General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

It's scary how many people warm up a car the wrong way....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by WoodEar
Cool!!! I never warm up my car, but I guess I was doing the right way the whole time then!!!
Me neither
Old 08-29-2002, 10:12 PM

wow, I'm still confused
Old 08-29-2002, 10:27 PM

woo talk about an old thread; i can see the spider webs and dust all over this thread that we're trying to dust off..
Old 08-30-2002, 12:16 AM

Whoa, woodear, i haven't seen u post in at least a year or so...
hows the lexus? hows the BMW?

Originally posted by WoodEar
Cool!!! I never warm up my car, but I guess I was doing the right way the whole time then!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by MaximaMan
Whoa, woodear, i haven't seen u post in at least a year or so...
hows the lexus? hows the BMW?

Look at the date of this thread..
Old 08-30-2002, 01:04 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

woodear, deathwish.. hahaha the old gang.

isnt this the second revival of this thread? sheesh!
Old 08-30-2002, 01:31 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Yep, This is very true. The best way to warm up a car is as you described. Let it idle for about 30-60 second, then start driving. Another thing after you start driving is to go slow for awhile. I usually creep along my neighborhood around 15 mph until I get to the main road. I don't rev over 3K until the temp gauge is in the middle.

yea, i warm up the same way
Old 08-30-2002, 05:21 AM

Re: not convinced

Originally posted by LeoB
None of my cars ever had any engine problems at the time I sold them, which was usually after about 200,000 miles.
I personally feel that warming up the car for extended peroids (5-20 mins) is OK, and my 93SE never complained in it's 200,000 miles either. Granted, there is such a thing as excessive idling, but they's talking about looooonger periods of time than a few minutes.

misc thoughts:

Gas will burn off more quickly than oil because it was designed to, it's more volatile. Oil has to be able to NOT burn off at a normal operating temperature. FWIW I just switched to synthetic for a number of reasons, including free flow in cold temperatures. It is true however that oil pressure is at maximum at idle.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:13 AM

Re: Re: not convinced

Originally posted by pvaudo

I personally feel that warming up the car for extended peroids (5-20 mins) is OK, and my 93SE never complained in it's 200,000 miles either. Granted, there is such a thing as excessive idling, but they's talking about looooonger periods of time than a few minutes.
20 minutes isn't a "looooong" time to idle?

Hell ... 10 minutes is a long time!
Old 08-30-2002, 07:34 AM

On a separate, but related topic: Once the engine is warm, does long, extended idling do any harm to it? I live in Houston, and I usually idle my Max with A/C on for 40-60 minutes while waiting for my kids (sports, school). Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:38 AM
Zam

On a similar note...

Originally posted by LucentAUTO

well i guess this is why we all should buy a 2001 m3 and m5, it tells u when ur car is ready hehe

VOOomm

M POWER
Here's a letter in response to some problems with the E46 M3...

M3 Letter from BMWUSA

Zam
Old 08-30-2002, 12:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: On a similar note...

Originally posted by Zam

Here's a letter in response to some problems with the E46 M3...

M3 Letter from BMWUSA

Zam
Whoa!? Those Bimmers use 10W-60 oil! I've never heard of such a spread. Bill, Iwanna, Parker where are you guys? Help me understand how such an oil is good for any vehicle. It must be loaded with VIs right? 50 point spreads....my goodness!
Old 08-30-2002, 12:40 PM

Re: Re: On a similar note...

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever

Whoa!? Those Bimmers use 10W-60 oil! I've never heard of such a spread. Bill, Iwanna, Parker where are you guys? Help me understand how such an oil is good for any vehicle. It must be loaded with VIs right? 50 point spreads....my goodness!
The orginal M3 was basically a street legal race car for it's time. The E36 compromised on this a little, and, at least performance wise, the E46 M3's are more "race" oriented than street oriented again. The S54 engines have more in common with an engine in a "race" car than a passenger car. They have very loose tolerances, and are purpose built this way, so a 60 wt. oil is what they should use. A motor of that size generating that amount of power needs a serious oil film to help prevent failure. It's definitely not your typical production motor, part of the reason why they seem to be grenading.

