General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

se r spec v or another max?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 10:54 AM

Trust me, i dont need to do any research at all. We are not seeing things from the same angle that is all.

The original argument was in the decision to get either a SpecV or a Max, then it went more specifically into talking about 4th gen maxes. Then Nismo said maybe he should reconsider and uses a video of a race? ( i use the term lightly) in which a modafied maxima passes a stock Se-r on the highway..

All I was saying was that, stock to stock, the 2 cars are a pretty good match. I was in no way dissing on bags car, or neal, etc.. i know what their cars run and are capable of. my best friend in Highschool had a 96 Maxima GXE Auto with place racing cai, cattman ypipe, and greddy Sp exhaust. We used to goto the track every week and race all the time..His car was consistent 15.1s in our excellent summertime weather :rolleys:. I know exactly what those cars can do when modafied okay.

And props to guys like Neal pulling excellent times in their 4th gens. They r ripping some killer 60fts. But you were right, if you look at the trap, a hwy race is going to be in favor of the 2k2 unless they get some more power goin.

The point i was making above with my statement, was that how can u use that video he posted as a good comparison lol..

Almost forgot: be sure to write back, "Dad"
Old 10-04-2002, 10:57 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Sean?!? how you been man, long time no see!!

Originally posted by dcmaxclub
I think even in a better race on the highway the max would win. A few years ago, In one of the magazines (I think motortrend), the stock 4th gen made the 140+mph shootout. The mustang GT didn't even make it due to aerodynamic limitations - although from a stand still, if all else was equal the gt should beat a maxima. At least until you get up into those triple digits. Same with the spec. In a race from a line up, the spec normally should beat an auto 4th gen, even with some bolt-ons. I've beaten a couple of 4th gen autos with ecu, ypipe, intake, plus another with dons VB tranny mod, cai,pulleys etc by a few car lengths. But on the highway I've had a modded 4th gen blow past me pretty badly (Don't know if it was stick or not). You're a much better driver than I am though, so I'd love to be proven wrong ;-)
Old 10-04-2002, 11:39 AM
Administrator

"Son"

their is a huge difference between bags' car and your friends car.. that huge difference is that Variable intake.. you friend's power is going to drop after 5500 rpms.. so at 6500 rpms.. your friend will probably see 120fwhp.. where as bags will see 175ish fwhp.. which means bags car is going to pull like no tommorow..

its called the Variable Intake and it has now ended the comparison between 95 - 99 maxima's and 2000 - 2001 maxima's.. we are now hunting 5.5 Gens

Originally posted by PlanoSER
Trust me, i dont need to do any research at all. We are not seeing things from the same angle that is all.

The original argument was in the decision to get either a SpecV or a Max, then it went more specifically into talking about 4th gen maxes. Then Nismo said maybe he should reconsider and uses a video of a race? ( i use the term lightly) in which a modafied maxima passes a stock Se-r on the highway..

All I was saying was that, stock to stock, the 2 cars are a pretty good match. I was in no way dissing on bags car, or neal, etc.. i know what their cars run and are capable of. my best friend in Highschool had a 96 Maxima GXE Auto with place racing cai, cattman ypipe, and greddy Sp exhaust. We used to goto the track every week and race all the time..His car was consistent 15.1s in our excellent summertime weather :rolleys:. I know exactly what those cars can do when modafied okay.

And props to guys like Neal pulling excellent times in their 4th gens. They r ripping some killer 60fts. But you were right, if you look at the trap, a hwy race is going to be in favor of the 2k2 unless they get some more power goin.

The point i was making above with my statement, was that how can u use that video he posted as a good comparison lol..

Almost forgot: be sure to write back, "Dad"
Old 10-04-2002, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
Sean?!? how you been man, long time no see!!

busy as hell lol
sc'ed 3rd gen? you been holding out on me man ;-)

We should see if ash is willing to have another meet at his crib like last time, that huge max race was pretty fun...
Old 10-04-2002, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
Should not compare a auto to a manual.
I disagree, you shouldn't compare the two if you're talking about the same car, but among different cars there are plenty of autos out there that would whoop manuals easily. The spec is not available with automatic tranny. With the max he has an option, and since he asked about buying a max vs a spec, to compare all choices would mean compare auto and 5spd max vs 6spd spec :-)
Old 10-04-2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

plus he now has a Variable Intake... which means he pulls all the way to redline.. which means that he is faster than most of the 5spds on this board..
Sounds like some good ****!!! :-)

How much do those cost?
Old 10-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

thats why i posted the entire thread and not just the video.

if you read into thread it explains the race a little more in depth. bags and I spoke to the owner of the sentra and he agreeded on what happened.

getting back to the original argument(i use the term lightly) i was trying to say why but a new car that is potentially slower than the one you already have?
Old 10-04-2002, 01:31 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

hell yeah I'm up for another one at Ashleys...yeah that race was off the hook, now you have SE-R a little more comp for the 4th gen boys!

hehehe....my SC setup is a secret! actually its really an airleak hey you seen my pics of Jahlil's car??

busy as hell lol
sc'ed 3rd gen? you been holding out on me man ;-)

We should see if ash is willing to have another meet at his crib like last time, that huge max race was pretty fun...
Old 10-04-2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
hell yeah I'm up for another one at Ashleys...yeah that race was off the hook, now you have SE-R a little more comp for the 4th gen boys!

hehehe....my SC setup is a secret! actually its really an airleak hey you seen my pics of Jahlil's car??

haven't seen them. Are the pics online? send me the url.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by nismo2020

getting back to the original argument(i use the term lightly) i was trying to say why but a new car that is potentially slower than the one you already have?
thats easy...1) it's a NEW car, which is usually nice to have, 2)it is potentially slower, it is also potentially faster, depending on what mods you do, 3) it's a nice buy if you don't want to spend a lot of money modding - already handles great stock, has nice wheels, and can be in the mid 14's for less than a thousand dollars.

I love maximas, but bought the spec because i didn't want the new max payments, didn't want used maxima problems, and didn't want to have to spend a ton of money modding (springs, shocks, wheels, in addition to go fast goodies).
Old 10-04-2002, 01:53 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

haven't seen them. Are the pics online? send me the url.
you're gonna flip out...full blown VGT!! I'll email the link to ya!

EDIT: I'm gonna send the link up on the mailing list!
Old 10-04-2002, 02:41 PM

what was i thinking, 4th gen maximas are so badass... They r the best car ever

happy now, pops?
Old 10-04-2002, 03:45 PM
Administrator

what was i thinking, 4th gen maximas are so badass... They r the best car ever

happy now, pops?
yes son.. now say it again and try to work "God's Chariot" in there some where
Old 10-04-2002, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Sounds like some good ****!!! :-)

How much do those cost?
Mr. Cranman is sellign the whole kit for $750 shipped i think.. otherwise the VI is $540 and you have to buy some other parts to make it work