General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I need everyone's help immidietly....tranny problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 12:25 PM

I need everyone's help immidietly....tranny problem.

As some of you guys know, I have a 95 GLE auto. It's running a N2O direct port setup. I have the usual add-on goodies, CAI, Y, cat-back, etc. My tranny was rebuilt 4-5 mos ago. Supposedly it had a beefier torque converter when it was done. Here's the problem now:

My car started acting funny at the track a week or so ago. I noticed that when the tranny was at either extreme end of the temp spectrum, i.e. really cold or really hot, it would stay in whatever gear it was last at. For example, early in the morning when the tranny was very cold still, I would back out of the garage and when I engaged D and started to go it would act like the car still had the emergency brake on (possibly because it was taking off in like 2nd gear), real lazy like. Suddenly it would engage first and off we went. Once the tranny got up to any temp, usually about a couple of miles down the road, it would act just fine.

Bottomline, I just took it back to the mechanic that rebuilt it and he is saying he is going to have to tear it down again and rebuild it again because he found a lot of metal in the pan. He doesn't know exactly what part messed up yet, but he said that he would have to totally rebuild because of the amount of metal in the pan.

My question here is......Can anyone tell me if there are any parts---torque converter, bands, clutches, etc.---besides the VB (which I already have) that can be put in to avoid having to rebuild every 6 mos. Are there any other Nissan or aftermarket parts available to put in to help make it stronger? How much does it usually cost for a convertion? Should I just go that route, even though my car will probably not be driveable soon?

I need help fast. My car is at the shop right this second and up on the lift, and I told him to hold on and I would decide what to do. Please post right away please.......
Old 09-26-2002, 01:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

Probably no help but you can try to contact Don in Texas for his opinion or check the for sale for the dude w/ the turbo 5-gen trying to guage interest in his Level 10 tranny. Or maybe call Level 10. They might be able to ship some build parts out to your mechanic. Sorry about the tranny
Old 09-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

There isn't much you can do unless your mechanic knows how to fabricate better parts or seen enough trannies to build you a sort of hybrid.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:17 PM

Re: I need everyone's help immidietly....tranny problem.

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

My question here is......Can anyone tell me if there are any parts---torque converter, bands, clutches, etc.---besides the VB (which I already have) that can be put in to avoid having to rebuild every 6 mos. Are there any other Nissan or aftermarket parts available to put in to help make it stronger? How much does it usually cost for a convertion? Should I just go that route, even though my car will probably not be driveable soon?
Sure there are its called a 5spd.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Probably no help but you can try to contact Don in Texas for his opinion or check the for sale for the dude w/ the turbo 5-gen trying to guage interest in his Level 10 tranny. Or maybe call Level 10. They might be able to ship some build parts out to your mechanic. Sorry about the tranny
That's what I was thinking since I tried and researched before the first rebuild and found nothing beefier in the aftermarket stuff. Does anyone have the website for Don or Level 10?
Old 09-26-2002, 02:00 PM

That's what I was thinking since I tried and researched before the first rebuild and found nothing beefier in the aftermarket stuff. Does anyone have the website for Don or Level 10?

www.levelten.com
Old 09-26-2002, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do a 5spd conversion. Will probably cost as much or less. Plus its harder to blow a 5spd, u just burn up clutches.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:24 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by skeelo34
Plus its harder to blow a 5spd, u just burn up clutches.

Tell that to Eric...

Old 09-26-2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong

www.levelten.com
I called them and they were really no help. $3200 for the tranny plus $600 something for the torque converter. No thanks. They also told me that they machined ALL their own parts and would not give me any contact info for anyone who could sell me ANY beefier parts.

Thanks for trying to help anyway. I'm quickly running out of options.

I would really love to talk to Don in texas and see if he has or knows of anyone who could help. Can't find his phone number anywhere though.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

Tell that to Eric...

I know, he told me. The only thing is that my mechanic is really not to enthusiastic about the convertion, which means he probably wouldn't do it. I really would hate to pay him whatever he's going to charge me to re-rebuild the tranny and then go out and pay for buying another tranny and all the parts to make it work. By the time I finish that, I would of probably been better off buying the Level 10 in the first place.

