General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Okay CF hood is on...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 01:30 PM

Okay CF hood is on...

First of all the quality/finish is superb. Got a nice little metal plaque thingy on the underside that says Fiber Images and some number (serial number?).

It's also got Fiber Images in the top of the hood in the middle right down in the front of the windshield kinda.

Only problem is the fit. It lines up perfect and everything, only the latch wont let it come down flush in the front.

There's about an inch in between the hood and the grille/lights, and in return some space in between the hood and the fenders (vertically).

Is there anyway to get the latch to catch lower down? That's the only hold up here. If I can make it latch about an inch lower then I'm good to go.

I'm almost tempted to just cut off that latch (the U-shaped metal thing) on the underside of the hood. Then the hood will be able to sit flush and use just the hood pins to keep it down.

Thoughts?
Old 10-01-2002, 01:36 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You can adjust the latch some. By loosen the bolts and moving the whole assmbly down a bit.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:10 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
You can adjust the latch some. By loosen the bolts and moving the whole assmbly down a bit.
if not bust out the dremel
Old 10-01-2002, 02:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
this is what you do:

take the latch off the car, and drill out the holes a couple of sizes bigger..

then take the latch and latch it to the hood itself (may need a friend to help you push it onto the hood)..

then pull the hood down to where you want it to sit and bolt whatever bolts you can up, i have 2 holding my latch in place, but my hood fits near perfect, and i mean DAMN near perfect!!

hope that helps.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:10 PM

I had to mess with the latch behind the grille. It's held in by 3 screws making a V shape. I figured out that they are adjustable, but by maybe 1/4" at most which isnt enough.

So what I did was cut out the top portion on the two upper bolts. Not just widening the hole but totally cutting out the top part of the metal making it a U-shaped cut-out. The bottom hole didnt allow for this so I just discarded it.

Now that I had the U-shaped cut out, I pushed down the latch as far as it would go (it stops on a support bracket and cant physically go down anymore). Then I used larger diameter washers instead of the stock ones to hold in the latch now that they're u-shaped to get as much metal on metal as I could.

Now it's flawless except one side (passenger) kinda rides up a bit in the front. The hood pins will take care of that.

The sides could go down a little bit more flush with the fenders, but I'm not complaining. It's not bad at all and definitely good compared to some of the other hoods I've seen.

I dont know if I can get pics for you guys tonight. I'm in a mad rush to cram for a huge Gov't test that I have to go take in under an hour. Shoulda gone over the material earlier. Argh. lol

They'll definitely be up tomorrow. And BTW, this is on my 5spd, not the blue one in the sig.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:53 AM

Try twisting down the two black rubber stop on each corner located on your radiator support to lower the sides of your hood.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:46 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by James12345
I had to mess with the latch behind the grille. It's held in by 3 screws making a V shape. I figured out that they are adjustable, but by maybe 1/4" at most which isnt enough.

So what I did was cut out the top portion on the two upper bolts. Not just widening the hole but totally cutting out the top part of the metal making it a U-shaped cut-out. The bottom hole didnt allow for this so I just discarded it.

Now that I had the U-shaped cut out, I pushed down the latch as far as it would go (it stops on a support bracket and cant physically go down anymore). Then I used larger diameter washers instead of the stock ones to hold in the latch now that they're u-shaped to get as much metal on metal as I could.

Now it's flawless except one side (passenger) kinda rides up a bit in the front. The hood pins will take care of that.

The sides could go down a little bit more flush with the fenders, but I'm not complaining. It's not bad at all and definitely good compared to some of the other hoods I've seen.

I dont know if I can get pics for you guys tonight. I'm in a mad rush to cram for a huge Gov't test that I have to go take in under an hour. Shoulda gone over the material earlier. Argh. lol

They'll definitely be up tomorrow. And BTW, this is on my 5spd, not the blue one in the sig.
nice.. good job.. that is basically what everyone has to do to get the hoods to sit properly.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

nice.. good job.. that is basically what everyone has to do to get the hoods to sit properly.