General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Voxx Scorze 18x9, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 07:43 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Spend the money on a VI and drag tires. There's nothing wrong with the rims you have. Hmmmmm...an extra 30+fwhp and a .3-.4 second quicker and 3mph faster car or a pimp ride that's modified yet is no faster than stock.

I don't do much street racing anymore, but I certainly push my car when I get a chance. It would bug the hell out of me if I knew my car was .5 seconds slower on the street because of my g-ride rims. I can certainly "feel" .5 difference. It's like running at the track on a 90 degree day vs running on a 60 degree day. At all speeds, the car will be slower and less responsive. I constantly read posts about guys getting "mad" launches from thier big rims. The truth is the big rims induce a lot of bog therefore the driver believes they are getting a solid launch because their rims aren't loosing traction. Put that car on the track and the driver will see that thier awesome launch is only a 2.4 or so. With lighter rims, you can spin the tires and still get a 2.2 60 foot. Lighter rims let you recover from a bog very quickly and heavy rims keep you in the bog much longer. Believe me, I've had both setups and I'll never go back to rims that weigh more than 20lbs each unless I've got close to 300ft/lbs of torque. Heavy rims suck out too much life from these low torque engines.

Dave
Old 09-16-2002, 07:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
Spend the money on a VI and drag tires. There's nothing wrong with the rims you have. Hmmmmm...an extra 30+fwhp and a .3-.4 second quicker and 3mph faster car or a pimp ride that's modified yet is no faster than stock.
I would say Craig is a riceboy but he's more of a muscle-look-wannabe boy.
-Cyrus
Old 09-16-2002, 08:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't do much street racing anymore, but I certainly push my car when I get a chance. It would bug the hell out of me if I knew my car was .5 seconds slower on the street because of my g-ride rims. I can certainly "feel" .5 difference. It's like running at the track on a 90 degree day vs running on a 60 degree day. At all speeds, the car will be slower and less responsive. I constantly read posts about guys getting "mad" launches from thier big rims. The truth is the big rims induce a lot of bog therefore the driver believes they are getting a solid launch because their rims aren't loosing traction. Put that car on the track and the driver will see that thier awesome launch is only a 2.4 or so. With lighter rims, you can spin the tires and still get a 2.2 60 foot. Lighter rims let you recover from a bog very quickly and heavy rims keep you in the bog much longer. Believe me, I've had both setups and I'll never go back to rims that weigh more than 20lbs each unless I've got close to 300ft/lbs of torque. Heavy rims suck out too much life from these low torque engines.

Dave
the point i was trying to make is that there is usually not a need for me on my daily drive to have to worry about my car being .5 seconds. are you a "stoplight queen"? your last post makes it sound like you launch at every stop light and see how quick you can get to the next one (and subsequently checking out how quickly you can brake!!). if this does not accurately describe the way that you drive then on a daily basis being .5s slower should not really affect you. if i go to the track or i know i'm going out for a "spirited" day of driving then i swap on my lightweight wheels... simple as that. for every other day of the week - my car looks great.

would anybody disagree that one of, if not the most distinguishing factor of your car and the one that gives it the most "sex appeal" and causes the most looks are the wheels? then why skimp with some lightweight 16's for your daily drive? you drive a maxima dave, not a ss or a z06... there's something to be said for class and looks over being able to run the 1/4 in 14 flat.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:30 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Velox VX-8

GET THOSE.

What do they weigh?

You really do not need that 9" width man..
the width of the rim will not be that visible.. they will slow you down a ton..

I was looking at those Velox wheels for a while...

check this out: might be a better price here:
http://www.importhookup.com/wheelopt...loxspecial.htm
Old 09-16-2002, 11:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

Those are the same wheels I want, but in 18X8 instead. Very nice.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:32 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by 2000 SE
From what I have found, the VX-8 is not available for our cars. I don't think that it is offered in 5x114.3.

http://winfieldtires.safeshopper.com/215/1692.htm?83

Thank God it is, you scared me for a minute.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Conrad - I love the sig.

Originally posted by Blaxxxima

Have a great night, and Craig, to keep it on topic, get those damn Velox rims man, they are gorgeous! The black is sweet, and looks fab-u-lous with the polished lip. Would make your already bad *** wannabe American pushrod V-8's b!tch ride look great!!!

Mike
Yes...I try to imulate domestic muscle as much as possible in my Japanese Family cruiser Our little VQ's make a surprisingly throaty grumble when combined with good 'ol American exhausts. (Flowmasters, borla, steeda, ect.)

Vyrus

Dave B. Dude you are speed crazy man! I am all about the fast ride, but also about looks. I mean, my Maxima probubly does a 0-60 in the very low 6's right now, which is fast enough for me!(ha..riiight) ..so I think a good set of rims are in order. Besides, these are only 18x7.5 and weigh significantly less then the Voxx's. I'll go more in depth into that in my response to Steve aka NyceMaxIma.

NyCeMaXima Velox's 19x8" cast rim weighs 27lbs., so this being a cast rim as well and being 18x7.5, I am guestimating low 20's. So maybe 1-2lbs. heavier then my current setup, and .5" thinner. (damn!) but I guess that is good for traction?
Old 09-16-2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
Those are the same wheels I want, but in 18X8 instead. Very nice.
They don't make them in 18x8! I've searched like hell this last week and haven't found any 18x8 dark/black rim with a polished lip for an affordable price that wasn't a heavy ****. These Velox's I'm looking into are only $170 a peice.

