General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Big Brake Kit and breaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 05:37 PM

Big Brake Kit and breaking

Ok I was reading someone posting about that they had to put larger brakes on the rear of their 3rd gen to equalize the braking ratio? That they were eating up rotors because the car basically was only using the front brakes? Is this true? I am interested in some big brakes, but I'm not sure about the thing....
Old 09-19-2002, 06:59 PM

Re: Big Brake Kit and breaking

Originally posted by SLC I30t
Ok I was reading someone posting about that they had to put larger brakes on the rear of their 3rd gen to equalize the braking ratio? That they were eating up rotors because the car basically was only using the front brakes? Is this true? I am interested in some big brakes, but I'm not sure about the thing....

it was matt93se. he has a 3rd gen with the wildwood kit up front. he was having problems with his brake bias and the car was going through front pads and rotors unusally fast. so what he did was use the rear rotors from a 84-89 Z (z31) there are more details but i dont remember them all. if you do a search for you will see his name come up. he posted the info and pics in 4 differnt forums here.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:30 PM

Re: Re: Big Brake Kit and breaking

Originally posted by DAREN

it was matt93se. he has a 3rd gen with the wildwood kit up front. he was having problems with his brake bias and the car was going through front pads and rotors unusally fast. so what he did was use the rear rotors from a 84-89 Z (z31) there are more details but i dont remember them all. if you do a search for you will see his name come up. he posted the info and pics in 4 differnt forums here.
I remember, I just wanted to see if anyone else is having problems. I see that Wilwood sells a rear brake system, but not an application for the Maxima. But thanks for your response.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, from the video's I have seen and what I've heard, Matt can go crazy on his car. So if the bias is more towards the front, then the pads and rotors would go more quickly. I think he said he basically had a 70/30 bias towards the front?
Old 09-19-2002, 10:52 PM

Re: Re: Big Brake Kit and breaking

Originally posted by DAREN

Yeah, he has Wilwood calipers, but can you really call it a kit? The brakes are a custom setup really using all kinds of parts , including those beefy skyline rotors up front.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Big Brake Kit and breaking

I remember, I just wanted to see if anyone else is having problems. I see that Wilwood sells a rear brake system, but not an application for the Maxima. But thanks for your response.
the 3rd gens have a smaller rear disc diameter than the 4th gen. so when he added bigger fronts it really offset his factory brake bias towards the front. on a 4th or 5th gen (having larger diameter rears) we would not be effected as much when we added larger front rotors.

the most likely reason they dont have rears for the maxima is that out parking brakes are integrated into the rear caliper itself. if you look you will see that the rear caliper has a cable operated lever on it. when you pull it, the rear piston/s will push the brake pad against the rotor manually. other cars on the market that have rear disc brakes use a different design. the rear disk also doubles as a drum for a set of cable operated shoes (drum brakes) that you cannot see unless you remover the rear caliper and disc. (mitsu eclipse with rear disc) the wildwoods were not built with this function in mind. so yes you could buy a set of rear calipers for the max but you would not have a parking brake.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:53 AM

ok cool, it seems that its a null issue for 4th and 5th gens huh?
Old 09-20-2002, 11:10 AM

mismatched front/rear brake bias is less of an issue. but... we could always use better overall braking system. shorter stopping distance, less fade are all welcome to me.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:19 AM

I have the Stillen/AP Racing kit and don't have any problems on the street or the track.

Make sure you match up your pads front and rear too, don't use weak pads in the back and supper duper grippy pads in the front.

Bleed your brakes properly twice, after you install them and then a few weeks later after some hard braking and engaging the ABS. As a note ABS helps with your BIAS concern.