General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The max might be going bye bye

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 10:41 AM

The max might be going bye bye

Shes been a very good ride for the last two years but alas I think I am ready to move on. If it wasnt for my maxima, and you all at max.org i never would have got addicted to moding cars, or started my website. All good things come to an end and I have a serious buyer looking at the car this week. If all goes well, this spring Ill by driving either

1. a 97 Audi A4 1.8t (Ill chip it, exhust, FMIC)
2. A 2.5rs, keep it stock and buy a 300zx TT
3. A 2.5rs, keep it stock and save my money
4. A BMW 330xi

Still deciding what to do, and of course I have to sell the max first. The car just doesnt do it for me anymore, not like it used to. That and I cant have a car at school this year, so it will just be sitting there, which sucks. I'd rather have money in the bank getting interest. Let me know what you guys think about my car ideas, and if give me some other sugestions
Old 09-08-2002, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Old 09-08-2002, 10:44 AM

Focus on what's important right now: school!
Old 09-08-2002, 11:45 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

get a civic til you graduate
Old 09-08-2002, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by NickStam
AMEN!
Old 09-08-2002, 12:16 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NickStam

I'd say go with 2. Just a stepping stone to another Nissan (plus, I used to own a 92 300ZX TT -
Old 09-08-2002, 02:05 PM

Scratch #4 off the list. That AWD system is a joke. It was really meant to get yuppies from their condo to the supermarket when it's slippery, not deal with any real snow.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:07 PM

Forget the Civic, get an SE-R for about 19K. You can still save some cash, and have the option of Nismo mods later on.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:14 PM
Administrator

keep the maxima and delete this thread..
Old 09-08-2002, 02:26 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by SprintMax
keep the maxima and delete this thread..
Gee.... now why didn't anyone else think of that.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by SR20DEN

Gee.... now why didn't anyone else think of that.
Because we don't drink sprite
Old 09-08-2002, 03:30 PM
pmg

5. Turbocharge the maxima. Eventually buy 300zxTT.

That's what I might do.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:52 PM

save and get a mitsu 3000gt vr4 convertible
Old 09-08-2002, 04:10 PM

The max doesnt have much left. If I can sell it now, I can make money on it (hopfully). That would be nice. Id love to boost the max, but I know it just wouldnt like that. Therefore i need a new car.

So no one likes the idea of getting an Audi? A 3000gt, while a cool car, is way to expensive and not reliable. I live in Maine and will be driving between Maine and Syracuse (7 hours) a lot. Thats one reason why a 2.5rs, and then save for a summer car would be nice. I just dont know. A 2.5rs would be so damn slow coming from my max. I hate the way civics look, and I can get a 2.5 with decent miles for like 6k, and then id have 8k left over and then I still have some options (300zx?). Its so hard. I wish i could just buy a teleporter
Old 09-08-2002, 05:14 PM

Re: The max might be going bye bye

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Shes been a very good ride for the last two years but alas I think I am ready to move on. If it wasnt for my maxima, and you all at max.org i never would have got addicted to moding cars, or started my website. All good things come to an end and I have a serious buyer looking at the car this week. If all goes well, this spring Ill by driving either

4. A BMW 330xi

Still deciding what to do, and of course I have to sell the max first. The car just doesnt do it for me anymore, not like it used to. That and I cant have a car at school this year, so it will just be sitting there, which sucks. I'd rather have money in the bank getting interest. Let me know what you guys think about my car ideas, and if give me some other sugestions
My suggestion would be to save your $. What you waste today will cost you exponentially in the long-run. Not to tell you what to do but just to give you my opinion, you should solidly be earning mid 6 figs to drive a 330 BMW. Sometimes I get the feeling people actually buy cars for $ amounts that exceed their annual income? Don't they have sig others that "counsel" them to do the right thing?
Old 09-08-2002, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: The max might be going bye bye

