General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How to get into a frozen car???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2000, 06:45 AM

Last night it rained for a while, then early this morning a cold front came through freezing and snowing on everything. I can't open my door, because it is frozen shoot. I have an alarm, so I can unlock it, but I can't budge any of the doors. So does anyone know a trick to defrost the ice???
Old 12-17-2000, 07:00 AM

Too bad you don't have remote start.

Old 12-17-2000, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Victim64
Last night it rained for a while, then early this morning a cold front came through freezing and snowing on everything. I can't open my door, because it is frozen shoot. I have an alarm, so I can unlock it, but I can't budge any of the doors. So does anyone know a trick to defrost the ice???
No doubt you're in by now, but I've had this happen to me before, too. The door weatherstrip is flexible enough that it allows the door to give on its hinges when you shove on it. I just pushed on the door vigorously and repeatedly, compressing the door weatherstrip, until the ice cracked. At that point, it was just a matter of clearing off the ice until I got in... Alternately, you could holler at the homeless person in your back seat to pull on a door handle and *PUSH HARD* against the door! :-)
Old 12-17-2000, 07:15 AM

A hair dryer and extension cord, or buckets of hot water may come in handy
Old 12-17-2000, 07:20 AM

DON'T DO **HOT** WATER!!

Originally posted by deathwish

My sister tried dumping a bucket of HOT water on her iced up windshield once, and the extreme difference in temperatures caused it to shatter. (it did get the ice off though...) I'm thinking the same would happen to the glass on the door.
Old 12-17-2000, 07:24 AM

Re: DON'T DO **HOT** WATER!!

I was just going to say the same thing, but you beat me too it.

Victim64, your best bet would probably be to let the car sit and defrost for a while. You could try the hair dryer, but I imagine it would have the same results as a bucket of water, because of the difference in temperatures.

Originally posted by The_quorum
Originally posted by deathwish

My sister tried dumping a bucket of HOT water on her iced up windshield once, and the extreme difference in temperatures caused it to shatter. (it did get the ice off though...) I'm thinking the same would happen to the glass on the door.
Old 12-17-2000, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Nick

Ha,I do have remot start, read my sig. Also all 4 widows roll up and down with remote. However this didn't help much, it was to cold. Anyway thanks for the responses, but I am in now.
Old 12-17-2000, 12:46 PM

Find some of that ice melt in a can. That stuff works great for the windows too. I had to buy that stuff when I was low on gas and I was at the gas station and the gas door was frozen shut.
Old 12-17-2000, 03:55 PM

Ice Melt in a can does work well... in fact too well.. I'm personally worried about paint when i use it [it looks like some REALLY strong stuff]....

Possibly only on the middle of the windshield (glass is sorta hard to screw chemically), but nowhere else on my new car!!!

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
Find some of that ice melt in a can. That stuff works great for the windows too. I had to buy that stuff when I was low on gas and I was at the gas station and the gas door was frozen shut.
Old 12-17-2000, 05:39 PM

Whoops!!

Ha,I do have remot start, read my sig. Also all 4 widows roll up and down with remote. However this didn't help much, it was to cold. Anyway thanks for the responses, but I am in now.
Guess I should've read the sig too!! So, how'd ya get in?
Old 12-17-2000, 09:38 PM

Re: Whoops!!

Guess I should've read the sig too!! So, how'd ya get in?
I just let it set in the sun for a few hours. Glade I wasn't in a hury to get somewhere!!!
Old 12-18-2000, 06:03 AM

could try this

use COLD water so the temperature difference isnt as great, and cold water doesnt freeze as rapidly as hot. An old survival course tactic for dealing with a frozen door lock when your out in the middle of no where...is to **** on the lock..that'll cause a melt down!
Old 12-18-2000, 07:06 AM

Re: Re: DON'T DO **HOT** WATER!!

I was just going to say the same thing, but you beat me too it.

Victim64, your best bet would probably be to let the car sit and defrost for a while. You could try the hair dryer, but I imagine it would have the same results as a bucket of water, because of the difference in temperatures.
the heat from the hairdryer is not as dramatic, so it won't be a problem. it's like washing a coffee mug that is still hot. if you pour hot water over it then slowly change it over to colder water, it'll won't crack, but if you pour cold water on it right away.. then there's a chance of cracking.