill my bucket. Well little did I know that my nozzle control switch was screwed up. When I put it on "Rinse" so give the car a nice soak down, soap came out instead. Once I finally figure out how that works I wash the car. I was very pleased with the results. I then applied some of that EagleOne sprayon-before-you-dry wax and dried the car off. All I had to say was: The car looked great. Great shine. So my car is beautiful, time to clean the engine bay. Lift the hood, put plastic bags over the important stuff and spray the gunk all over it. Man that stuff reaked. Spray it on, let it sit. All the while a storm is brewing over my head (actually, over the canopy) Once the sitting was done, I get the nozzle out and prepare to rinse. I set it to rinse, and the water is coming out...then it starts spraying green stuff (I think it was tire cleaner)! I reset the nozzle and finally get it all rinsed off. I then take the covers off and start the engine - no CEL. Sit there with the hood open letting those NASTY vapors evaporate. Then it starts to rain. I sit and wait, for the stuff to stop evaporating and for the rain to quit. Finally I give up (more on the rain) and hop in the car. Turn on the AC. Boom - wave of those steamy fumes hits me right in the face. This proved to be a mistake. I immediately punched the recirculate button and moderately fresh air began pouring through the vents. Finally, I had to go and the rain wasn't quite done. So I drove my freshly cleaned car through the rain to my friends house for the football game today. When I got there (of course, it had stopped raining and the sun had come out) I got out of the car. That wax really held up! The water had beaded up and flown off my car! Very, very few water spots on the whole thing. Then I decide I should air my vents out to get those vapors out of there. So I go in, leaving my car in ACC with the blower running. Well to make a long story short, my battery died. I guess I'm learning the hard way. Got a jump start from my friend and was on my way. So the Cliffs Notes Version:

1) Always, always, always wash your car at home (RIP OFF)
2) Spray on waxes are DEFINITELY worth it
3) Make sure you clean your engine bay well, and that those NASTY vapors don't get in your car. It may be a while before I'm completely rid of em.
4) Don't let your battery die.

Well, I'm 17 and have learned much stuff the hard way today. I feel sorry for you if you read all this.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:06 PM
OG :)

Re: My days experiences: carwash, spray on wax, enginebay cleaning and battery (long)g

I use these places more since I'm away for college and the high pressure rinse on the rims kills brake dust
Old 09-01-2002, 10:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you spraying your rotors while they car is still hot though? Thats a no no.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:14 PM

Don't worry man, I'm 17 and I know the best way to learn things is the hard way. And atleast you did't screw up your car.

BTW one thing about detailing a car... NEVER take the short way out, you car will only look as good as the time you put into it. Spray-on wax may be good, but a good liquid wax is better.
-Cyrus
Old 09-01-2002, 10:22 PM

I'm never washing my car again. I was working from 1-545 on my car today. I can't move my shoulders right now, but it was worth it.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:47 PM
OG :)

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
you spraying your rotors while they car is still hot though? Thats a no no.
nah, it's around the corner from me and made the calipers look somewhat cleaner. bring a chamoi or towel is my tip, because the "spot free rise" is useless OR haul *** after washing to dry the car off.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:26 AM

At least ur engine will be cleaner, cya later today.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by Vyrus
Don't worry man, I'm 17 and I know the best way to learn things is the hard way. And atleast you did't screw up your car.

BTW one thing about detailing a car... NEVER take the short way out, you car will only look as good as the time you put into it. Spray-on wax may be good, but a good liquid wax is better.
-Cyrus
when i was seventeen i learned from other people's mistakes, i'm too lazy to make my own mistakes. the spray on wax won't last that long, but since it's so easy to apply and all might as well do it more frequently to make up for it's short life.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I firmly support Mother's wax products.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:20 AM

-Cyrus
Oh I know sprayon will never measure up to the liquid stuff. I was sayin for the time/money value, it was great. Much better than I had expected. Car looks good though. BBaker025 is coming over today. New plugs and fuel filter for the max
Old 09-02-2002, 09:52 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Spray-on wax may be good, but a good liquid wax is better.
-Cyrus
and paste wax is even better
Old 09-02-2002, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by NickStam

and paste wax is even better
Yep.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

good ol' Mother's Carnuba CA gold in a tin. Works like a charm and smells yummy.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:38 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Lime
good ol' Mother's Carnuba CA gold in a tin. Works like a charm and smells yummy.
i used to use that