I'm just so frustrated, since the car was working well until last track day. I would of thought that the tranny would of held up more than 4-5 mos.

I know that there's got to be something I can do to avoid this 6 mo. rebuild.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:54 PM

I remember seeing something on the level ten site that was a kit to beef up our tranny. It was like $800 for a rebuild kit that included new bands and clutches and hardware.

here it is:
http://www.levelten.com/store/import...000_nissan.htm
Old 09-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by 96sleeper
I remember seeing something on the level ten site that was a kit to beef up our tranny. It was like $800 for a rebuild kit that included new bands and clutches and hardware.

here it is:
Thanks for the information
Old 09-26-2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by 96sleeper

here it is:
Thanks bud. I wonder why the duffus that answered a little while ago when I called said they didn't have any "kits" for me. I called again but now theyre closed now. I'll try back tomm.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:32 PM
Sports Button FTW

hmm, sounds fishy.

Well i also have a 95 GLE and i have a auto tranny chillin in my garage with roughly 100,000 miles. If you want to buy it off of me really cheap (300 dollars or 400 shipped), its yours. It worked fine when i had it and i only took it out because i did conversion. If all else failes, come to me and i'll deliver

I'm in NJ by the way
Old 09-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

BAH!!! buy Level 10's PTS kit for $800, pull your tranny and have a shop install the PTS components for you...considering most rebuilds cost around $1200-2500(depending on work done) you'll probably come out saving some loot over having Level 10 do it for you!

I called them and they were really no help. $3200 for the tranny plus $600 something for the torque converter. No thanks. They also told me that they machined ALL their own parts and would not give me any contact info for anyone who could sell me ANY beefier parts.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:35 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i know dons site is something like moblietek.com
Old 09-26-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
hmm, sounds fishy.

Well i also have a 95 GLE and i have a auto tranny chillin in my garage with roughly 100,000 miles. If you want to buy it off of me really cheap (300 dollars or 400 shipped), its yours. It worked fine when i had it and i only took it out because i did conversion. If all else failes, come to me and i'll deliver

I'm in NJ by the way
Thanks bud, I think I'm probably going to try and buy the Level 10 "kit" (if they'll sell it to me) and probably start hunting down a 5spd and have it ready for when it blows again....do the conversion.

I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by nismo2020
i know dons site is something like moblietek.com
Yea...it's mobiltek.net. I went on there, but what I really wanted was his phone number, since sweetness is up on the rack at the shop right this minute. I emailed him, hopefully he'll answer quickly.

How's HI? We missed you the other night. Hung out with RedMax before he headed back to PA over by your old crib.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:08 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Yea...it's mobiltek.net. I went on there, but what I really wanted was his phone number, since sweetness is up on the rack at the shop right this minute. I emailed him, hopefully he'll answer quickly.

How's HI? We missed you the other night. Hung out with RedMax before he headed back to PA over by your old crib.
cool man let us know how it all works out.

im getting off on a rough start out here, but oh well.

were having our monthly meet tomorrow nite at the track. take care.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:01 PM
VQ Wizard

JAIME,

If there is any way you can deliver your car to Charlotte one weekend I can get you hooked up with any type of custom tranny build and torque converter setup you want.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:29 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Jaime, their is a difference between the 'kit' that Level 10 sells, and the tranny that they build. I forget exactly all the differences, but I think they use stronger clutches, bands, etc in the tranny builds... I found all the info on their website a long time ago... Hope this helps...
Old 09-26-2002, 06:35 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Jaime, their is a difference between the 'kit' that Level 10 sells, and the tranny that they build. I forget exactly all the differences, but I think they use stronger clutches, bands, etc in the tranny builds... I found all the info on their website a long time ago... Hope this helps...
Old 09-26-2002, 07:07 PM

You need to put an LSD in there since the tranny is out, hint hint

Old 09-26-2002, 08:46 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

nope, I've seent he kit with my own eyes...its got all the stronger bands, clutches and all these other goodies! its the same thing Level 10 usues in the rebuild, at least thats what Pat told my buddy...he bought this kit for his turbo 92 GXE and had his tranny shop install it...from the pics I've seen of the kit and compared to the OEM internals, there is a big difference!