The viscosity spread seems large, but it's not much more than a 0W-40 is. I also have a feeling that the oil falls near the extreme top of the 10W wt. range, and is closer to a 15W range. Since this oil wasn't really designed for longevity, but rather protection, how long the oil can maintain this viscosity spread isn't really an issue. On a side note, the large viscosity spread and the loose tolerances probably has a lot to do with why these engines drink oil more often. Those are some of my theories anyway.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:50 PM

OMG, thirds times the charm?
Old 08-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: On a similar note...

Originally posted by iwannabmw

The orginal M3 was basically a street legal race car for it's time. The E36 compromised on this a little, and, at least performance wise, the E46 M3's are more "race" oriented than street oriented again. The S54 engines have more in common with an engine in a "race" car than a passenger car. They have very loose tolerances, and are purpose built this way, so a 60 wt. oil is what they should use. A motor of that size generating that amount of power needs a serious oil film to help prevent failure. It's definitely not your typical production motor, part of the reason why they seem to be grenading.

The viscosity spread seems large, but it's not much more than a 0W-40 is. I also have a feeling that the oil falls near the extreme top of the 10W wt. range, and is closer to a 15W range. Since this oil wasn't really designed for longevity, but rather protection, how long the oil can maintain this viscosity spread isn't really an issue. On a side note, the large viscosity spread and the loose tolerances probably has a lot to do with why these engines drink oil more often. Those are some of my theories anyway.
Interesting info, I appreciate the response. What weight oil do true racecars use such as Nascar, Cart, IRL, F1. I assume they use a straight weight oil of some viscosity but I've never known how high they are. I guess by the numbers its not that much more than a 40 weight oil, but its a full 25% higher number in the viscosity spread, surely that adds up, if not directly proportional then at some rate. Interesting nonetheless, wish I could drive one!
Old 08-30-2002, 06:13 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Re: On a similar note...

Originally posted by iwannabmw

I pretty much concur with Mark's thoughts here.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:11 PM
john2002max

Originally posted by Dave B
It seems that nearly every "non-car" person and even soon people in this forum think that the best way to warm up a car in the winter is to let it idle for 5-20 minutes. If these people only knew the damage they are doing to their motors. None seem to believe me when I tell them what happens by doing this poorly choosen warm up procedure. By letting a cold motor idle for a length of time, the oil does not circulate throughout the whole motor. Instead, it mostly "pools" around the lower half of the motor therefore increasing wear along cams and such. On a cold engine start up and under normal running temps, the ECU is running a very rich fuel program to make the engine warm up as fast possible. What does this mean for the motor? It means A LOT of fuel isn't getting burned and is seeping into the oil and degrading it quickly. Also, the rich exhaust will eventually foul the cat.

People just don't understand that you should start driving a cold car as soon as the oil pressure gets into the normal range which is about 30-60 seconds after start up. It sounds hard on a cold engine to begin driving nearly right away after starting it, but it isn't true. It is far less strenuous on the motor to warm up under load (ie driving). Why? Because the oil circulates better, the fuel program becomes leaner, and the increased tranny heat begins to help warm up the motor.

Why does this worry me? Because I will always buy used cars and you never know if the prior owner was misinformed about warming up a motor.

Dave

Your absolutly right Dave! Just don't run the RMP's up to high on a cold engine. Nice and easy until you reach normal engine Temp.

John

Old 08-31-2002, 07:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: not convinced

Originally posted by clee130
20 minutes isn't a "looooong" time to idle?
Hell ... 10 minutes is a long time!
For everyday driving I agree.. I was thinking in the middle of winter, when I'm scraping off ice and cleaning around the car.

I think extended idling is NOT harmful, as long as you do some real driving as well.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: not convinced

Originally posted by pvaudo

For everyday driving I agree.. I was thinking in the middle of winter, when I'm scraping off ice and cleaning around the car.

I think extended idling is NOT harmful, as long as you do some real driving as well.
Did you even read the rest of the thread? Or the first post even? That's a lot of snow if you're out cleaning your car for 20 minutes. Even if there is a lot of snow, a couple of minutes should get the windows all heated up for you to clean it up and go.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:08 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Originally posted by 95MaxSE
On a separate, but related topic: Once the engine is warm, does long, extended idling do any harm to it? I live in Houston, and I usually idle my Max with A/C on for 40-60 minutes while waiting for my kids (sports, school). Thanks in advance.
I would like some info on this too, as I alsi live in Houston and tend to leave my car running, even when i pump gas just cause i don't like the start/stop that is so common here.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:37 PM

