General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Idea for an All-wheel drive max.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 03:14 PM

Idea for an All-wheel drive max.

I was just thinking about this and I know it is something that might have been brought up. But didn't care to look because I'm lazy. Anyway...the Murano is going to be based of the same VQ35DE engine that 2k2 Maxima's have. Anyway I know the Murano is going to come in 2 styles FWD and AWD. That lead me to believer the the engine is mounted like the engine in maxima perpindicular..not parallel...I guess that is how I would say it is. So if the wheels base is the same distance or similar...You could possibly swap out the tranny for the AWD tranny and just put add the drive shaft for the back wheels...and just reroute the exhaust...and you could possibly have an AWD vehicle. I know it wouldn't be that cheap but maybe in like 2-3 years when you have totaled Muranos you could pick this up and try the swap for a little cheaper...Just a thought I wanted to share.

-John
Old 10-09-2002, 03:23 PM
Administrator

John -

stick to engines and tranny's.. you are drifting too close to Roswell NM
Old 10-09-2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
John -

stick to engines and tranny's.. you are drifting too close to Roswell NM
LOL, sorry...I get back in my corner.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:50 PM

Yep, this was posted before...

However, you put a slightly different spin on it. You probably won't be able to swap the awd drivetrain into a 2K2 Max without a lot of work. Why? The engine might be the same, but the [b]platforms/b] aren't. There might not be space for a driveshaft on the 2K2 platform. You'd have a better chance trying that with the 6th gen Max, however, since it will be on the same platform as the Murano. But who knows, the 6th gen might come with awd.

Here's a thread talking about a possible awd 6th gen:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=awd+Maxima

It's a good 'un, because I started it and I are smrt.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:52 PM

Re: Yep, this was posted before...

Originally posted by Black VQ
[B]However, you put a slightly different spin on it. You probably won't be able to swap the awd drivetrain into a 2K2 Max without a lot of work. Why? The engine might be the same, but the platforms/b] aren't. There might not be space for a driveshaft on the 2K2 platform. You'd have a better chance trying that with the 6th gen Max, however, since it will be on the same platform as the Murano. But who knows, the 6th gen might come with awd.

Here's a thread talking about a possible awd 6th gen:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=awd+Maxima

It's a good 'un, because I started it and I are smrt.
Thanks I'll definitely look that over.

-John
Old 10-09-2002, 04:57 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

you make a good point about new products though.

and while AWD may not be possible... maybe some others will be.. and who knows there might be something on there like the VI that will propel the 255 hp to 300... maybe you can get it and share with us
Old 10-09-2002, 05:16 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Idea for an All-wheel drive max.

Originally posted by Mr Cranman
I was just thinking about this and I know it is something that might have been brought up. But didn't care to look because I'm lazy. Anyway...the Murano is going to be based of the same VQ35DE engine that 2k2 Maxima's have. Anyway I know the Murano is going to come in 2 styles FWD and AWD. That lead me to believer the the engine is mounted like the engine in maxima perpindicular..not parallel...I guess that is how I would say it is. So if the wheels base is the same distance or similar...You could possibly swap out the tranny for the AWD tranny and just put add the drive shaft for the back wheels...and just reroute the exhaust...and you could possibly have an AWD vehicle. I know it wouldn't be that cheap but maybe in like 2-3 years when you have totaled Muranos you could pick this up and try the swap for a little cheaper...Just a thought I wanted to share.

-John
i think it would be easier to take a 5th gen body and dump it onto a murano paltform.

and i use the term "easy" loosely.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:33 PM

Re: Re: Idea for an All-wheel drive max.

Originally posted by nismo2020

i think it would be easier to take a 5th gen body and dump it onto a murano paltform.

and i use the term "easy" loosely.
So your saying there's a chance!!!! But, seriously I totally understand just think that we might have something. Plus if I put the shell of the 5th gen on the Murano I wouldn't want that Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) with available 7-speed manual shift mode (SE Model only). http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...me_specs.shtml

Which I thought was interesting.

-John
Old 10-09-2002, 07:37 PM
VQ Wizard

I once suggested this in another forum. It will likely be a much easier project to do on the Altima. The main problem with putting the Murano AWD on the Maxima is that the Maxima does not have an Independant rear suspension. But it is nice to know that the Murano has it's engine mounted the same way as ours (FWD style).

Then there is the problem of transmissions. The Murano will have a CVT with a 7 speed manual mode. A CVT certainly won't hold alot more torque like a manual gearbox will. And the 6 speed isn't going to bolt upto the AWD system. So it's prety much a catch 22 even if you could mount it on the car.

FWD 6 speed, mucho HP and torque and NO traction

or

AWD CVT, 7 speed manual mode, mucho traction and NO HP and Torque.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:31 AM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Yep, this was posted before...

Originally posted by Black VQ
But who knows, the 6th gen might come with awd.
The October issue of Wheels magazine (Oz's major auto read) contains an article on the future of Nissan in Australia including an interview with the Nissan Aust CEO. Wheels states that the next Maxima to be released here in late '03 will have,

"Z-ish good looks, a high grade interior, sportier rear suspension (the axe will fall on the beam axle), all-wheel drive as well as FWD, a 3.5l engine, and two-plus-two and five seat config."

Knowing Nissan alot could change in that time but it sounds promising.

The Mid 90's Bluebird SSS would be the closest match to the Max for a bodyswap but wow, good luck.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
I once suggested this in another forum. It will likely be a much easier project to do on the Altima. The main problem with putting the Murano AWD on the Maxima is that the Maxima does not have an Independant rear suspension. But it is nice to know that the Murano has it's engine mounted the same way as ours (FWD style).

Then there is the problem of transmissions. The Murano will have a CVT with a 7 speed manual mode. A CVT certainly won't hold alot more torque like a manual gearbox will. And the 6 speed isn't going to bolt upto the AWD system. So it's prety much a catch 22 even if you could mount it on the car.

FWD 6 speed, mucho HP and torque and NO traction

or

AWD CVT, 7 speed manual mode, mucho traction and NO HP and Torque.
Yeah I would guess that 7 speed is more torquey than anything but doesn't help you out at all in the high end. But possible if you crack the tranny you can put the 6 speed internal inside the Murano's tranny.