General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question: Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 05:32 PM

Question: Window Tint

I have a black Max and am looking to get the windows tinted. What types of tint are available. What are the differences from one place to another? I live in Chicago so I know I can't get it as dark as down south, but I just want to know what you guys recommend because I am finding such a wide variety of prices and places to go. Just want to know what to look for and what I should pay. Thanks
Old 10-16-2002, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Question: Window Tint

Get a metallized tint like Llumar Platinum. It won't fade and will look really good. As far as darkness, that is really a preference. If you don't want anyone to see in, you'll need 5%. If your looking to just really protect the interior, as I was, I'd say go with anything from 20 to 35% Make sure they do the rear window as one piece as well. The dot matrix is up to you. I got mine covered, but it hasn't stuck to all the areas between the dots, yet I think it looks better that way than without. Once again, its up to to you. Expect to pay between 200 and 300 assuming you're getting all the windows done. Make sure you get the sunrook done too. Beyond that, search, this topic has been discussed before.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:46 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Question: Window Tint

as far as percent tint, you should check local laws, too, to make sure you're not spending a bunch of money on tint you're going to

a. have to pay fines for if cops pull you over
b. have to remove it (see a.)

Some here have gotten illegal 5% and never had a problem, others have 35% when 30% is legal and have gotten tickets for it.

Originally posted by jmh8
...I live in Chicago so I know I can't get it as dark as down south, ...
Old 10-16-2002, 07:01 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Your in chicago. If you get your fronts tinted be carefull. I just got a $75 ticket for front tint last week. It is not just a fine I can pay and go about my business. I have to go to see the judge. In Illinois you can have what ever % you want just nothing on the front windows. I have only had my tint for a month, and have not decided what to do yet.
I got mine done at Ziebart. Metalized, one piece rear, life-time warrenty, 20% for $250. Although I am sure you could get it cheaper than that.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
Your in chicago. If you get your fronts tinted be carefull. I just got a $75 ticket for front tint last week. It is not just a fine I can pay and go about my business. I have to go to see the judge. In Illinois you can have what ever % you want just nothing on the front windows. I have only had my tint for a month, and have not decided what to do yet.
I got mine done at Ziebart. Metalized, one piece rear, life-time warrenty, 20% for $250. Although I am sure you could get it cheaper than that.
If you cannot have tint on your fronts, I would still get it. Put on 50% or greater. It will still provide the same UV protection and almost the same heat rejection as a 35% film. It may seem silly to put on a film that you cannot really see, but when that sun's beating down, you'll wish that you had it. Trust me >50% is MUCH cooler than nada.