General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

97 - 98 Maxima Alternator Recall - New England

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 07:12 AM

97 - 98 Maxima Alternator Recall - New England

Some of you may know that there is a recall on certain 97 - 98 Maxima alternators. We would like to replace yours if you qualify for the recall. I have set it up with Ed Lopez in our service department to handle ALL forum members with this and any other service needs you may have.

Feel free to contact at at 413-746-266 Ext 237 or 800-637-7663 Ext 237 to see if you qualify or to make an appointment for this or any other services you may need.

Please, please ask for Ed, he is a super guy and is very knowledgable with Nissan products.

If for some reason he is busy, or you would like to check you car via the web, you can send me an e-mail with your vin and contact phone numbers, and I will forward them to Ed promptly.

Happy Motoring,

Ken
Old 10-24-2002, 07:17 AM

Another mailing is going out this week, we just received 50 more alternators for this recall.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

is it a recall for car made in 97-98 or cars sold in 97-98?? i have a 99 but i know it was produced in 98 so would i qualify??
Old 10-24-2002, 10:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There are certain VIN's that fit in the recall; you'll have to call up a dealership to verity, or do a search and I think someone posted the list somewhere. I haven't even checked if I'm in it myself...lol!
Old 10-24-2002, 10:14 AM

If local send your VIN

Originally posted by Lime
There are certain VIN's that fit in the recall; you'll have to call up a dealership to verity, or do a search and I think someone posted the list somewhere. I haven't even checked if I'm in it myself...lol!
If you are close enough to Springfield MA and want to bring it to us if you qualify, feel free to "E-mail" your vin, and starting Monday I will check the VIN to see if you qualify. Because of the great number of vehicles involved please only inquire for now if you are considering bringing the car here as it takes some time to inquire these 1 by 1. The affexted vehicles are late 97 early 98's.

Thanks

Ken
Old 11-15-2002, 05:53 AM

We just got another shipment of alternators in...........
Old 11-15-2002, 07:03 AM

How far is Springfield, Mass from say Providence, RI?
I hate the dealership that is around my school.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by MaximaRider
How far is Springfield, Mass from say Providence, RI?
I hate the dealership that is around my school.
It took me 2 hours to go to URI last weekend if that helps.

Ken
Old 11-15-2002, 11:03 AM
I'm needing a caw

Whoa! A dealer OFFERING to perform recalls!?! Very nice guesture.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Let me just say that Nissan pays every month, I do not have to worry where the money is. lol
Old 11-15-2002, 11:15 AM

Ken has been very helpfull and nice in other posts where I have asked him questions or sent him e-mail as well.

SuDZ
Old 11-15-2002, 11:18 AM

Right now we are calling every customer with a 98 Maxima to insure they get the repairs done. Anyone that want to schedule, please let me know. This applies to ANY recall.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:18 PM

Ken, I brought my car in today to get the recall done. The guy also recommended I get the $99 fan belt special. My belts were changed at 78k and I'm at 101k. I declined the belts. Did I do the right thing?
Jae

edit: Just got my car back. Car feels a lil stronger for some reason...or it could be that I filled up with Mobil gas and not CostCo? I'll hafta see the mpg. Also, I just washed my car this morn and I found they left oil and grease marks on the hood and fender. They also didn't attach my (+) lead from my fogs to the battery. The clock and radio presets I don't care...but the paint and fogs bother me. Should I complain?
Old 11-15-2002, 06:59 PM