Originally posted by mtrai760
Old 09-26-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
JAIME,

If there is any way you can deliver your car to Charlotte one weekend I can get you hooked up with any type of custom tranny build and torque converter setup you want.
Man, I wish I could, but like I said the car is up on the rack right now. My mechanic told me to do some research and he gave me until monday to decide what to do. Is there any way that I can talk to your guy and see if he has any stronger parts that I could get from him? If you can, call me on my cell..it's in the SE forum.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
nope, I've seent he kit with my own eyes...its got all the stronger bands, clutches and all these other goodies! its the same thing Level 10 usues in the rebuild, at least thats what Pat told my buddy...he bought this kit for his turbo 92 GXE and had his tranny shop install it...from the pics I've seen of the kit and compared to the OEM internals, there is a big difference!

That's exactly what I'm going to find out from Level 10 tomm. From what I saw on the link, it looks like it's a whole kit, but is it stronger? How's your buddies tranny holding up? I think that if the "guts" of the kit are the same as they put into a Level 10 tranny, then I may just get it and have him put it in.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

dunno yet, the car is not up and running yet...but the tranny is prepped and installed. as for the kit, he told me the Nissan kit came with everything read to be replaced and from the pics the parts were kevlar(I think...) or some other high endurance material. if I see him this weekend I'll try and get the pics and post them for 'ya.

That's exactly what I'm going to find out from Level 10 tomm. From what I saw on the link, it looks like it's a whole kit, but is it stronger? How's your buddies tranny holding up? I think that if the "guts" of the kit are the same as they put into a Level 10 tranny, then I may just get it and have him put it in.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
You need to put an LSD in there since the tranny is out, hint hint

I thought about that...don't know what kind of dent this is going to put on the old wallet yet though.

Don't you have a unit you wanna have "tested"? I would volunteer to be a guinea pig...

Seriously, I already thought about that, but depends on how much this ends up costing me to get back to where I need to be.

If this doesn't work any better, I'm just going to convert to 5spd. I'd hate to do that since I'm one of the few orig. autos still left trying to make it work. Maybe I should take the hint by now.

I'll let you know.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

5-sp for sale. I assume the price is in French francs http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=154520
Old 09-26-2002, 11:34 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I have a 5th gen auto tranny (fits on 4th gen) if you're interested.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I have a 5th gen auto tranny (fits on 4th gen) if you're interested.
Is it a beefed up one or oem?
Old 09-26-2002, 11:53 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Is it a beefed up one or oem?
OEM... stronger 1st and 2nd gears compared to 4th gens.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

OEM... stronger 1st and 2nd gears compared to 4th gens.
That's the thing, I don't think it's the actual bands or clutches that are tearing up. My gut tells me it's the torque converter and some other smaller metal parts internally in the tranny that are the weak links. During neither breakdown did the mechanic tell me that the bands or gears were gone. The first one, some of the clutches were worn, but that was to be expected since the tranny had over 150k then.

I appreciate the offer, but I don't think that's going to help right now. Do you know anywhere I can call/order a super duty converter?
Old 09-27-2002, 06:17 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

That's the thing, I don't think it's the actual bands or clutches that are tearing up. My gut tells me it's the torque converter and some other smaller metal parts internally in the tranny that are the weak links. During neither breakdown did the mechanic tell me that the bands or gears were gone. The first one, some of the clutches were worn, but that was to be expected since the tranny had over 150k then.

I appreciate the offer, but I don't think that's going to help right now. Do you know anywhere I can call/order a super duty converter?
Hmmm..... check out http://www.protorque.com
Old 09-27-2002, 07:39 AM
Ramius83

Originally posted by mzmtg

Tell that to Eric...
Low, very low........But funny... ....and it is spelled EriK. I guess that is why you live in AL, you can't spell.........j/k Ben.

Old 09-27-2002, 07:48 AM
Ramius83

If this doesn't work any better, I'm just going to convert to 5spd.
Ahhhhhh, yes, someone has seen the light.....