Does anyone with 7.5" rims have any pics?? I do try to make my ride look as muscular as possible, and I don't wanna look like a feminine little ricer with thin-@ss wheels.

I think my next project will be moving my duals out the the very edges of my bumper...to spread out the look of my rear..Now I have no idea how the hell to go about doing this, since my muffler sits where the stock one does. Oh well, I can still dream
Old 09-16-2002, 12:55 PM

Vyrus was saying how these rims might look tacky to some people becuase the black MIGHT not match the paint of my car 100%. What do you guys think about that? We both think it would look tight anyways, but I guess some people are **** about that stuff?

Can someone please photoshop those rims onto my car I don't know how to use it, and I am REALLY curious to what these puppies would look like. My link is under homepage to the left.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

What would all those "big block" 289 cu V8 guys do??
Old 09-16-2002, 01:05 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by CKNY

the point i was trying to make is that there is usually not a need for me on my daily drive to have to worry about my car being .5 seconds. are you a "stoplight queen"? your last post makes it sound like you launch at every stop light and see how quick you can get to the next one (and subsequently checking out how quickly you can brake!!). if this does not accurately describe the way that you drive then on a daily basis being .5s slower should not really affect you. if i go to the track or i know i'm going out for a "spirited" day of driving then i swap on my lightweight wheels... simple as that. for every other day of the week - my car looks great.
Nope, I don't launch hard from stoplights. Why would I want to abuse my tires and clutch like that? I'd say once every 3 months I might get "frisky" and run it WOT from a stop. Otherwise, I'm just going WOT on entrance ramps and open straightways and usually granny shifting. I also push the car into turns that are open and clear.

Your driving experience is completely different from my driving experience. I like to exploit the upgrades of my car at anytime I want. By adding heavy rims, I feel like I would be cheating myself. A 1/2 second feels huge to me. When people spend large amounts of money to shave .1 seconds here and there, it's beyond me why they go with heavy rims to completely negate the benefits of the performance mods (both suspension and engine). Large and heavy rims do nothing for a car except look pretty, if you're into overly large rims.

would anybody disagree that one of, if not the most distinguishing factor of your car and the one that gives it the most "sex appeal" and causes the most looks are the wheels? then why skimp with some lightweight 16's for your daily drive? you drive a maxima dave, not a ss or a z06... there's something to be said for class and looks over being able to run the 1/4 in 14 flat. [/B]
An SS has VERY a heavy rim package Each wheel/tire weighs 52lbs!!! I think my Maxima looks very classy with the simple 6 spoke 16" K1s and meaty 225/50s. I know it gets a ton looks because I constantly see teens to middle aged adults "rubber necking" to get a look at my car. Nearly every single person that sees my car says, "I like your 17s". Another reason I went with the 16s was because I wanted rims I DO NOT have to swap when I go to the track. I don't know about you, but I got really sick of swapping rims to go to the track.

Craig

Do what you want, but by reading your posts, you sure seem to be more concerned about performance than looks. These rims will kill your performance. Its not just the weight, it's the fact that the weight will be further out on the rim and the tires will be heavier. If you really want 18s, save your money and get some light Racing Harts or Volks.

Dave
Old 09-16-2002, 01:42 PM

Craig

Do what you want, but by reading your posts, you sure seem to be more concerned about performance than looks. These rims will kill your performance. Its not just the weight, it's the fact that the weight will be further out on the rim and the tires will be heavier. If you really want 18s, save your money and get some light Racing Harts or Volks.

Dave
Dave, I have given up on the 18x9's, and am shooting for the Velox VX-8 18x7.5's, which only weigh in the very low 20's. So what do you mean the weight will be further down the rim? If anything, I'll get BETTER launches then now becuase my current rim is 8" thick.

As far as Racing Hart goes, I don't like any of their styles, and Volks...I would kill for some TE-37 or whatever Jane has in Gunmetal. The problem Is for a set of 18x8.5 Volks with tires I could buy and install a friggen' supercharger.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
What would all those "big block" 289 cu V8 guys do??
shoo! shoo!
Old 09-17-2002, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

http://winfieldtires.safeshopper.com/215/1692.htm?83

Thank God it is, you scared me for a minute.
Right on!! I have been to site after site, and other Velox wheels were 5x114.3, but not the VX-8. I am glad you found then in our size, now I can seriously be happy happy with those.

What package price are they giving you?
Old 09-17-2002, 07:37 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Dave, I have given up on the 18x9's, and am shooting for the Velox VX-8 18x7.5's, which only weigh in the very low 20's. So what do you mean the weight will be further down the rim? If anything, I'll get BETTER launches then now becuase my current rim is 8" thick.
Wide and low profile tire WILL NOT get you more traction off the line. If anything, your traction off the line will be worse with the 18s. Think about it for a second. The total area of a tire's contact patch will not change assuming the car stays the same weight. The only thing that changes with the contact patch when changing tire/rim widths and heights is the shape of the contact patch. The 18" contact patch will be wide, but very narrow. This type of contact patch is good for cornering, not straightline. A narrower and taller tire has narrow yet long contact patch (ie better for straightline stick). The same principal applies to snow tires. Narrower tires bite thru the snow where as wide tires "hover" above the snow. The 18s will also have very stiff sidewalls which will transfer much of the driveline shock on a launch directly to the tread and spin the tires.

Worse 60', more unsprung weight, more rotating mass.....slower car.

Dave
Old 10-21-2002, 11:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Craig - everyone is worried about weight

The 9" width is not a problem, I have 20x9's and I had to roll out the fender on the back, but everything is ok.
Check out my cardomain website to see picts..