General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

@#$%! Seriously messed up my suspension... (Sprint/AGX)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 12:15 PM

@#$%! Seriously messed up my suspension... (Sprint/AGX)

Well, my front left suspension has been making this annoying noise lately. I couldn't pinpoint the noise, but I finally found out what it is. The front left KYB AGX shock is broken, or at least appears that way.

I looked under my hood and I noticed that the adjuster part of the shock is off center, whereas the other side is in the center. I dropped by my neighbors body shop today to ask him what happened? He said that the top mounting plate and shock appear broken because I have no suspension travel. He thinks it is because I hit a big bump.

I do recall hitting a pretty big bump down the shore this past weekend, but I don't remember if my suspension was making the noise before or after I hit the bump.

In any case, I now need a new front left KYB AGX shock and a new top mounting plate. I'm so mad, that I might just put the stock suspension back on and forget about it. My neighbor seems to think that if I fix it, it could just happen again a few months down the road. Maybe I should switch to H&R, Eibach, or B&G Springs or something.

I guess the roads around here aren't good enough for the Sprint/AGX suspension setup after all. To top my day off, my CEL came back on for the O2 sensor. That's another $100+.

Later,
-Nick
Old 10-15-2002, 12:24 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

sorry to hear that man

make sure that is the problem before you go and buy another strut...

Doesn't KYB say they do not reccomend putting AGXs with springs that lower the car over 1.5" and will void the warranty if it's done? I guess it's for a reason....
Old 10-15-2002, 12:35 PM

call up KYB.......tell them you had eibach springs and then have them replace your shock under warranty........btw - the warranty is only a year long.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:29 PM

I dunno I've hit a very large bump before (rounded curb at 30 mph) with my Sprint and AGX combo. I was road raging and it put a huge bubble in my tire, which I later roasted off in the pic you see in my sig. Anyhow, I got an alignment, and the side that impacted was actually better in alignment then the other side. If there was something bent- it would be impossible to align. So unless my car is special I think the springs may not be installed correctly. Did the top nut come off of the assembly?
Old 10-15-2002, 01:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

have you tried taking the assembly apart? A bump would probably not cause the strut to break...those fronts are pretty darn strong.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:16 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I got my suspension used from another org member. Eibach/Tokico. I had to get a new front right strut before isntallation because his strut was almost in two pieces.
It looked like his mounting plate was rubbing against the strut and it wore a grove almost all the way through it. A couple more months and it would have snaped in half. This may be what Happend to you.
I honestly don't think a bump(even a huge one) in the road would break your strut.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:02 PM

Well I haven't pulled the strut apart yet, but I'm just going on what my neighbor told me. I probably will go this route if I have some time next weekend, but we'll see.

The top nut didn't come off the strut assembly, but it's off center. I'll go snap a pic to show you guys what I mean.

-Nick
Old 10-15-2002, 03:31 PM

OK, Here are some pics:

Driver's Side (Bad):

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...42_93_full.jpg

Passenger's Side (Good):

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...42_95_full.jpg

Thanks to anyone that can help,
-Nick
Old 10-15-2002, 04:53 PM

It might be the rubber buscuit and metal rings holding the shaft centered. Best bet is to remove the strut and disassemble. Only 5 bolts, not including the center bolt.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:50 PM

damn, that is not good.....i agree, take the whole assembly apart.

did you install everything yourself? or a shop?
Old 10-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mitch33x
damn, that is not good.....i agree, take the whole assembly apart.

did you install everything yourself? or a shop?

Nick you need to take that suspension apart yourself. It should not take you that long, and inspect that set you have now. You can not blame the sprints for a shock problem. In my opinion the spring has nothing to do with that problem. I have cut front coils and I have hit bumps in new orleans very hard and that has never happened to me. The KYB shock is suppose to be a superior shock since cattman uses it for his coilovers. You might not need to compress the spring with a spring compressor if your worried about that, if you do you can use one side of the compressor when your putting it back together and just press on the hat and put the nut on and your done.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:04 PM

Yeah, I'm going to have to check it out. I still don't know what's broken, but something is in there.

I hope the shock is fine. I think it's just the top mounting piece that broke.

Later,
-Nick
Old 10-16-2002, 07:57 PM

BTW, I did the suspension install myself so it should be no problem to take it apart. I'd rather only do it once instead of twice, but I'm not ordering any parts until I figure out whats broken, and the only way to be able to tell is to take it apart.

Later,
-Nick
Old 10-16-2002, 08:34 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

I'm surprised at anyone running Sprints around here. NJMAXSELTD lives up in north NJ, had B&Gs before switching to H&Rs b/c the roads are just too crappy.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Ange i have sprints
Old 10-17-2002, 07:04 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by MaximaRider
Hey Ange i have sprints
*Church Lady** Well, aren't you special **Church Lady*
Old 10-17-2002, 12:11 PM

The roads around me aren't that bad at all. The bump that I think caused this was down the shore. I was down there for a wedding this past weekend. On the night of the rehearsal we went out to dinner and I was following some people and hit the bump. It was a huge bump. Maybe I should see what township that was and complain to them or something.

Later,
-Nick
Old 10-17-2002, 03:16 PM

same problem here!

