General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Another convert from CAI to Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 07:31 PM

Another convert from CAI to Hybrid

I cant believe how much high end power I had until I recently took out the lower CAI pipe and made a hybrid and the gains were VERY noticable I thought I wasnt going to feel much but I cant believe how hard it now pulls at almost any speed except from a stop. What Im going to do now with my CAI hole in the fender is to get some flexible tubing and run an air scoop from the hole of the foglights and run it straight through the hole and face it to the filter for some extra air
Old 09-17-2002, 09:52 PM

So did you get lowend back and gain high end too??? I might just have to look into this if so.....
Old 09-18-2002, 12:13 AM

I didnt really feel any low end lag but thats maybe because I never really floored the car from a stop much so I couldnt really tell the difference from hybrid and CAI from a stop. However, I felt a very huge gain when the car is moving though. I did a few runs tonight.I Took the car to the same road when it had CAI and not only hybrid pushed me back in the seat harder but you can watch the tach and speedometer rise much higher and faster than the CAI did
Old 09-18-2002, 12:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My opinion, I think it is in your head.

Dixit
Old 09-18-2002, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Dixit
I dont think so, I was very bias towards my CAI so this is not one of those "I think I felt more power because people told me I would"
Old 09-18-2002, 05:11 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I think we need direct before & after dyno runs. Anything else is merely opinion.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:31 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Simple test, try it out at the track with the hybrid and then CAI. All you need to do is compare the trap speeds. I've got money saying the hybrid will post a higher trap speed (ie more power).

Dave
Old 09-18-2002, 07:40 AM

Hybrid is the way to go in my opinion.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
I think we need direct before & after dyno runs. Anything else is merely opinion.
hear hear
Old 09-18-2002, 08:45 AM

Do you want to sell the lower tube? I have a frankencar intake and wouldnt mind experimenting with it..let me know

Mike
Old 09-18-2002, 08:58 AM

Re: Another convert from CAI to Hybrid

Originally posted by Nismo
I cant believe how much high end power I had until I recently took out the lower CAI pipe and made a hybrid and the gains were VERY noticable I thought I wasnt going to feel much but I cant believe how hard it now pulls at almost any speed except from a stop. What Im going to do now with my CAI hole in the fender is to get some flexible tubing and run an air scoop from the hole of the foglights and run it straight through the hole and face it to the filter for some extra air
I agree with ya.. once I got mine on, the pull in the high end is awsome.. IMO

BTW: Your Homepage link is broke!! I'd like to see your intake..
Old 09-18-2002, 09:10 AM

Did you notice it right away?

I wonder if it will feel the same after a week of driving; I found that after any changes the ECU took a little bit to learn the changes.

If you continue to claim the same increases in a week, maybe hybrid is the way to go for me too!
Old 09-18-2002, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by soopermax02
Did you notice it right away?

I wonder if it will feel the same after a week of driving; I found that after any changes the ECU took a little bit to learn the changes.

If you continue to claim the same increases in a week, maybe hybrid is the way to go for me too!
Yeah, I noticed it right away.. well, just after I accepted that my car now sounds like a friggin throaty V8 or something, but I like that growl now also, after a couple of weeks now, there's a whistling sound starting to become more frequent too.. Anyone else hearing that in thiers?
Old 09-18-2002, 10:08 AM

Maybe I'm just lost but how can I make my POP intake into hybrid. Is it just an extra tube that conects to the cone?
Old 09-18-2002, 11:18 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Maybe I'm just lost but how can I make my POP intake into hybrid. Is it just an extra tube that conects to the cone?
A hybrid is simply leaving the upper tube or mid pipe in place and placing a filter on maf sensor adapter. you can look at the pipes at either berk or franken. it will increase noise because it eliminates the stock resonator.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by sloppymax

A hybrid is simply leaving the upper tube or mid pipe in place and placing a filter on maf sensor adapter. you can look at the pipes at either berk or franken. it will increase noise because it eliminates the stock resonator.
Thanks a lot my friend!
Old 09-18-2002, 11:37 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

no problem.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:06 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I did a big write up on by conversion from CAI to Hybrid. Check it out:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=CAI+to+hybrid

Since I am 5spd I felt NO lag in low end power, and DEFINATALLY felt it pull harder after 4,000RPMs. I agree with Dave B. that is tried and true.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:14 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

i still dont understand why people are debating this topic.

like a year and half after the first initial posts.

aiya!