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

My suggestion would be to save your $. What you waste today will cost you exponentially in the long-run. Not to tell you what to do but just to give you my opinion, you should solidly be earning mid 6 figs to drive a 330 BMW. Sometimes I get the feeling people actually buy cars for $ amounts that exceed their annual income? Don't they have sig others that "counsel" them to do the right thing?
Yeah i know you are right. I think the bimmer is out of my price range anyway. The A4, at 13k is right in my range, however. And by the time I buy it in the spring it will be even cheaper. But a 2.5rs for 6k and pocketing the rest would probably be the most resonable idea.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:04 PM

you should solidly be earning mid 6 figs to drive a 330 BMW. Sometimes I get the feeling people actually buy cars for $ amounts that exceed their annual income?
that's a little excessive frank - I think that any car enthusiast should be ok buying a car that cost about their annual income. Over 5 years it's not too bad.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:24 PM

...you should solidly be earning mid 6 figs to drive a 330 BMW. Sometimes I get the feeling people actually buy cars for $ amounts that exceed their annual income?
Please tell me this is a joke... my Physics teacher makes maybe $30k a year with benefits (cheap-*ss private school) and he drove a brand new '97 Boxter back in the day. No way do you need a mid-6 figure income to be driving a 330i! Mid 6-figure income and most people are driving 540is! A car enthusiast probably an M5! I agree with theblue, a car enthusiast could spend one year (out of 5 years) income on their car without problems.
-Cyrus
Old 09-09-2002, 08:52 AM

I love Audi's, my next car will be a S4. I almost got an A4 1.8t before I got my Max. I test drove both, I love the fact of the AWD system and the interior & exterior are just awesome, but I wanted the security of reliability for a least a few years so I knew I wouldn't chip right away (warranty issues). In the end for the price, interior room, & acceleration the Maxima won out. Although I still feel I'd be a little happier with the Audi & a chip. Still love my Max though. Just keep in mind that if your buying a older A4 (96-98) and plan on chipping you'll probably need a new turbo in 1-3 years, and Audi's are expensive to repair. I would save up till you got out of school and get a used S4, instead of an A4. That's what I'm doing Oh and if you haven't already check out www.audizine.com, and www.audiworld.com.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: The max might be going bye bye

A better / cheaper option would be the VW Jetta/Passat 1.8t unless you needed AWD. For AWD, the Subaru WRX would be a better alternative.

Good luck finding a non beatup 300ZX TT.

Aren't you sufferring from Modin-jitis?

4. A BMW 330xi
Waste of money. Get the Jaguar X-type instead. If you do not require AWD, get the Infiniti G35. Looks & performs sooo much better.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:10 AM

meh? you hardly have any mods done to the car. what about the car is so boring?

must be nice to have money and be in school. When I was in school I had a hand-me-down free car so I could visit my dad after his surgery, then I didn't even have a car for a while. And I had NO money for food or clothes...just books.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:29 AM

i'd go with the bimmer...
Old 09-09-2002, 09:39 AM

Go with property.

Then buy the Bimmer.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Lime

must be nice to have money and be in school. When I was in school I had a hand-me-down free car so I could visit my dad after his surgery, then I didn't even have a car for a while. And I had NO money for food or clothes...just books.
some of us actually *work* while going to school =X
Old 09-09-2002, 10:38 AM

you are not going to earn much interest if you invest the money from sale of your '96 Max into savings account. Have you considered a used 2k2 Max 6spd? By the time you're back car shopping, a used one with a bit higher mileage may cost you the same as Audi. Otherwise, Audi is a good choice, too.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by CKNY

some of us actually *work* while going to school =X
HAHAHA, yeah, and some of us have mommy and daddy pay for everything. I worked my butt off, what about you?
Old 09-09-2002, 12:48 PM

pardon my ignorance, but whats a 2.5rs? is that a subaru?
Old 09-09-2002, 01:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: The max might be going bye bye

Originally posted by theblue

that's a little excessive frank - I think that any car enthusiast should be ok buying a car that cost about their annual income. Over 5 years it's not too bad.
I dunno. Let's look at a hypothetical sitation but try to make it realistic. Say you graduate from college at 21-22 and get your first job paying 52-57k. By your logic it's BMW M3 time, isn't it? I say it's time to drive junk for at least 2 years while things are getting settled down. Student loans can be over $400/mo when kids get out...

