General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dumb question about MEVI and gains......

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 04:24 PM

Dumb question about MEVI and gains......

Its clear that the MEVI adds alot more usable power. Its not making any more higher overall torque figures, but its pulling more like a honda vtec type-s style.

My question: why not team a G-force ecu for big midrange gains with a MEVI(to add a nice top end kick)? When you add the MEVI do you have to get a ME-ECU to control it?

Mike S.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Re: Dumb question about MEVI and gains......

Originally posted by Mike S.
Its clear that the MEVI adds alot more usable power. Its not making any more higher overall torque figures, but its pulling more like a honda vtec type-s style.
k

My question: why not team a G-force ecu for big midrange gains with a MEVI(to add a nice top end kick)?
why not team JWT:
1)where you can get a higher redline (7000 rpms)
2)have some how incorporate the JWT daughter board which has the ability to activate/deactivate Nitrous systems at certain rpm's do the samething for an VI.
3)putting out more hp/tq vs g force ecu

When you add the MEVI do you have to get a ME-ECU to control it?

Mike S.
no.. its activated by an rpm switch and its controlled by vacuum
Old 10-06-2002, 07:33 PM

Ok...i guess I wasn't really clear in my post, JWT, g force, whatever, I meant can you use a modded ecu with the MEVI, which I guess you can.

My other point is then, why install a switch. Would a Nissan Middle east ECU automatically switch over the runners? I assume so, I can't belive people over there push a button to do it. No but seriously, maybe someone should look into getting an ecu from over there and then having it modded by jwt or g force. Do you think the actual swapping of a middle east ecu would throw codes in our cars?

Mike S.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:39 PM

Ok...i guess I wasn't really clear in my post, JWT, g force, whatever, I meant can you use a modded ecu with the MEVI, which I guess you can.

My other point is then, why install a switch. Would a Nissan Middle east ECU automatically switch over the runners? I assume so, I can't belive people over there push a button to do it. No but seriously, maybe someone should look into getting an ecu from over there and then having it modded by jwt or g force. Do you think the actual swapping of a middle east ecu would throw codes in our cars?

Mike S.
no no, you dont push any buttons, the switch will turn on at the rpm you set it to so theres no buttons being pushed
Old 10-06-2002, 07:53 PM

aahhhh...gotcha

Ok, I get it now....see....it was a dumb question.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What's really great about the MEVI is that the power curve just stays flat, even past redline of 6500. If you look at the threads of most of the guys with VIs running at the track, they are banging their rev limiter much more often, because the VQ . . . just . . . . keeps . . . .pouring it out as you accelerate. Add a JWT ECU, and it extends your redline to 7000, as well as upping the HP/TQ curve a bit. That 500 rpm extension really helps you when you figure in the gearing, you can stay in 1st gear, developing more power for longer, than if you had jumped into 2nd at the 6500 rpm redline. Same argument goes for 2nd to 3rd etc. The JWT ECU and the MEVI go so well together like peanut butter and jelly

JWT should be really looking into this MEVI thing on their own.

One drawback, the JWT ECU is only available for 95-96 Maximas. I've heard that some have made it work on 97 Maxima, too. 98-99 Maximas are SOL for the moment when it comes to the JWT ECU.

To really appreciate the rpm extension, drive a VTEC honda, like a GSR, Prelude, S2000. They redline at 8500 to 9000 RPM. When you think you've reached the peak in a gear, you look at the tach and see that there's over 1500 rpms or so still to go It's like a never ending motor. The VIM makes the Maxima VQ motor approach that, and it does it in a high torque smooth V6

DW
Old 10-07-2002, 10:16 AM

Is there a web site that I can goto to buy a MEVI. This is a variable intake, correct??
Old 10-07-2002, 12:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Correct. Middle East Varaible Intake for any 1995-99 Maxima.

Here ya go;

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=151928

DW

Originally posted by newsone99
Is there a web site that I can goto to buy a MEVI. This is a variable intake, correct??