General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone have problems with the plastic pieces that cover underside of max?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 12:37 PM

Anyone have problems with the plastic pieces that cover underside of max?

While driving back to school, going a casual 70mph, this guy in the next lane honks and points down to the front of my car, so I'm like "great i have a flat." But i stop and look and see the whole front plastic cover that covers the under part of the engine has manage to let itself loose. It's all shredded and i definitely need a new piece(s). All the damn bolts rusted them self off. Anyone have this same problem? Anyone even know what I am talking about? Well, also, does anyone know part numbers or what i am looking at for prices before i start my search? thanks.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:44 PM
Ramius83

Re: Anyone have problems with the plastic pieces that cover underside of max?

Originally posted by Gotrice4
While driving back to school, going a casual 70mph, this guy in the next lane honks and points down to the front of my car, so I'm like "great i have a flat." But i stop and look and see the whole front plastic cover that covers the under part of the engine has manage to let itself loose. It's all shredded and i definitely need a new piece(s). All the damn bolts rusted them self off. Anyone have this same problem? Anyone even know what I am talking about? Well, also, does anyone know part numbers or what i am looking at for prices before i start my search? thanks.
I had the exact same problem. The previous owner of the car lived in Gulf Shores, where salt is present in the air. The salt had rusted the bolts and ate them away. One day I was driving and I pulled into a Wal-mart parking lot to get some supplies for school and a kid said that he liked my front air dam. Well, at the time lol, I didn't have a front spoiler. I was like WTF. I went and looked at my car and lo-behold, the front-most underbody pieces had come off and imitated a "front air dam", similar to those Buick's lol. Anyways, I just got some identical s/s bolts from Lowes/Home Depot and put some washers on them. Works fine. To actually replace the pieces shouldn't be expensive at all.....

Old 09-29-2002, 04:48 PM

i plan on changing everything i can to stainless steel(already had to dremel and replace the license plate bolts, which took 2 hours, because the screw and nut seized together). My problem is that, this occurred on the highway at 70mph for i dunno how long..so some parts are melted and a couple of parts are completely broken off....now i have to go back home soon and replace these pieces because it is unsightly right now(can you say ghetto rigged)
Old 09-29-2002, 04:59 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Anyone have problems with the plastic pieces that cover underside of max?

Originally posted by Ramius83

I had the exact same problem. The previous owner of the car lived in Gulf Shores, where salt is present in the air. The salt had rusted the bolts and ate them away. One day I was driving and I pulled into a Wal-mart parking lot to get some supplies for school and a kid said that he liked my front air dam. Well, at the time lol, I didn't have a front spoiler. I was like WTF. I went and looked at my car and lo-behold, the front-most underbody pieces had come off and imitated a "front air dam", similar to those Buick's lol. Anyways, I just got some identical s/s bolts from Lowes/Home Depot and put some washers on them. Works fine. To actually replace the pieces shouldn't be expensive at all.....

what about that time off of 285????
Old 09-29-2002, 06:06 PM

I had a problem with one of the pieces becasuse the plastic tore where the bolt went in so I just used some wire and tied it and that fixed it. The dealer calls them undercovers when I asked about them
Old 09-29-2002, 07:47 PM

mine are just tucked under cos the holes where the screws go in have cut. Ihave searched and searched and cant find any anywhere. I went to the nissan dealer here in town and he said he could get them for me for the reallyoderate price of $80 a piece
Still searching tho...best bet wuld probably be a junkyard
Old 09-29-2002, 08:48 PM
Ramius83

Re: Re: Re: Anyone have problems with the plastic pieces that cover underside of max?

Originally posted by bags533

what about that time off of 285????
Oh yeah, there was the incident too, I still have yet to replace that fender well.....Oh well....

Old 09-29-2002, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by lophix
mine are just tucked under cos the holes where the screws go in have cut. Ihave searched and searched and cant find any anywhere. I went to the nissan dealer here in town and he said he could get them for me for the reallyoderate price of $80 a piece
Still searching tho...best bet wuld probably be a junkyard

ouch...$80...maybe i'll go scournging the junkyards...
Old 09-29-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Gotrice4

ouch...$80...maybe i'll go scournging the junkyards...
if you do and you find any extras from a 3rd gen, hook a brother up will ya? On the real tho, if you know of any junkyards that have any and the price is reasonable, let me know..we dont have a single maxima in a junkyard within 5omiles of here (manhattan,KS)
Old 09-29-2002, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by lophix

if you do and you find any extras from a 3rd gen, hook a brother up will ya? On the real tho, if you know of any junkyards that have any and the price is reasonable, let me know..we dont have a single maxima in a junkyard within 5omiles of here (manhattan,KS)
gotta find a junkyard first...and i'll see what i can do...
Old 09-29-2002, 09:32 PM

Thats a pretty comom prob with all cars over time.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i wish someone would replace it with something more durable like say a skid plate for those who....scrape
Old 09-29-2002, 11:58 PM

what are the risks of not replacing it? the one of the driver's side fell off while i was on the highway. i saw it fly back in my rear view mirror
Old 09-30-2002, 05:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

one of mine hangs down a little bit, so I plan on putting a little hole in and tying it up with wire.