PR upper piece, JWT or stillen pop charger will produce better hp overall.

i said it before. ill say it again.
CAI is great for low end power. but it sucks on the top end dueto the resonance of air flow.
to combat the die off, you want the air to flow faster at higher rpms, the only way is to have the intake closer to the TB.

adding a popcharger to the end of a full PR CAI will help a little bit, but not as much as this "hybrid" intake system.

every intake system has its draw backs. just pick one of the lesser evils.

--cheston.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:26 AM
Handsome

Re: Re: Another convert from CAI to Hybrid

Originally posted by Chebosto
i still dont understand why people are debating this topic.

like a year and half after the first initial posts.

aiya!

PR upper piece, JWT or stillen pop charger will produce better hp overall.

i said it before. ill say it again.
CAI is great for low end power. but it sucks on the top end dueto the resonance of air flow.
to combat the die off, you want the air to flow faster at higher rpms, the only way is to have the intake closer to the TB.

adding a popcharger to the end of a full PR CAI will help a little bit, but not as much as this "hybrid" intake system.

every intake system has its draw backs. just pick one of the lesser evils.

--cheston.
Do you speak from exprience, if I'm not mistaken you used to have the place racing intake? Unless to smooth out the incoming air I don't see how a midpipe is going to be an advantage over a pop charger, since they both get incoming air from the engine bay. If this piping is good why would a PR CAI not be better, it's piping doesn't seem that much longer, but it draws air from outside the engine. Has the length of the midpipe been R & D, is this the optimal length for an intake pipe. Was it just an accident that those who engineered the CAI just happened to make the midpipe the perfect length even though this was not in their design plans. What would your opinion be for an optimal intake for
Five speed 0-60 ( )
Five speed 1/4 mile ( )
Auto 0-60 ( )
Auto 1/4 mile ( )

Any information would be helpfull, how is the supercharger rebuild coming?
Old 09-21-2002, 09:17 AM
Handsome

What was the CAI that you where running?
Old 09-21-2002, 10:28 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

I'm switching too

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=153098
Old 09-21-2002, 11:02 AM

oddly enough, when i put in my custom (had a muffler shop cut a pipe for me) hybrid the other night, i reset my ecu and went for a drive... it could tell an immediate difference. but as i drove the next day, it didn't feel the same. granted the air temp was about 60 that night and about 85 the next day. but even the following night it didn't feel as strong... so i reset my ecu again.. and it felt like it did the first night.. i was spinning 2nd and i chirpted 3rd twice. is there something to this or am i just imagining the diff. after i reset my ecu?
Old 09-21-2002, 12:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Dixit
Cheston and BrianV did a dyno test of Cheston's hybrid and Brian's PR Intake. both with Stillen cone filter attached to it.

Brian's CAI had slight edge in low-end power, but after that, it was all Hybrid..CAI fell short of Hybrid intake's top-end..

to read about this article, go to www.maximadriver.com and find it under the tech article section. http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/caivssi.html
Old 09-21-2002, 12:16 PM

after crashing my old max, i bought a newer one. i have my place racing CAI getting ready to be shipped. do you guys think i should just get a hybrid intake, or get a jwt popcharger?? my top is ok, i actually want my low end better but i dont want to loose my top end, i love it should i replace an order??? where can i get a hybrid if so. thanks
Old 09-21-2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by irvine78

Cheston and BrianV did a dyno test of Cheston's hybrid and Brian's PR Intake. both with Stillen cone filter attached to it.

Brian's CAI had slight edge in low-end power, but after that, it was all Hybrid..CAI fell short of Hybrid intake's top-end..

to read about this article, go to www.maximadriver.com and find it under the tech article section. http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/caivssi.html
those dyno posts are for just a pop charger... not a hybrid. though there might not be a significant diff. in the power curve between a hybrid and a pop charger.. i just thought i would bring it up. BUT... i think there is a diff. in the power band from when i had my pop vs. my new hybrid... but as with everyone else, i have only my butt to back it up.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Another convert from CAI to Hybrid

Originally posted by Street Reeper

Do you speak from exprience, if I'm not mistaken you used to have the place racing intake? Unless to smooth out the incoming air I don't see how a midpipe is going to be an advantage over a pop charger, since they both get incoming air from the engine bay. If this piping is good why would a PR CAI not be better, it's piping doesn't seem that much longer, but it draws air from outside the engine. Has the length of the midpipe been R & D, is this the optimal length for an intake pipe. Was it just an accident that those who engineered the CAI just happened to make the midpipe the perfect length even though this was not in their design plans. What would your opinion be for an optimal intake for
Five speed 0-60 ( )
Five speed 1/4 mile ( )
Auto 0-60 ( )
Auto 1/4 mile ( )