Hey when you find out the problem is post it!! I seem to have the same problem!! Hopefully someone can do the work for me
Old 10-17-2002, 04:31 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Looking at that pic, all you need is the upper strut mount. Thats a common item to fail. $20 bucks at Nissan for the inner section of it and your back in business. There's nothing wrong with your strut, I can almost guarantee that!

Tom

And yes I switched back to H&R springs because B&G's don't do so well in New York City. Not enough suspension travel left after a drop of almost 2 inches.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:41 PM

Re: @#$%! Seriously messed up my suspension... (Sprint/AGX)

Originally posted by Nick97SE
Well, my front left suspension has been making this annoying noise lately. I couldn't pinpoint the noise, but I finally found out what it is. The front left KYB AGX shock is broken, or at least appears that way.

I looked under my hood and I noticed that the adjuster part of the shock is off center, whereas the other side is in the center. I dropped by my neighbors body shop today to ask him what happened? He said that the top mounting plate and shock appear broken because I have no suspension travel. He thinks it is because I hit a big bump.

I do recall hitting a pretty big bump down the shore this past weekend, but I don't remember if my suspension was making the noise before or after I hit the bump.

In any case, I now need a new front left KYB AGX shock and a new top mounting plate. I'm so mad, that I might just put the stock suspension back on and forget about it. My neighbor seems to think that if I fix it, it could just happen again a few months down the road. Maybe I should switch to H&R, Eibach, or B&G Springs or something.

I guess the roads around here aren't good enough for the Sprint/AGX suspension setup after all. To top my day off, my CEL came back on for the O2 sensor. That's another $100+.

Later,
-Nick
Same thing happened to my sister's 91 Accord. I just installed the AGX's about 8 months ago. Now just 1 month ago, she thought she hit a pretty bad pot-hole. I looked under the hood and the top piece (the adjuster screw, threads, and nut) was broken off. I thought about sending it back to KYB. I reinstalled her half-way blown stock shocks and it rides beautifully. soft front/stiff rear (the rear is set of 1...but it's still really stiff).
Old 10-17-2002, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Looking at that pic, all you need is the upper strut mount. Thats a common item to fail. $20 bucks at Nissan for the inner section of it and your back in business. There's nothing wrong with your strut, I can almost guarantee that!

Tom

And yes I switched back to H&R springs because B&G's don't do so well in New York City. Not enough suspension travel left after a drop of almost 2 inches.
Tom,

I just wanted to thank you for your comment. You seem to be very knowledgable on suspensions (as I've seen you post in a lot of threads about them). You are definately an asset to the .org, and you have a beautiful car!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the shock either, because the car still rides pretty smooth. I'm glad to hear that this piece is a common piece to fail because I thought that it would take a pretty big bump to break it.

Just one question -- I purchased the shortened bump stops from Cattman when I bought my AGX because I knew that I was lowering 2", so wouldn't that give me a little more suspension travel? I don't plan on raising my car back up because I love the way it looks, and to me the ride really isn't that bad. Now you have me wondering how much suspension travel I actually have left.

Thanks for everyones help...I'll post up once I have everything fixed.

Later,
-Nick
Old 10-18-2002, 06:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Tom,

I just wanted to thank you for your comment. You seem to be very knowledgable on suspensions (as I've seen you post in a lot of threads about them). You are definately an asset to the .org, and you have a beautiful car!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the shock either, because the car still rides pretty smooth. I'm glad to hear that this piece is a common piece to fail because I thought that it would take a pretty big bump to break it.

Just one question -- I purchased the shortened bump stops from Cattman when I bought my AGX because I knew that I was lowering 2", so wouldn't that give me a little more suspension travel? I don't plan on raising my car back up because I love the way it looks, and to me the ride really isn't that bad. Now you have me wondering how much suspension travel I actually have left.

Thanks for everyones help...I'll post up once I have everything fixed.

Later,
-Nick
Thank you for the complement Nick!

Even with the shortened bump stops you still don't have to much travel left. It's no big deal until you come across a big enough bump to cause the strut to compress enough to hit the bump stop. Thats what happened in your case. You probably hit the bump stop pretty hard which put a lot of pressure on that upper strut mount causing it to fail. It's just made out of rubber and can tare easily. Basically the bump stop did it's job, it protected your strut from damage. Unfortunately it did some damage to the upper mount, which probably was a bit weak from age anyhow.

You have to be careful with a 2" drop. You may only have about an inch or so of upwards suspension travel left.

Let us know how you make out once you get it fixed.

Tom
Old 10-18-2002, 06:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tom,

( | )

Tom's Nick97SE
bum

Old 10-19-2002, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Thank you for the complement Nick!

Even with the shortened bump stops you still don't have to much travel left. It's no big deal until you come across a big enough bump to cause the strut to compress enough to hit the bump stop. Thats what happened in your case. You probably hit the bump stop pretty hard which put a lot of pressure on that upper strut mount causing it to fail. It's just made out of rubber and can tare easily. Basically the bump stop did it's job, it protected your strut from damage. Unfortunately it did some damage to the upper mount, which probably was a bit weak from age anyhow.

You have to be careful with a 2" drop. You may only have about an inch or so of upwards suspension travel left.

Let us know how you make out once you get it fixed.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I just ordered the part, so I'll probably fix it next weekend.

Lime, I'd like to thank you for all your help too. I couldn't have done it without you.

Later,
-Nick