General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

COSTCO out of Pilot Sports? What...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 01:36 PM

COSTCO out of Pilot Sports? What...

COSTCO out of Pilot Sports A/S...

What's this i'm trying to purchase the only OEM replacement that has had good reviews and COSTCO can't get them any more... say it isn't so.

Well i've tried last night and today and both COSTCO locations in SW Ohio say they can't get'em.

Has Michelin stop producing them, has COSTCO and their distributor fell out of favor, are people just not willing to plunk down $200/per tire.

WHAT'S GOING ON PEOPLE!!! I want my babyback...i mean my PSA/S's.

Does anybody know if Michelin is the culprit. I know i could do the internet thing but COSTCO $209.99/tire installed plus sales tax.

aaaaahhhhhh!
Old 09-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Guy with the Orange Max

Have you looked into maybe Bridgestone Potenza RE730 Gen II?
Old 09-11-2002, 08:09 PM

Have you checked if Sam's Club stock them? Also, Sears would match internet deals on most items so it may be worth the try.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:04 PM

Check out www.tirerack.com I have seen them there in the past. If you get them, post and let us all know how much you like them. Pilot's are very expensive, but well worth the xtra $$$.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:09 PM

Re: COSTCO out of Pilot Sports? What...

Originally posted by Step2kMax

What's this i'm trying to purchase the only OEM replacement that has had good reviews and COSTCO can't get them any more... say it isn't so.

Well i've tried last night and today and both COSTCO locations in SW Ohio say they can't get'em.

Has Michelin stop producing them, has COSTCO and their distributor fell out of favor, are people just not willing to plunk down $200/per tire.

Does anybody know if Michelin is the culprit. I know i could do the internet thing but COSTCO $209.99/tire installed plus sales tax.

aaaaahhhhhh!
I think those tires are way too expensive for a Maxima. Passat 4Motion or A6? Fine. Maxima? A tire for $125-$140 will more than do.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Say it ain't so! I ordered the pilots (235/50/17) last Saturday at Costco (Mountain view, CA) and was told it was a 1-3 week wait. I have been waiting only 5 days but now I am anxious. I will call them tomorrow to get an update on expected delivery date. Another org member said his wait was 10 days at Costco. Alocal tire shop told me they would get them in one day but it was $300 per tire.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:52 AM

Re: COSTCO out of....

Thanks guys for your suggestions and comments but i was looking for OEM spec 225/50/17's first choice.

y sleep - yes Costco said they could get 235/50/17's in but that is my second choice.

Frank Fontaine - $200+ is expensive for a tire i agree but since i'm not changing wheels/rims i'd rather spend more now than additional later.

rubman - if Costco can't help i will do tirerack.com or another .com location.

Green 2kSE - i check SAM's Club first, PSA/S 225/50/17 - Quote " We can't get'em in that size". i'll check into the Sears match option locally and see what they say. Thanks

airmattdog - no haven't check on those, do u have them and how ya like so far.

Only other choice of 225/50/17 all-season i found were of course the potenza's and goodyear eagle. Will post outcome when final decision is made.

Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:00 AM

Re: Re: COSTCO out of Pilot Sports? What...

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

I think those tires are way too expensive for a Maxima. Passat 4Motion or A6? Fine. Maxima? A tire for $125-$140 will more than do.

Frank, why do you limit yourself based on the car not being a VW? If you want the best combo of wet, dry AND snow performance, you won't find it in a $125 - $140 tire that fits the Max. There isn't one better than the Pilot A/S in all conditions. Ask and see how many folks "settled" for Kumho's or others and are ****ed at crappy performance, out of round conditions, wet handling, etc. Then ask those of us who have the Pilots.....the answer is very different. Now if I was loaded enough to have a winter set of rims/tires and another set for the other seasons then you may have a point, but for those of us with one set, there is no better alternative for year round performance.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:01 AM

Re: Re: COSTCO out of....

Thanks guys for your suggestions and comments but i was looking for OEM spec 225/50/17's first choice.

y sleep - yes Costco said they could get 235/50/17's in but that is my second choice.