Jaime, I wish I could help you, but I know NOTHING about the automatic internals. Mine had over 154k on it before the conversion and I never tore it down while I was running the 100 shot. Sorry I can't help you. BTW, if you ever need another auto tranny, I have a junkyard in South Atlanta that has a Maxima with an automatic in it. Also, they have a 99 5-speed with the tranny still in it and all the parts, minus the clutch setup (which I bought ). M&S Autoparts on Riverdale Road. Good luck guy. Call me if you need ANYTHING.

Old 09-28-2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Ramius83

Ahhhhhh, yes, someone has seen the light.....

Jaime, I wish I could help you, but I know NOTHING about the automatic internals. Mine had over 154k on it before the conversion and I never tore it down while I was running the 100 shot. Sorry I can't help you. BTW, if you ever need another auto tranny, I have a junkyard in South Atlanta that has a Maxima with an automatic in it. Also, they have a 99 5-speed with the tranny still in it and all the parts, minus the clutch setup (which I bought ). M&S Autoparts on Riverdale Road. Good luck guy. Call me if you need ANYTHING.
My mechanic is breaking the tranny down to find out exactly what expired. If it's the torque converter(I think that's what it is, and hope that's what it is), then I'm going to probably get one from either Protorque (thanks Y2K) or Level 10.

One thing, you guys help me out here, I was looking in the link Kev provided for protorque and they also link to Level 10. Do you guys think Level 10 uses protorque converters? Cause at level 10 they sell the converter for our application at $498 and from Protorque it's $395. According to Level 10's website, they modify your existing torque converter, but the guy on the phone said I would not need to send him mine cause he would send me a "new" unit and no exchange was needed. What gives? You guys look at it and tell me what you think.

Erik, I think that if the breakdown was NOT the torque converter or a part I CAN get something stronger for; I will definetly start hunting down a 5spd right away and I will need your help on what parts I would need. My idea is to let my mechanic rebuild my auto, so I can get around, and in the mean time build a 5spd and have it ready to go, run the auto hard at the track until it blows up, and put the ready 5spd in.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:19 AM

One thing, you guys help me out here, I was looking in the link Kev provided for protorque and they also link to Level 10. Do you guys think Level 10 uses protorque converters? Cause at level 10 they sell the converter for our application at $498 and from Protorque it's $395. According to Level 10's website, they modify your existing torque converter, but the guy on the phone said I would not need to send him mine cause he would send me a "new" unit and no exchange was needed. What gives? You guys look at it and tell me what you think.

Do not order the converter from Level 10, it is the same exact thing as protorque, they just charge you more. I believe Don answered this before for someone, but they are the same.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:41 PM
VQ Wizard

My mechanic is breaking the tranny down to find out exactly what expired. If it's the torque converter(I think that's what it is, and hope that's what it is), then I'm going to probably get one from either Protorque (thanks Y2K) or Level 10.

Erik, I think that if the breakdown was NOT the torque converter or a part I CAN get something stronger for; I will definetly start hunting down a 5spd right away and I will need your help on what parts I would need. My idea is to let my mechanic rebuild my auto, so I can get around, and in the mean time build a 5spd and have it ready to go, run the auto hard at the track until it blows up, and put the ready 5spd in.
Just sent you a PM.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:14 PM

Well, like I told you at NOPI, I can cut you an insane deal on one since I would like to see it in your car. Unfortunately, can't do it for free since their cost is too high. But email me if you're still interested, I can probably not make too mcuh more of a dent in your wallet.

I thought about that...don't know what kind of dent this is going to put on the old wallet yet though.

Don't you have a unit you wanna have "tested"? I would volunteer to be a guinea pig...

Seriously, I already thought about that, but depends on how much this ends up costing me to get back to where I need to be.

If this doesn't work any better, I'm just going to convert to 5spd. I'd hate to do that since I'm one of the few orig. autos still left trying to make it work. Maybe I should take the hint by now.

I'll let you know.

Quick Reply: I need everyone's help immidietly....tranny problem.