Also, the rich exhaust will eventually foul the cat.
Dave
shietttttttttttttt so could that be why i have my SES light...damn...i had the codes pulled and it said
CAT EFFECI UNDER THRESHOLD...dunno why i got that but now i guess my warmups could be why...whoops...btw, i usually give the car about 2-3 mins at most...
atw
Old 09-01-2002, 07:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: not convinced

Originally posted by clee130
Did you even read the rest of the thread? Or the first post even? That's a lot of snow if you're out cleaning your car for 20 minutes. Even if there is a lot of snow, a couple of minutes should get the windows all heated up for you to clean it up and go.
If I'm idling the car for 20 minutes, chances are that I AM still cleaning snow ice and crap, but from AROUND the car as well. In that particular winter weather, chances are a plow has come by and built a foot-high wall of frozen slush at the end of my driveway. Who knows, I might be out there MORE than 20 minutes shoveling. Did you consider this?

I don't know why this is such a big deal.. myself and at least one other poster reported putting 200,000 miles on these cars, idling certainly didn't cause any problem.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:11 AM

lol

[ bump ]
Old 09-04-2002, 11:52 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Does it really scare you when you find out how people warm up their car, or anger you?
Old 10-08-2002, 03:50 PM

Is there a final answer for this thread? We still haven't come to an agreement after 2 years! I need to know a final answer because next week I have to warm up the car before going to school.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:25 PM

It seems that nearly every "non-car" person and even soon people in this forum think that the best way to warm up a car in the winter is to let it idle for 5-20 minutes. If these people only knew the damage they are doing to their motors. None seem to believe me when I tell them what happens by doing this poorly choosen warm up procedure. By letting a cold motor idle for a length of time, the oil does not circulate throughout the whole motor. Instead, it mostly "pools" around the lower half of the motor therefore increasing wear along cams and such. On a cold engine start up and under normal running temps, the ECU is running a very rich fuel program to make the engine warm up as fast possible. What does this mean for the motor? It means A LOT of fuel isn't getting burned and is seeping into the oil and degrading it quickly. Also, the rich exhaust will eventually foul the cat.

People just don't understand that you should start driving a cold car as soon as the oil pressure gets into the normal range which is about 30-60 seconds after start up. It sounds hard on a cold engine to begin driving nearly right away after starting it, but it isn't true. It is far less strenuous on the motor to warm up under load (ie driving). Why? Because the oil circulates better, the fuel program becomes leaner, and the increased tranny heat begins to help warm up the motor.

Why does this worry me? Because I will always buy used cars and you never know if the prior owner was misinformed about warming up a motor.

Dave

Hey Dave B, pretty good explanation for a southern guy, another good thing to do is to plug the Block heater in winter it keeps the oil warm so when you crank the starter the oil pump is not rushing to get the molasse up in the engine.

Cheers

AA
Old 10-08-2002, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
Is there a final answer for this thread? We still haven't come to an agreement after 2 years! I need to know a final answer because next week I have to warm up the car before going to school.
Hehe I remember this post the FIRST, SECOND, THIRD, and now FOURTH time its been resurrected. I think warm up time is different for everyone. And as far as I am concerned, I don't care if they warm it up for 10 seconds or 10 minutes, as long as they aren't driving the car like maniacs, then everyone else is safer on the road.

BTW, to add my 2 cents in, the only time I warm up the car is when its freezing cold outside, and I don't want to freeze my fingers off while driving. But even then I'll warm it up for a minute and then go. Normally, I idle it long enough between the time I put on my seatbelt, release the brake, and change gears, which is like maybe 5 seconds.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:30 PM

There will never be a final answer to this thread, it's like which brand of oil, gas etc. is best.

On the plus side, I guess since this thread keeps popping up people are actually searvhing for it
Old 10-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

im too lazy to rad 4 pages, gave up after 1.5

i warm up until the needle is not on C,,,
sometimes more...

but isnt reving and racing the shiit outa the engine 'worse'??
i would think so..
Old 10-09-2002, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by killer2002SE
but isnt reving and racing the shiit outa the engine 'worse'??
i would think so..
Yes, it should be driven nicely until well after the temp gauge has reached the middle of the scale. That gauge only indicates water temp, engine oil, gear oil/ATF and the different metals in the engine take a lot longer to reach the correct operating temperature and are just as important.