General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need Help PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 03:37 PM

Need Help PLEASE!!!

My car is 1 year old with 44k miles, mostly highway. I was hearing this noise from the clutch while cruising so I took it to the dealer. The clutch doesn't slip at all. I was told that I have an overheated flywheel. I was also told that this part is not covered under warantee. I purchased the extended warantee. The service advisor told me that if this happened before 36k miles that it was covered unconditionally. Since I have an extended warantee bumper to bumper coverage should increase to 50k miles, right?

My car was not driven hard, and can be proven by the wear of my tires, which I still have plenty of thread left. What are my options? Will Nissan Consumer affairs be able to do anything? Any favorable dealers in the NY/LI area?

TIA

Items not covered under warantee: (taken from www.nissandriven.com)
Security+Plus Gold® Coverage
The following are not covered by Security+Plus Gold ®: Maintenance services, tires, wheel balance and alignment, battery, spark plugs and wires, fluids (unless required with covered repair), belts and hoses (covered under Security+Plus Gold Preferred), wiper blades, A/C recharge (unless required with covered repair) and/or conversion of the A/C system to operate on R134, lubricants and filters (unless required with covered repair), disc brake rotors and drums, brake pads, MacPherson strut inserts/shock absorbers, clutch friction disc and pressure plate, throw out bearing, audio equipment, lenses and bulbs, sealed beams, carpet and upholstery, trim, moldings, glass, bright metal, wheels, body sheet metal, exhaust system, paint and rust, squeaks and rattles, water leaks, wind noise, any component of an electrically powered vehicle, any and all in-vehicle communications systems and/or navigation systems, air bag sensors, and all items not covered by the Nissan Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty. For complete information concerning components covered, and those components which are excluded from coverage, contact your Nissan dealer.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:44 PM
Very sound, Mike

I can only say something as far as your warranty goes. For them to cover it under warranty you needed the Maintenance+ Gold plan (If i remember right). Security+ doesn't cover this as you've already posted. It's no surprise most dealerships never bring this option up as one of your choices.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:58 PM

So is a flywheel the same as a pressure plate?

What options do I have as far as an aftermarket replacement? I searched for an ACT Street Clutch, price about 325. How much is a flywheel, cheapest i found when I searched was 500 from Stillen?
Old 09-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

no, the flywheel is not the same as a pressure plate. The flywheel is bolted to the crank, and the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel.

go here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/clutch2.htm