Frank Fontaine - $200+ is expensive for a tire i agree but since i'm not changing wheels/rims i'd rather spend more now than additional later.

rubman - if Costco can't help i will do tirerack.com or another .com location.

Green 2kSE - i check SAM's Club first, PSA/S 225/50/17 - Quote " We can't get'em in that size". i'll check into the Sears match option locally and see what they say. Thanks

airmattdog - no haven't check on those, do u have them and how ya like so far.

Only other choice of 225/50/17 all-season i found were of course the potenza's and goodyear eagle. Will post outcome when final decision is made.

Thanks again.
Check out the Nitto NT450 and the Falken Ziex too.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:44 AM

UPDATE!

Just got the call from tire tech. at Costco and he talked to people at Michelin they said still producing PSA/S in 225/50/17 just production is slow. i'm sure we all heard that one before.

Michelin told him that delivery would be about 3+ weeks....i wonder if that means i will mis-out on my road atlas and luggage?

Anyway, my order is down and hope it doesn't that that long.

y sleep - u where right.

Thanks for everone's input and will let ya know how i like em after installed.

aaaaahhhhhh!
Old 09-12-2002, 01:38 PM

A $30K car with Bose sytem(in dash CD player with seven speakers including sunroof), leather, 17" wheels, climate control, 222H.P engine(one of the absolute best in its class), electronic sunroof, sport suspension does not deserve a $2-300 wheel? I rest my case.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: COSTCO out of Pilot Sports? What...

Originally posted by rubman

A $30K car with Bose sytem(in dash CD player with seven speakers including sunroof), leather, 17" wheels, climate control, 222H.P engine(one of the absolute best in its class), electronic sunroof, sport suspension does not deserve a $2-300 wheel? I rest my case.
I meant tire, not wheel. My bad.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Frank,
Do you drive a maxima? If so, you must have some serious self hate going on. You bag on the Maxima and Nissan in general at every turn, every chance you get it seems. You seem like a bright enough guy, your post on economies of scale made sense, but you are always trying to dissuade people from having fun with their maximas. You need to relax and quit telling people what crap they own and that they need to get a volkwagen or an audi. Many people here could have gotten a volkswagen or an audi, and they chose a Maxima. In many cases it is because the Maxima has some fun factor and is a MUCH better value than price bloated VWs, Audis, Acuras and BMWs.

I just read a bunch of your posts, you do indeed own a Maxima. Why don't you sell it and get a VW, a BMW, an AUDI, or the grand am that you said had such great steering feel? Is it because most of those cars cost much more than the Maxima?

You really need to get out of the Maxima, and off of this board. I am sure you contribute some, but most of what I see is that you just don't like the Maxima. If someone thinks the Max is god's chariot, let em. Pride of ownership, some are REALLY proud of their Geos. There are lots of people that have sold their Maximas but still hang around on this board, but you need to sell and join the beemer board or something, so you can tell everyone on that board how great their cars are.

Everytime I read a thread, and see that you have posted I cringe. Almost without fail, you are bagging on the Maxima or on something someone wants to do to the Maxima.

You didn't ask for my opinion, and I don't care. You don't seem to mind that most aren't asking for yours.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:20 PM

When deciding if PS-A/S is to expensive, besides all-weather performance, keep in mind that the tire has a wear-rating of 400.

RE92's only had a wear-rating of 160 and I got 52k out of them. PS-A/S should go way past 100k the way I use it. For me, worth the extra 25% cost to get more than double the use, plus better performance.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by fst96se

Frank,
Do you drive a maxima? If so, you must have some serious self hate going on. You bag on the Maxima and Nissan in general at every turn, every chance you get it seems. You seem like a bright enough guy, your post on economies of scale made sense, but you are always trying to dissuade people from having fun with their maximas. You need to relax and quit telling people what crap they own and that they need to get a volkwagen or an audi. Many people here could have gotten a volkswagen or an audi, and they chose a Maxima. In many cases it is because the Maxima has some fun factor and is a MUCH better value than price bloated VWs, Audis, Acuras and BMWs.

I just read a bunch of your posts, you do indeed own a Maxima. Why don't you sell it and get a VW, a BMW, an AUDI, or the grand am that you said had such great steering feel? Is it because most of those cars cost much more than the Maxima?

