General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 12:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Car Cover

hey guys,
While im at skool i wanted to get a cover to protect my car. it is staying outside so i will need a good one. also what are some other suggestions on how to keep my car in top condition while its sitting. My parents are going to take it for a drive everyonce in a while to keep the oil flowing but im still worried about something getting messed up....any suggestions would help a bunch. also hows this cover? http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=999N2-ML000 thanks guys.

steve
Old 09-04-2002, 08:05 PM
Ramius83

Here's something to think about before you buy it:

Most car covers are not tight and do not tie down to the bottom of the car, securing it from gusts of wind. What happens is when the wind blows, it constantly wrinkles the car cover, creating that ripple affect, moving the cover up and down on most curved areas of the car. This constant movement may/will actually rub your paint off over time. I have a friend, the guy that helped me with my 5-speed swap, and he used a car cover on his newly painted Jeep Scrambler. Within 8 months after he started using the car cover, the cover had actually started to dull and rub off his paint on the sharply and rounded off corners of the car because those covers are not designed to be tight.

We contacted the cover's manufacturer and stated this problem, but the only thing they said was, "We do not take responsibility for it rubbing off the paint, we only take responsibility if the product (the car cover in this case) prematurely fails or the materials deteriorate." So, in turn, Adam (my friend) was screwed out of a 3800 custom blue paint job.

So, after this incident, I thought twice about buying a car cover. I hope this helps you.

Old 09-04-2002, 11:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hmmm....well that is a good reason to think about before buying a car cover, but what else could i do to protect it from the elements while its sitting in my driveway. I am going to kill myself if i come home during break and find that my exhaust is rusted or it doesnt start or anything like that. My maxima is my baby and while im at school its the one thing i miss the most from home . (i know im a weirdo lol) and i just finished getting it to the point where i want it and i dont want my money and hard work to go to waste as it sits there. I would really like to hear from anyone who has any suggestions on how to keep my car looking brand new. thanx
Old 09-05-2002, 11:49 AM

I cover my car all of the time it is parked outside (at work, at the airport, etc.), and my paint looks as good as the day I got it. Spend the extra money to get a fitted cover (not a cheapy Wal-Mart cover), and you'll be happy. I got mine at California Car Cover (www.californiacarcover.com).