General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Fuel Injector Cleaner, K&N Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 05:18 PM

Fuel Injector Cleaner, K&N Cleaner

What is the best fuel injector cleaner and where can I purchase it? Also what is the best way to clean a K&N cone air filter?
Old 10-01-2002, 05:46 PM
Keven97SE

Re: Fuel Injector Cleaner, K&N Cleaner

I've been using Regane (clear bottle, cleaner is transparent yellow) for quite some time now with good results. It's not terribly expensive but works as well (in my opinion) as the more expensive Techron fuel cleaner. I think Regane is like $3.xx or something like that for a bottle.

Best way to clean a K&N filter is to use the K&N filter cleaner. You need to get the K&N oil for reoiling afterwards anyway so just get the cleaner as well. Filter cleaning instructions are on the bottle.

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
What is the best fuel injector cleaner and where can I purchase it? Also what is the best way to clean a K&N cone air filter?

Old 10-01-2002, 06:18 PM

I use the STP fuel Injection Cleaner you won't be able to notice a difference maybe mentally you'll think it, also if your gonna do that you should clean the throttle body
Old 10-01-2002, 07:11 PM

What Cleaner to use for the throttle body?

What do I use to clean the throttle body? Sorry about so many questions, just want to learn as much as I can.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:15 PM

I used braker Cleaner its pretty effective
Old 10-01-2002, 07:28 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

you can also use carb cleaner or just air intake cleaner, same thing. just take a trip to a local parts store, they should have everything you need.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:52 PM
What's next!?..

I just cleaned my throttle and popped in a new K&N panel filter last weekend.

Ahhhh...Soooo Smoooth...

Autozone - throttle body cleaner spray can... $2 I think it was. Still have most of the can left.

You can find the K&N cleaning kit for about $10 online.

JP
Old 10-03-2002, 01:01 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by JPMax
I just cleaned my throttle and popped in a new K&N panel filter last weekend.

Ahhhh...Soooo Smoooth...

Autozone - throttle body cleaner spray can... $2 I think it was. Still have most of the can left.

You can find the K&N cleaning kit for about $10 online.

JP
I'm about to take a trip to Autozone... so i should just look for "throttle body cleaner spray can" ? Can you tell me what brand it is and whatever description.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:14 PM

Someone did mention other cleaners might destroy the coating inside the TB. Don't know if this is true or not, but to the same side, get the TB cleaner.

I will get the Volvoline one, because the straw is physically attached to the can (when you need to use it, you raise it up like a clock needle), unlike other cleaner which "stick" to the can. This will prevent the straw from "accidentally" eject into the TB.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:38 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by SunMax
Someone did mention other cleaners might destroy the coating inside the TB. Don't know if this is true or not, but to the same side, get the TB cleaner.

I will get the Volvoline one, because the straw is physically attached to the can (when you need to use it, you raise it up like a clock needle), unlike other cleaner which "stick" to the can. This will prevent the straw from "accidentally" eject into the TB.

I got this one... it's called CRC and it has that thin straw u connect to the end of it like a can of compressed air to clean the dust outta computer and electronic parts. It says it cleans, lubricates... it also said that it's used for throttle bodies. I got it at PepBoys for $3 bucks.

I also bought that recharger kit for $12 bucks. Across the street was Autozone and they were charging $16.. saved 4 bucks lol. anywho please lemme know if that's alright to use... last thing i need is mistakes that could cost me more $$.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:02 PM

What you get is fine, as long as be careful when you use it, make sure the nozzle doesn't fly into the TB. One way to do is attach the nozzle to the bottle, then use some tapes to hold it in place.

This is what I use. Notice the nozzle is phycially attached to the can.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:07 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by SunMax
What you get is fine, as long as be careful when you use it, make sure the nozzle doesn't fly into the TB. One way to do is attach the nozzle to the bottle, then use some tapes to hold it in place.

This is what I use. Notice the nozzle is phycially attached to the can.
Thanks for the advice, i'll just tape or glue it onto the bottle nozzle.

I don't understand, what would happen if the straw blew out? wouldn't it just hit the butterfly... how could that damage anything? sorry i'm just curious and wnana know.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nadir_s

Thanks for the advice, i'll just tape or glue it onto the bottle nozzle.

I don't understand, what would happen if the straw blew out? wouldn't it just hit the butterfly... how could that damage anything? sorry i'm just curious and wnana know.
You need to open the butterfly to clean it properly--that's why you must be cautious with the spray hose.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:12 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by kramerica72

You need to open the butterfly to clean it properly--that's why you must be cautious with the spray hose.
ah! ok ic... well when i was reading the Motervate.CA instructions i was confused when they said "with the throttle wide open..."

How are u suppose to open the butterfly?
Old 10-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ah! ok ic... well when i was reading the Motervate.CA instructions i was confused when they said "with the throttle wide open..."

If you have a 2k1 or earlier, just look where the throttle cable attaches to the butterfly linkage on the intake. You will be able to turn it by hand-
Old 10-03-2002, 07:56 PM

Do you have a tripod? I found it is a perfect tool. Just adjust it so it can press the gas pedal all the down (the other end against the driver seat), this will open the butterfly all the way up.

Old 10-04-2002, 03:56 AM
What's next!?..

actually, all you have to do is push the little lever up thats connected to the cable to the left of the throttle to open the butterfly.

Also, I used an old toothbrush and just wrapped my rag around it. Sprayed some cleaner on the rag and then cleaned beyond the butterfly that way.

That way you avoid getting too much cleaner in there.