Hallelujah(I hope that's the correct spelling), this board is meant to allow guys in PA, help out guys in TX, and so forth. I myself, have been on these board for over a year and am loving it. I bought my intake, my y-pipe, my wheels, my rotors and Stillen pads, all based on org. member recommendations and suggestions. Folks here are great, I can'r rave enough about them. My next car will probably be a 330CI, until then I love my Max., and will continue to mod it. The Max. is not god's gift to the automotive world, but in its class, is the best bang for the buck going. VW?, Get real, even the automotive world's media would not put a Passat over our Maxes, there is no contest. Now, a 330CI, or a Jaguar, or a Lexus, if you can pay $800 per month car payment, have a happy life in the bimmer forums. I'll join you sometime next year over there. Until then, I think I'll go open up my Max on central, at about 80-90MPH. Ciao.

You really need to get out of the Maxima, and off of this board. I am sure you contribute some, but most of what I see is that you just don't like the Maxima. If someone thinks the Max is god's chariot, let em. Pride of ownership, some are REALLY proud of their Geos. There are lots of people that have sold their Maximas but still hang around on this board, but you need to sell and join the beemer board or something, so you can tell everyone on that board how great their cars are.

Everytime I read a thread, and see that you have posted I cringe. Almost without fail, you are bagging on the Maxima or on something someone wants to do to the Maxima.

You didn't ask for my opinion, and I don't care. You don't seem to mind that most aren't asking for yours.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by fst96se

Frank,

You must have graduated college to use so many tedious (simple is ok, complicated is not nec. better) words. 2 words--EXECUTIVE SUMMARY!!

Seriously? I like to contribute technically when possible. I don't make the max into something it's not. It's a great, cheap car that anybody, and I mean anybody can afford. Are you kidding? 190 hp, 4 - 5 years old and only $8995 on the used market. Why get rid of it? Keep it and drive it forever. That's great that you're getting a 330Ci. 325 is no slouch either. Those guys on the bimmer board didn't praise the new E46 steering, they said how much it s*****, and when BMWCCA got involved, BMWNA retrofitted the racks. Why be so limp-wristed about the Maxima's steering?
Old 09-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: COSTCO out of Pilot Sports? What...

You must have graduated college to use so many tedious (simple is ok, complicated is not nec. better) words. 2 words--EXECUTIVE SUMMARY!!

Seriously? I like to contribute technically when possible. I don't make the max into something it's not. It's a great, cheap car that anybody, and I mean anybody can afford. Are you kidding? 190 hp, 4 - 5 years old and only $8995 on the used market. Why get rid of it? Keep it and drive it forever. That's great that you're getting a 330Ci. 325 is no slouch either. Those guys on the bimmer board didn't praise the new E46 steering, they said how much it s*****, and when BMWCCA got involved, BMWNA retrofitted the racks. Why be so limp-wristed about the Maxima's steering?
Are you kidding me? I won't spend what the auctions are bringing for a BMW nowadays. No thanks. Just what I thought, you MIGHT actually like your Maxima for what it is. However, if someone likes the car, owns the car, and thinks it is a little cooler than you do, what's the harm, Frank?

I don't care for the steering really in my 96 i30. I like the steering feel of my 99 se better. My other car is an Expedition though, so I won't complain too much about the steering feel in my i30.

College grad? Ya, a few times with several degrees. If you care to know what they are, PM me. You were talking in another thread like an Econ grad. Or student.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:26 AM

Sears has the Michelin Pilot Sports on sale and in STOCK for 196.68 in 235/50/17. They also have the 225/50/17's available on sale but I did not check the price. Give them a call if Costco is still not coming through.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: COSTCO out of Pilot Sports? What...

Those guys on the bimmer board didn't praise the new E46 steering, they said how much it s*****, and when BMWCCA got involved, BMWNA retrofitted the racks. Why be so limp-wristed about the Maxima's steering?
Frank, just for the record, BMW fixed the steering for 2002 models. The feeling is just awesome. I can't believe how big the difference is from Maxima's steering.

In regards to tires, I think Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position is the best tire you can get for your car. Tires make a huge difference in handling, don't overlook that.