General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Police,Maxima Drivers, do you know how to drive on the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 08:47 AM
Handsome

What really annoy's me

Yes the person going slow in the fast lane is as I percieve slowing down my progression through life, but that is not the only reason for my frustration. It is their general feeling of apathy when it comes to driving, and their lethargic nature of not bothering to observe their surroundings, that really gets under my skin.
When I get into a car, that car becomes an extension of me. The thrill of acceleration pumps through my blood, the open road becomes an obstacle course that I must conquer. All the while I am driving I am consciously looking in my mirrors for other drivers actions, the quickest and safest path (I am always counting cars at an intersection to try and get poll position) and of course the ultimate obstacle, police radar. I love driving, and I love my car; the exprience is almost euphoirc, and most people take it for granted. Could you imagine what early settlers would have thought about driving a current automobile compared to the speed and comfort of a horse, I feel very blessed just to be born during this time.
This is very different from the usual person who's car is cluttered with dust and various trash. They get in their car not really appreciating the engineering marvel and ride that they are about to exprience. No, they just throw their latte in the cup holder, fire up their cell phone, and just step on the gas. To them driving is just like doing the laundry or dishes, they see it as just usual and casual part of life that really needs no special attention.

I am a big fan of German auto's for two reasons, the autobahn, and the design of their vehicles. The autobahn is a long road with slight turns (they put turns in specifically so that the driver would be kept focused on driving, and to display the landscape) that has no speed limit, and people know that slower traffic yields right. The original design of their cars was with no cup holders. This is because they beleived that driving is a seperate exprience from life, and should not be integrated as a ho hum everyday routine.

Whether it be driving slow in the fast lane, talking on your cell phone and driving poorly, not signaling for a turn, or not turning your lights on because you can see the road (lights are not always so you can see, but so that others can see you) it just shows that you are an apathetic moron who is just drifting through life, not really paying attention or caring that there are other people you need to be concerned with besides yourself.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Slowpoke

Well you may think 80+ is "fast enough", but someone else may deem 70 to be "fast enough". What if you get caught behind that person going 70 in a 65 and he refuses to move because of that same attitude?

If someone is behind me and wants to go faster, I always let him go, no matter if I'm going 65, 70, 85, or 110.

People who drive too slow in the fast lane is definitely a pet peeve of mine. The reason why people are forced to weave in and out of traffic and create a dangerous situation for everyone is because of lack of proper lane discipline.

I also tend to do a lot of my highway driving in the right lane (the "slow" lane), as it tends to be the least populated. I realize that it's dangerous to pass on the right, but I am very alert when I drive and I also have the shoulder as an emergency runoff.
I never said that I won't let them pass, I'm just saying that I don't like to get flashed, just stay behind me until I can safely move to the right lane. There is nothing anyone can do to me to get me to move over faster, I will do it on my terms when I feel safe to do so. So by weaving, tailgating, flashing it is people like you who create a dangerous condition, I am just driving my car minding my own business.

No flames, just responding.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:52 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Yeesss we have a winner

Originally posted by Street Reeper

TIP - to get someone out of the passing lane, flash your brights at them, if this does not work pass them, then get in front of them. Now spray your window washer fluid to your hearts content because it is going to soak and annoy that @ss in the fast lane (you'll see him put on his winshiled wipers), if that doesn't work it's getting close to halloween, go find a pumpkin.
During the summer my GF and I took her car up to Santa Barbara for the weekend and we were hit on the 101 because the car next to us swerved to avoid being sprayed by someone in front of him
Old 10-19-2002, 10:01 PM

**** the left lane. You know what I hate? Rubber neckers. DIE YOU ****ING **** HOLE RUBBER NECKERS! You're cruising along goin' 70 mph, all the sudden traffic GRINDS to a halt. You're thinking "Man, there must be some road contruction or maybe some truck rolled." Yeah right. You finally get up there, and there is an accident/ambulance/fire off the side of the road, not blocking ANY traffic, and all the *** clowns gotta slow to 10 mph to look! If only I had a shotgun.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:31 AM

Djterpstra >>

Originally posted by djterpstra
...Someone suggested using the flash to pass method. I've tried this many times and it never works...
Agreed. I find that here in CT and in some parts of MA, that flashing highbeams only causes people to tap their brakes in defiance. For some reason, people in this country take offense to flashing.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by Albertt
Agreed. I find that here in CT and in some parts of MA, that flashing highbeams only causes people to tap their brakes in defiance. For some reason, people in this country take offense to flashing.
Flashing also requires that the driver in front of you is checking his rear view mirror. Here in MA, I'm convinced that is usually not the case.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:58 AM

Re: THIS IS GREAT READING!