You definitely need these because a LOT of stuff will get into your lower engine component; oil filter area, pulleys, etc.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:13 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone have problems with the plastic pieces that cover underside of max?

Originally posted by Ramius83

Oh yeah, there was the incident too, I still have yet to replace that fender well.....Oh well....
you have enough time to convert to a 5-spd, but not enough time to do that..HMMM
Old 09-30-2002, 11:48 AM
I'm so hood

I'm surprised nobody's sparked a debate over the necessity of the guards, cause everytime I see a post on here, it's mainly people talking about how they took them off b/c they weren't necessary, etc...

One of my passenger side guards hangs down...I've tried to ghetto-rig it once or twice, but nothing worked really well. Replacing the original bolt doesnt really help on mine, it still appears bent down. I wouldn't rip it off though, esp with all the crap thats on the roads here for approximately the next 5 months (well, starting after the first notable snowfall usually in late Oct at least).

My roomies 97 240 base model doesn't even have any guards in the front, thats how it came.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:28 PM

I was searching the site for just this situation (IK the thread is really old). My undercovers are in real need to be replaced. Does anyone have an idea as to what they cost or what else I can do?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i had my car laid up for a year before i got her back on the road and i only had the drivers side hanging down. i put in angle eye projectors that requiered me to take off the bumper and none of the covers went back on right. put on the cold air intake and had to remove them completly. they just don't go back on right once you take them off. unfourtunetly, even though the air flow was good for the cai, it rained hard and alot of puddles formed. i turned my cai into a snorkel. killed my maf and i had to use dry gas for awhile. those covers are somewhat important.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:26 AM
"tse-tse fly"

same here jsut tucked it under only happend on one side though
Old 09-01-2005, 10:13 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

zip ties baby!
Old 09-01-2005, 06:43 PM

well the one under my cat fell off, and ever since i did my tranny swap i never put on bag the splash panels back under the engine
Old 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

mine have been off since i replaced my clutch. i only kept the side pieces. they may do some protecting but whatev
Old 09-01-2005, 07:52 PM

they actually do, because one day i bottomed out on a manhole, and i put a little hole in my tranny pan, which caused me to get stuck in the middle of an intersection. if the splash panel was there i wouldve been good
Old 09-01-2005, 08:34 PM

wow...someone resurrected one of my threads?

I actually remembered when this happened to me...back in college.

Still have the max (no longer in school though) and I bought new undercovers to replace the ones that were destroyed.

Guess what, the new ones that are on my max now are starting to sag or fall off...go figure
Old 09-02-2005, 04:48 AM

yeap i started hearing a scraping noise on the way to pick up a firend. i stopped and peeked under there... the plastic piece under the fog was waving in the wind. sigh... break out the zip ties
Old 09-02-2005, 05:56 AM
Play with my balls

mine is tucked above the lower bumper inner lip. no more hassle even over 100mph.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:08 AM

I had mine ghetto rigged for a while with zip ties before finally just taking them off. Haven't had any problems yet.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:42 PM

I had mine on too but im always doing something to my max so now ive just left them off. Cars havnt had any sort of undercovers or "sheilds" like these up until the past 10 years or so. I dont see these plastic things protecting you from getting a punture in your oil pan, trans pan or anything like that, but it would protect from say, debris like pebbles or other things getting wedged between a pulley and belt or something of that nature.

We dont have a ton of rain here either so sand or salt isnt an issue for me either.

Dave
Old 09-03-2005, 01:18 AM

I have heard of a case where a piece of asphalt shot up and got stuck between the ribs of one of the pulleys and chewed away at the belt, they replace the belt and it kept on breaking over and over until they finally found the asphalt pebble stuck on the pulley.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by slimer
zip ties baby!
Werd! My 93 SE 5sp with 255k has the passenger side zip tied.

My 97 and 2k Maximas with 155k each are doing strong so far. Thank goodness for Los Angeles desert dryness.

Jae