General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

People with Drag Slick knowledge: What PSI should I use at first?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 07:06 PM
SLOW

People with Drag Slick knowledge: What PSI should I use at first?

I was thinking of starting out at 14psi and working my way down from there.

Has anyone ever used dishwashing liquid to coat the inside of the tire and seal the bead? Has anyone gone without it? This was suggested to me by the man I spoke to at M&H.

Also, is there anything I need to do to prep the slicks for their first run besides a nice burnout to heat em up and clean em off?
Old 09-12-2002, 08:04 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: People with Drag Slick knowledge: What PSI should I use at first?

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Has anyone ever used dishwashing liquid to coat the inside of the tire and seal the bead? Has anyone gone without it? This was suggested to me by the man I spoke to at M&H.

Also, is there anything I need to do to prep the slicks for their first run besides a nice burnout to heat em up and clean em off?
I used dishwashing liquid to do that. I put the slicks on the tires by hand, the liquid was mainly for lubrication.

im still not sure what the optimum pressure is though. I'll probably know by Sunday.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:49 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: People with Drag Slick knowledge: What PSI should I use at first?

Please spare the trouble and get them mounted. Mounting them by hand was the biggest pain in the ***. Just sharing my experience SR almost broke his arm when he was mounting one his arm got stuck between the wheel and the tire when it popped on. He was a gimp for the rest of the day

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Old 09-13-2002, 05:35 AM
VQ Wizard

Yeah I was looking at my hurting wrist like .
Old 09-13-2002, 05:39 AM
Blu
the tits

sealing the bead was a PIA also

Originally posted by SR20DEN
Yeah I was looking at my hurting wrist like .
Old 09-13-2002, 06:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

13 was good for me, I started at 16 and worked my way down. You will feel it as they get better. Mine felt like they were still spinning a bit but my 60's were 1.9's so I wasent worried. I was launching at 5k with just boost. So launch it hard and dont worry!

Got AAA?
Old 09-13-2002, 06:15 AM
Blu
the tits

so whens your 12 sec pass gonna be. 12.5 should be no problem with slicks for all that power

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
13 was good for me, I started at 16 and worked my way down. You will feel it as they get better. Mine felt like they were still spinning a bit but my 60's were 1.9's so I wasent worried. I was launching at 5k with just boost. So launch it hard and dont worry!

Got AAA?
Old 09-13-2002, 12:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Get some AmerSeal tire sealant (or equivalent) from Wal-mart to lub and seal the tire to rim. No tube is needed for slicks with tire sealant and it also helps keep the tire from turning on the rim. I have ran as low as 10 psi on a 1.36 60' and no problem without rim screws. With my Mustang that is!

If you have your tires installed at Discount then have them put the sealer on. They carry a good sealer that works great too.

With the tire manufactures recommended width rim for your size slick, you will be able to run more pressure and hold traction. The tire will not crown and will leave a wider foot print with the correct width rim. The more pressure you have the less drag on the top end as long as you stick when launching.