Any information would be helpfull, how is the supercharger rebuild coming?
IMO having a long intake runner isn't good for top-end..even 5th gens VI uses the same tech..switches overs to shorter runner for better top end..
Old 09-21-2002, 03:56 PM

Has anyone tested this on a third gen? It seemed that when I bought my CAI, the consensus was that CAI was much better than the alternative. Would a WSP CAI work the same for making a hybrid?
Old 09-21-2002, 05:48 PM

Re: Re: Another convert from CAI to Hybrid

Originally posted by Street Reeper

What was the CAI that you where running?
It was a PR cai and now Im using it as hybrid.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl
I'm switching too

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=153098
Next time you go to the track, please post times with the hybrid and hopefully the temperature is the same as the last time you went
Old 09-21-2002, 11:14 PM

Next time you go to the track, please post times with the hybrid and hopefully the temperature is the same as the last time you went
took out the lower piping today and converted the CAI into hybrid. Drove her into NYC, felt real nice (both on highway and whistling thru city streets). I can 'feel' the positive difference already. I will post track numbers next month. Hopefully the temperature drops

Ange
Old 09-22-2002, 06:34 AM

POP vs CAI vs Hybrid

there has been a lot of discussion surrounding this topic. has anyone done a recent dyno comparison?
Old 09-22-2002, 08:12 AM
nc00max

So just out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there going to be if I just put my CAI filter on the end of the mid-section as opposed to a JWT style filter?

Kinda a n00b question, but I'm curious because I'd prefer not to have to go out and get another cone intake, and my old JWT is MIA.

I would think nothing at all, but everyone seems to be doing it that way.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:18 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by nc00max
So just out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there going to be if I just put my CAI filter on the end of the mid-section as opposed to a JWT style filter?
what you have described is exactly a hybrid setup.... Give it a try, you may like it ...plus you already have all the parts needed.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:42 AM
nc00max

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

what you have described is exactly a hybrid setup.... Give it a try, you may like it ...plus you already have all the parts needed.
Ahhh, ok, I just saw the comments about people using the JWT/Stillen cone style on the end instead of their CAI filter, but I didn't think it made a difference.

Soon as Schucks auto parts opens up (need K&N cleaner), I'll give it a shot and report back.

Hopefully I'll see some gains. Free mods are nice when you live in Seattle and have a fiance the lives in Tucson. Not exactly cheap to fly down every month...

Old 09-22-2002, 03:41 PM
nc00max

Hmmm, well, I tested it this morning when it was fairly cool out, and now it's maybe 10 degrees warmer. I decided to break out the digital video camera, and actually compare numbers that way, along with my butt dyno.

I'm *hoping* the temp outside made a big difference, because the car didn't feel any quicker, and judging from the times on my vids, the hybrid was about almost 1.5 seconds slower 0-60, and about a second slower from 30-60 and 50-90. I reset the ECU when I did the change, so I don't think that's it. So, would the temp make that kind of difference, does the ECU just need more time to adjust, or is my car just different from the others who've had good experiences with it? Any ideas? I'm not really looking forward to putting the CAI back on...

I think I did it right...I had a slight fitment issue due to the nitrous solendoids, but that was it. Hmmm...

Old 09-22-2002, 05:09 PM
Got Bent?

Hmmm, well, I tested it this morning when it was fairly cool out, and now it's maybe 10 degrees warmer. I decided to break out the digital video camera, and actually compare numbers that way, along with my butt dyno.

I'm *hoping* the temp outside made a big difference, because the car didn't feel any quicker, and judging from the times on my vids, the hybrid was about almost 1.5 seconds slower 0-60, and about a second slower from 30-60 and 50-90. I reset the ECU when I did the change, so I don't think that's it. So, would the temp make that kind of difference, does the ECU just need more time to adjust, or is my car just different from the others who've had good experiences with it? Any ideas? I'm not really looking forward to putting the CAI back on...

I think I did it right...I had a slight fitment issue due to the nitrous solendoids, but that was it. Hmmm...
setup looks ok... give it some time... low end is going to feel a little different from the CAI....
Old 09-22-2002, 05:30 PM
nc00max

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

setup looks ok... give it some time... low end is going to feel a little different from the CAI....
Yeah, but it should still be quicker overall, right? Everyone else felt an immediate difference, while I drove 40 miles round trip to base and it didn't noticably improve. I'll give it a week and see if the ECU learns the new toy, but after that, I think I'm gonna go back.

Old 09-23-2002, 12:43 PM

converted...

not looking as pretty as before (CAI)... much better response at top end.