College can be 35-40 grand per year, and where I came from that money didn't grow on trees--it was grants, loans, and scholarships. The way I see it is that life is long--you wanna drive an expensive car you can do it at age 16. That's why they invented leasing. But that money sure sets you back when you reach 25-26 and start thinking about a house, engagement ring, a Chesapeake Bay puppy, school taxes, etc. my .02

Harsh? Maybe. Or maybe it's self-control? I don't know the answer. Everybody is different and that's the spice of life.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:25 PM

but my question was never answered...what's so bad about it ... you hardly have any mods.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:35 PM

97/98 540i 6-speed
Old 09-09-2002, 06:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The max might be going bye bye

I dunno. Let's look at a hypothetical sitation but try to make it realistic. Say you graduate from college at 21-22 and get your first job paying 52-57k. By your logic it's BMW M3 time, isn't it? I say it's time to drive junk for at least 2 years while things are getting settled down. Student loans can be over $400/mo when kids get out...

College can be 35-40 grand per year, and where I came from that money didn't grow on trees--it was grants, loans, and scholarships. The way I see it is that life is long--you wanna drive an expensive car you can do it at age 16. That's why they invented leasing. But that money sure sets you back when you reach 25-26 and start thinking about a house, engagement ring, a Chesapeake Bay puppy, school taxes, etc. my .02

Harsh? Maybe. Or maybe it's self-control? I don't know the answer. Everybody is different and that's the spice of life.
we choose how to spend our money... I have school loan... but I choose to live with roomates (but in a big house) and I spend 65% of my income on cars and car related activites...

look at DMBmaxima... you wanna talk about somebody who spends the majority of money on cars

(side note: what ever happened to him?)

do you like cars? how much? these are the questions that drive us to spend stupid $$$ on cars...
Old 09-09-2002, 06:44 PM

I dont have any mods done to my car? The only thing left to do is pully, nitrous and super charger.

I own a web design company, its good money.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
you are not going to earn much interest if you invest the money from sale of your '96 Max into savings account. Have you considered a used 2k2 Max 6spd? By the time you're back car shopping, a used one with a bit higher mileage may cost you the same as Audi. Otherwise, Audi is a good choice, too.
I should be getting about 14k for the car. A year of interest would be like 1 grand wouldnt it? I am kind of done with max's. Plus my dad has one so if I need a maxima hit, i can take his out for a spin
Old 09-09-2002, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by slick
pardon my ignorance, but whats a 2.5rs? is that a subaru?
Yep its a scooby. nice looking cars and with the WRX STI engine and tranny swap that thing is a BEAST!
Old 09-09-2002, 06:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The max might be going bye bye

I agree with you completlty. In my mind, you shouldnt be spending a lot of money on a car out of college when there are more important things. But i guess this is a little hypocritical comign from me, of course i dont have many expenses.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:24 PM

2....if u got the funds a g35!
Old 09-09-2002, 07:48 PM

I dont have any mods done to my car? The only thing left to do is pully, nitrous and super charger.

I own a web design company, its good money.
You own a business? That's cool. (I used to do pro web design myself, especially during college) Anyway, your suspension mods are lacking. You should try a different setup and some auto-x...then you might have more fun. I dunno what you do with the car, but spending a lot of money on a new car or a car you can't drive all year round (coming from an east-coaster) would be a waste during the school years. Best to wait until you're settled into some sort of permanency before you go all out with 2 cars or something.

Of course, look sat some of the people I know...they live with their parents and have like 3 cars lol.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:56 PM

You own a business? That's cool. (I used to do pro web design myself, especially during college) Anyway, your suspension mods are lacking. You should try a different setup and some auto-x...then you might have more fun. I dunno what you do with the car, but spending a lot of money on a new car or a car you can't drive all year round (coming from an east-coaster) would be a waste during the school years. Best to wait until you're settled into some sort of permanency before you go all out with 2 cars or something.

Of course, look sat some of the people I know...they live with their parents and have like 3 cars lol.
Umm I did a lot of Autox events this year. I have progress lowering springs and KYB AGX shocks... what else would you like me to do
I would be able to drive the A4 or 2.5 year round, and in fact they would be better in the snow. I cant have a car this year, but next year I would. I wont be buying until spring anyway.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:36 AM

progress = not too stiff. I would say SFC's and either Eibachs or B&G's.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:35 AM

Keep the max until you graduate and find a good job, then get a brand new car.
Used Audi - low reliability.
BMW 330xi - a small and boring sedan, not a true AWD.
Subaru is ugly, don't care how fast it is.

Save your money for a G35 coupe or a 350Z.

Quick Reply: The max might be going bye bye