General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

tint ticket in MA

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

tint ticket in MA

i was stopped at some railroad tracks around noon today when a cop detailing some construction told me to pull over to the side after the light turned green. so i did and he said 'the reason i pulled you over is because your windows look too dark, sit tight and we'll check em for you' and i said 'i'll tell you right now the back ones are darker than 35%, but they've been on for 3 years, i've passed inspection at 3 DIFFERENT places, and i was even under the impression that only the front windows needed to be <35%' and he said that didn't matter. my fronts were 34% and my backs were 11%... $250 ticket. i asked him if there was anything where i could get the tints removed within a certain amount of time and then have the ticket charges negated. he said he didn't know of any such occurance. is there anything anyone thinks i could do in this situation? i'm going to request a hearing just to buy myself some more time either way, but i'd appreciate any suggestions...thanks in advance..

nick
Old 09-11-2002, 11:11 AM

Just go to court and see what the judge will do for you. I was pulled over when I had my truck for having tints that were to dark but I only got a warning. I definitely know that if you get a doctor's approval for having dark tints, you will be allowed to have them. I've laser surgery on my eyes and the glare gets bad at time but I just where polorized shades to keep the cops off my back.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:14 AM

See if you can get a reciept that says you had the front tints removed. Show that in court, I think you should be find.

Andrei
Old 09-11-2002, 11:17 AM

http://www.gilafilms.com/auto/car_tint_laws.html

Do you have a medical reason for tint? I would visit/bribe a busy eye-doctor/optometrist and get a prescription.
Or peel your tint, take pictures, and hope that the judge will let you off with court costs. Or you can retint your windows with an over 35% tint and bring proof that it is within your state laws.

I believe that window tint percentages are darker with the lower numbers. By saying 34% and 11%, you were admitting your guilt. Being <35% would be numbers higher than 35%.
0% is a completed painted glass and 100% is perfectly clear glass. The measurement isn't darkness but light transmission.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:22 AM
I miss the .org!

Originally posted by deadrx7conv
http://www.gilafilms.com/auto/car_tint_laws.html
By saying 34% and 11%, you were admitting your guilt. Being <35% would be numbers higher than 35%.
I don't think he admitted the exact percentages. Sounds like the cop actually tested it, right?
Old 09-11-2002, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol

I don't think he admitted the exact percentages. Sounds like the cop actually tested it, right?

yeah, the cop tested it, and i wasn't saying i didn't think i'm guilty; i know my tints were too dark in the back i guess, but i'm just wondering if anyone knows anything i can do to get around it... thanks to anyone who has answered so far..
Old 09-11-2002, 12:34 PM

Can a cop on a traffic detail write you a ticket?
Old 09-11-2002, 02:23 PM

the law here in california states that the back can be tinted as dark as you want, and the front windows shouldn't be tinted at all. but most people put the lightest tint in the front (45% or so) so that the cops can still see inside, if they can't, they will definitely pull you over.

tickets for tints here are common in cali and if you get caught, the best way is to get the tint removed, but i think you will still have to pay the fine.

check you state laws and regulations.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:26 PM

Re: tint ticket in MA

Originally posted by NixMaxGXE
i was stopped at some railroad tracks around noon today when a cop detailing some construction told me to pull over to the side after the light turned green. so i did and he said 'the reason i pulled you over is because your windows look too dark, sit tight and we'll check em for you' and i said 'i'll tell you right now the back ones are darker than 35%, but they've been on for 3 years, i've passed inspection at 3 DIFFERENT places, and i was even under the impression that only the front windows needed to be <35%' and he said that didn't matter. my fronts were 34% and my backs were 11%... $250 ticket. i asked him if there was anything where i could get the tints removed within a certain amount of time and then have the ticket charges negated. he said he didn't know of any such occurance. is there anything anyone thinks i could do in this situation? i'm going to request a hearing just to buy myself some more time either way, but i'd appreciate any suggestions...thanks in advance..

nick
That's terrible, I might actually have to get my tints checked now.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by 2DMax
Can a cop on a traffic detail write you a ticket?
honestly, now that i think about it, i'm not even sure; also, i was under the impression that window tinting had to be a secondary offense, like i'd have to be pulled over for speeding or something and then have the cop notice my tints to cite me for it, anyone know the truth to this though, if any?

thanks
NICK
Old 09-11-2002, 11:24 PM
The non-postwhoring Org member

I believe the actual CA law states that the front windshield can have no tint, but the front side windows can have up to 70% tint... Not that many companies make 70%+ tinting though.

Originally posted by NisMoMAX01SE
the law here in california states that the back can be tinted as dark as you want, and the front windows shouldn't be tinted at all. but most people put the lightest tint in the front (45% or so) so that the cops can still see inside, if they can't, they will definitely pull you over.

tickets for tints here are common in cali and if you get caught, the best way is to get the tint removed, but i think you will still have to pay the fine.

check you state laws and regulations.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by NixMaxGXE

honestly, now that i think about it, i'm not even sure; also, i was under the impression that window tinting had to be a secondary offense, like i'd have to be pulled over for speeding or something and then have the cop notice my tints to cite me for it, anyone know the truth to this though, if any?

thanks
NICK
Check local laws. 50 states in the US=50 different tint laws, although there will be similarities. In Louisiana, cops can pull you over while on a "traffic detail" and write you a ticket. It also doesn't have to be a "secondary" offense. PC for a stop is PC for a stop. Most likely the same in most states. Like previously posted, tint percentages are usually percentage of light transmission. And the reason most cops get a little ticked about dark tint is that they can't see Joe Blow holding a 9mm when they pull him over. Doesn't make a difference if the cop's take-down lights and spotlight are on or not if it is dark/reflective enough. That's why the spotlight is usually aimed at where it blinds the driver (mirrors). About the ticket, you can talk to the DA to see his stance on it. You can also go to court and hope the judge is having a good day, thus being lenient. Just all depends on a lot of factors. Good luck with it.

Dave
Old 09-15-2002, 02:02 PM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by Regime
I believe the actual CA law states that the front windshield can have no tint, but the front side windows can have up to 70% tint... Not that many companies make 70%+ tinting though.

70% is what the cars come with from the factory on every window...