Originally posted by Blaxxxima

2. Trucks that pull out to pass... on a ****!NG hill!!! or on the only stretch of open road that occurs in the past 10 KM thereby preventing all who have been waiting to pass to have to wait for the NEXT extra lane.
I just want to point out that most trucks that pass going up a hill usually pass because they just came down a hill (imagine a valley) and have gained a lot more momentum. If they don't pass, they have to brake which will cause them to lose all momentum. They are usually the heavier trucks so if they lose all their momentum in the dip, they will be so slow going up the hill that they'll cause the other trucks behind to all slow down as well. By that time, the trucks behind are in the middle of the hill and don't have the momentum to pass. It's a whole chain reaction thing.
I rarely see a truck deciding to pass another truck up a hill with no momentum. I'm sure it happens and I agree those truck drivers should wait till the next flat/downhill area. I guess I just wanted to point out that sometimes, there's a logical reason for the truck to pass up a hill and one shouldn't be too ****ed off at them. It's annoying yes, but they're drivers too. Many car drivers are oblivious to the stuff trucks have to deal with. The fact that most trucks can't see 9 feet directly in front of them or that they are slow to accelerate so when a truck in the right lane comes to an onramp with a truck merging on the highway, they have to shift lanes, or when someone is fixing a tire on the shoulder, they prefer shifting lanes as well for safety reasons. I've seen bad truck drivers but I've seen more truck drivers getting screwed over by poor drivers than the other way around. (And no, I'm not a truck driver).
Old 10-21-2002, 11:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by carnal_c30
in the Bay Area (CA) it seems like the far right lane is the fast lane.. everyone goes REALLY slow up there (65-75 in the 'fast' lane) so for some reason everyone just goes fast in the right lane

I hate the people who cruise in the fastlane and wait for someone to ride on their bumper before moving over or not moving over at all

I also hate people who tailgate ME when I'm leaving a safe distance between the car in front of me
There is truth in that sometimes im in teh slow lane cutting and weaving through the trucks but going faster than the stupid people in the fast lane....and yeap..theres alot of people who drive 70ish in the fast lane...it sucks *****..untill they see some weird looking car behind them with HID and Hi-beams on...
Old 10-21-2002, 11:41 AM

Im always passing other cars so im always in the left lane till someone is slower than me, then Ill pass them on the righ lane. But my next mod will be a speakerphone on the outside of the car and with a mic on the inside so I can tell that moron off when I pass him.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:59 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: What really annoy's me

...Whether it be driving slow in the fast lane, talking on your cell phone and driving poorly, not signaling for a turn, or not turning your lights on because you can see the road (lights are not always so you can see, but so that others can see you) it just shows that you are an apathetic moron who is just drifting through life, not really paying attention or caring that there are other people you need to be concerned with besides yourself.
As I agree to the content, whole heartedly, not everyone sees driving as a pleasure. Some see it as a way to get from point A to point B.

Not everyone cares about their cars as its just "transportation". While there is nothing wrong with this, you will see these are the individuals that tend to be oblivious of what is going on around them. I have seen people readin the paper or a book. HITF can you read and drive at the same time? SAFELY?

Another thing that spooks me more than annoys me are people that are not comfortable driving in the highway getting on the highway. If you are scared of driving, you should NOT be on the road.

To me you dont have to like driving. But do know the rules. Do show courtesy. And do pay attention to what is going on around you.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:26 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Re: Re: THIS IS GREAT READING!

Originally posted by Axel

I just want to point out that most trucks that pass going up a hill usually pass because they just came down a hill (imagine a valley) and have gained a lot more momentum. If they don't pass, they have to brake which will cause them to lose all momentum. They are usually the heavier trucks so if they lose all their momentum in the dip, they will be so slow going up the hill that they'll cause the other trucks behind to all slow down as well. By that time, the trucks behind are in the middle of the hill and don't have the momentum to pass. It's a whole chain reaction thing.
I rarely see a truck deciding to pass another truck up a hill with no momentum. I'm sure it happens and I agree those truck drivers should wait till the next flat/downhill area. I guess I just wanted to point out that sometimes, there's a logical reason for the truck to pass up a hill and one shouldn't be too ****ed off at them. It's annoying yes, but they're drivers too. Many car drivers are oblivious to the stuff trucks have to deal with. The fact that most trucks can't see 9 feet directly in front of them or that they are slow to accelerate so when a truck in the right lane comes to an onramp with a truck merging on the highway, they have to shift lanes, or when someone is fixing a tire on the shoulder, they prefer shifting lanes as well for safety reasons. I've seen bad truck drivers but I've seen more truck drivers getting screwed over by poor drivers than the other way around. (And no, I'm not a truck driver).
Axel,

I agree with you. I see 10x the idiot car drivers than I do truck drivers. It's just when it's the only opening for 2 miles, they've been blocking the lanes, and then they decide to block them some more that ****es me off. Other than that, I have lots of respect for them

I DO NOT respect people that don't pay attention while they're driving however, whether they are car or truck drivers. I like that speaker idea.

Mike
Old 10-21-2002, 05:58 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Originally posted by phenryiv1

My last gripe is unrelated: Parents who do not belt their children (in seatbelts) should lose their licenses. Or their chldren. No warnings, no fines.
I agree 100%. That is like letting your child play with a loaded gun.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:37 PM

nothing more needs to be said

Old 10-21-2002, 06:54 PM

Re: What really annoy's me

I really don't have a problem with passing in the right lane, legal or not. If someone is going less then the speed limit in the left lane, I'm in the right and gone, screw it if the cops don't like it, they should stop the slow car too if they're going to stop me. Now if I come up on a person speeding as it is, I don't be an *** about it, I give them a chance, I know I don't like people riding my *** when I'm speeding. What i really hate is the guys who are driving 67 passing a car driving 66. It takes 3 miles for them to make the pass!!!!!!! I used to know a guy who passed on the shoulder of the road, at least until he got caught lmao.

...Whether it be driving slow in the fast lane, talking on your cell phone and driving poorly, not signaling for a turn, or not turning your lights on because you can see the road...
By the way, sorry for not signaling saturday night!