General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

voltage dips

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 07:29 PM
MaximaFreak

Electrical Problem: voltage dips - not from stereo

For those that don't know, my poor Max was in a pretty bad accident. I just got it back and I'm amazed at how well it handles considering it took a big hit in the front driver's side of the car.

That aside, I've really only noticed one problem that seems pretty bad. I'm getting voltage dips - but not all the time. These dips affect every light in the car and are definitely more noticable at night. I have an analog voltmeter and it seems to be wavering - ever so slightly - between 14.7 and 15.0 volts. Both at the battery and back by my amps in the trunk.

Here's the wierd part. It continues through lots of RPM's and into 3rd gear I noticed, but while at cruising speed in 5th gear, it stops. Also, whenever I use an accessory like a window or the brakelights (although not my stereo or A/C oddly enough - neither has any effect on this problem whether - or +), it evens back out or it is so minor I can't tell while driving.

The car starts up just fine. I have a ~1yr old Optima battery. The car feels like it's pullin well. (Although I have been driving a VW Jetta 1.8T for 6 weeks ...) I'm not getting it. The first thing that came to mind was the alternator as this does not happen with the key in the accessory position. I'm going back to the dealer on Monday and I want to be armed with info so they don't bullsh!t me.

Sorry if this is a bunch of jumbled thoughts, I went quickly to make sure I got all of my details out.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Had the similar problem last year...

after my Unorthadox Racing Pulley install...

just a slight drop once in a while, no peformance problems at all.

I just figured it was the pulley charging the alternator at a slower rate. I'm not that concerened. I think it may be normal.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:04 PM
MaximaFreak

Re: Had the similar problem last year...

Originally posted by krbga
after my Unorthadox Racing Pulley install...

just a slight drop once in a while, no peformance problems at all.

I just figured it was the pulley charging the alternator at a slower rate. I'm not that concerened. I think it may be normal.
This is far from once in a while. It takes me 30 minutes to get home and it did it the entire way unless I was rolling down a window, steping on the brakes or cruising in 5th gear. It's a fast, repetative dip - it even afects the headlights if you pay attention to it. When I turn the car on, the lights do what your TV does when you turn it on, kinda fade in if you catch my drift.

There's definitely something wrong because my car never did that before.

Help!
Old 09-27-2002, 05:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Electrical Problem: voltage dips - not from stereo

Originally posted by Big_Ham
I have an analog voltmeter and it seems to be wavering - ever so slightly - between 14.7 and 15.0 volts.
Thats perfectly normal. Actually thats better then normal if your holding over 14 Volts all the time. You have a good alternator and regulator.

If you were sweeping from under 12 up to 15 Volts, then I'd start looking around.

Leave your charging system alone, it's working fine.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:01 AM

Re: Re: Had the similar problem last year...

Possible loose ground at the battery? or somewhere else near or on the alternator? Maybe the engine ground to the chassis? Just trying to spit out Ideas dude.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:38 AM
MaximaFreak

Re: Re: Re: Had the similar problem last year...

Originally posted by Y2KSilvahSE
Possible loose ground at the battery? or somewhere else near or on the alternator? Maybe the engine ground to the chassis? Just trying to spit out Ideas dude.
And much appreciated ideas, sounds like a possibility that I certainly hadn't considered. I'll have the dealer check all those grounds. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-27-2002, 07:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Had the similar problem last year...

And much appreciated ideas, sounds like a possibility that I certainly hadn't considered. I'll have the dealer check all those grounds. Any other suggestions?
When your Max got hit...what got hit? Which side, front rear?...describe the damage...I'll bet that the areas that had to be replaced is where the problem lies...Did the engine compartment get violated in this accident?...These are the types of ?'s you need to look at methinks.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:35 AM
MaximaFreak

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Had the similar problem last year...

Originally posted by Y2KSilvahSE

When your Max got hit...what got hit? Which side, front rear?...describe the damage...I'll bet that the areas that had to be replaced is where the problem lies...Did the engine compartment get violated in this accident?...These are the types of ?'s you need to look at methinks.
I was hit in the FR quarter panel. The frame bent inwards near the battery and it seems that the loose ground could certainly be the culprit given where I was hit.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Had the similar problem last year...

I was hit in the FR quarter panel. The frame bent inwards near the battery and it seems that the loose ground could certainly be the culprit given where I was hit.
Ouch. Yea, could be grounding for sure. Let us know what they find.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Had the similar problem last year...

I read on here just tonight that there is a ground for the headlights behind the battery. Would be worth checking out, especially since high load items (stereo, AC, etc...) aren't affected. Sounds logical to me. I'd atleast take that ground off, clean everything up with some sandpaper, and re-install tight. Wouldn't hurt in any case, and just may solve your problem. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Dave
Old 09-28-2002, 06:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like it might be a voltage regulator in the alt that might be going bad. Similar thing happened in my old Honda, but I was spiking up to 17 volts. I saw the accident pics of your car, but couldn't tell if your alternator was affected by the accident.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:59 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by kirzan
Sounds like it might be a voltage regulator in the alt that might be going bad. Similar thing happened in my old Honda, but I was spiking up to 17 volts. I saw the accident pics of your car, but couldn't tell if your alternator was affected by the accident.
I know, I couldn't tell either. In fact, I need to get my router and my switch back from RMA so I can get my webserver back up and running. In any event, I'm not so worried about the 15V part of the equation. I did the measurement with an analog voltmeter, so it could be off. However, the lights are still "pulsing" - and this is not just the headlights, but the corner lights, the dash lights, etc. My headlights get a bit brighter when I give the car some RPM's, but it was always kinda like that.

I'm not sure what to think, but I'm letting the dealer take care of it. Hell, my check engine light is on and the guy said he NEVER pulled the code! You mean you got a Maxima in with some serious front end damage, it's throwing a check engine light and you don't check for it! UGH. That being said, I know it's for the rear O2 sensor and it's not a big deal, but I want it fixed and I can't believe he said they never pulled it. I also have a couple of other things to take care of like my hood struts don't work (they replaced the hood but not the struts) so I am just bringing it in first thing Mon morning. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's much appreciated.