General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Painting center caps on 97 SE wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 12:25 PM

Painting center caps on 97 SE wheels

Anyone know what shade/brand of silver spray paint would match the silver of the rest of the wheel? I've got the caps and my wheels are in great shape but the paint has rubbed off the caps. THanks
Old 09-13-2002, 01:24 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Painting center caps on 97 SE wheels

Originally posted by Remington
Anyone know what shade/brand of silver spray paint would match the silver of the rest of the wheel? I've got the caps and my wheels are in great shape but the paint has rubbed off the caps. THanks
Duplicolor is the brand...but I do not remember the color. I color matched mine, then painted them gunmetal, b/c I wanted the contrast...
Old 09-13-2002, 01:37 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: Painting center caps on 97 SE wheels

Originally posted by phenryiv1

Duplicolor is the brand...but I do not remember the color. I color matched mine, then painted them gunmetal, b/c I wanted the contrast...
Sir Patrick Henry! You are back from the dead! We must go to war! Give me Liberty or give me death!
Old 09-13-2002, 08:03 PM

I painted mine when they faded to this ugly yellowish color. Now they look brand new. Of course, they're not on my car anymore. Oh well.

Anyways, the paint is made by Duplicolor. It actually said "WHEEL PAINT" on the can I bought, but I don't remember the exact color that I bought.

Hope this helps.
-Nick
Old 09-15-2002, 12:21 AM

Re: Painting center caps on 97 SE wheels

Originally posted by Remington
I did my '97 SE centercaps a while back. After testing a couple different colors, I settled on Plasti-Kote Car Color # CC 9079. Very hard to tell they aren't original. I originally had a hard time prepping them (getting all the old wax, etc... off), but then soaked them in finger nail polish remover for only about 2 minutes. Paint stuck very well, with no fish eyes, bubbles, etc... A few light coats will do it. I waited about a week or so, then waxed them with the rest of the rim. I didn't use a clear coat, because the clear coats I have used eventually all turned yellowish (maybe I was using cheap stuff, I don't know). Anyways, I just maintain them the same as the rest of the rim (clean weekly and wax monthly or so). I still have plenty of paint left over if ever needed again. Hope this helps.

Dave