It's business. Like many other ones, they must overbook in an attempt to keep the facilities in use as close to 100% as possible. Like a hotel, they book more reservations than rooms knowing that some people will not show up etc. If your occupancy were 100% then you wouldn't advertise to get more business. If a car dealer had more than enough customers they would not prefer to take warranty work. But warranty work is much better than having empty bays. I can name a Nissan dealer who will not perform warranty work on your car unless you purchased it from them. Their prime location makes it so they cannot even take every customer who wants an appointment.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:55 AM

why should it matter if it's warranty or not? either way, they get paid the same rate, right?
Jae
Old 11-16-2002, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
why should it matter if it's warranty or not? either way, they get paid the same rate, right?
Jae
Think of it this way--you have AAA Plus which entitles you to tow your car anywhere up to 100 miles. That cost you about $65/yr. If you call AAA's bluff and make some poor tow truck take you 100 miles away, not only does he lose the opportunity to charge a couple bucks per mile which is the normal rate, he comes back 100 miles empty-handed. The reason garages are part of the AAA system is they make $$$ by towing you to their garage and performing repairs. The rate they are compensated by AAA is far below the going retail rate. It's a business, obviously if they lost money they would stop being an AAA garage. But would they prefer getting paid the full, retail rate? Of course. As would a Nissan dealership. But when you've got time slots where your bays and mechanics are idle, you'd rather have warranty work than nothing at all.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
Jae
That is correct. We treat warranty the same, because it is you the customer we want to take care of.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by JRNissanParts

That is correct. We treat warranty the same, because it is you the customer we want to take care of.
but to answer Jae's question, the dealerships do not make the same amount on Warranty work as they do for a normal repair. They only get paid half of book time by nissan for warranty work, whereas you the customer would pay full book time.

So the fact that JR is offering to make this a painless process should mean that much more to all of us. Yes they may need the work, but we would also want to make sure the repair was done right, and so far JR has been very much on point. My dealer absolutely refused to touch my alternator cause of the SC. (Not that I would let them, I would rather pay for the alternator and do it myself, but I was there to pick up a part for my mom and needed a good laugh)

-Del
Old 11-19-2002, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by delio

but to answer Jae's question, the dealerships do not make the same amount on Warranty work as they do for a normal repair. They only get paid half of book time by nissan for warranty work, whereas you the customer would pay full book time.

So the fact that JR is offering to make this a painless process should mean that much more to all of us. Yes they may need the work, but we would also want to make sure the repair was done right, and so far JR has been very much on point. My dealer absolutely refused to touch my alternator cause of the SC. (Not that I would let them, I would rather pay for the alternator and do it myself, but I was there to pick up a part for my mom and needed a good laugh)

-Del
Del, you are right on target. If anyone is close and wants to come to us for service. All i ask is that you contact Ed Lopez in service. Mention the org and you'll be pleasently surprised by his service.

Ken
Old 11-19-2002, 09:29 AM

Del, you are right on target. If anyone is close and wants to come to us for service. All i ask is that you contact Ed Lopez in service. Mention the org and you'll be pleasently surprised by his service.

Ken
Will he do MY alternator? SC and all?
Old 11-19-2002, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by delio

Will he do MY alternator? SC and all?
I don't see why not, unless it takes longer to do because of it, then there is an issue since all techs are paid flat rate for the job.

As a side note, I just got our service satisfaction survey results, and we are # 3 in our region. not too shabby.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:15 PM

I don't see why not, unless it takes longer to do because of it, then there is an issue since all techs are paid flat rate for the job.

As a side note, I just got our service satisfaction survey results, and we are # 3 in our region. not too shabby.
What's the expression, that you catch more flies with honey? It's like houses, location, location, location. Often times centrally located dealerships are really co*** because they have more business than they can handle. What would be the point in continuing to overbook? That's an opportunity for the dealership with a lesser ideal location. They work a little harder, customers are satisfied, and they drive a little further. Nothing at all wrong with it. I know I'll drive a little further to get better treatment.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would just like to say that Jerry Rome Nissan is an excellent dealership. I bought my maxima there and I've dealt with both Ken in the parts dept and Ed in service. They have done some work for me and I was treated very well. I was having some warranty things looked at a while ago and had to leave the car overnight. Ed came outside with Paul the mechanic who does all the stillen work to look at my car and they were both admiring my car telling me that it was tastefully modded and giving me suggestions on what else I could do. They looked at my car and performed flawless work. The guys are great and the service is awesome. I highly recommend Jerry Rome to anyone in New England.

Just my $.02

-Steve