General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

First time spraying...LOTS of questions [LONG]

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 01:38 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

First time spraying...LOTS of questions [LONG]

Today I finially finished my NOS install. I set my harlen window swtich to 3200-6000 RPMS and put in a 50 shot jet (.036?) and a .042 bypass jet.

Had to hunt all over town for somewhere that could refill my bottle, as a lot of people were out. Finially found someone about 15 miles away. Got out there, and after about 10 minutes of filling it, the guys comes back and says that the guage on their bottle was wrong, and they only had 2 pounds left in the place. Great!

Got home, put on the heater, un-hooked the second solenoid and took it out for a run. I couldn't get my bottle pressure over 600psi (more on this later). With that, I got about 75psi of fuel pressure, but it was all over the place. Went back and found that my WOT had worked its way loose, and was engaging and dis-engaging quickly. Tightened that, and I was all set. 75psi steady, which I realize is a bit much (should be about 65 for a 50 shot, right), but I wanted to be on the safe side.

Hooked up the second solenoid and went out again, and when I hit it, the FP jumped but I couldn't feel any difference? So, I went back and took the nossle out of the intake, put the line up on the window and held it down with a wiper. Opened the windows and tried again and heard it spraying...didn't see anything though, so I still wasn't sure.

Got out of the car and took the nossle in my hand. Manually held open the WOT switch and reved the engine by hand until the 3k RPM's were reached. This time I felt the gas coming out of the nossle. I did this again while checking for leaks near the second solenoid, but couldn't find any. Cool.

Hooked everything up and went out again, and this time I think it felt a little faster, but nothing to write home about. Got home and the car smelled different. Don't know if it was my imagination, but it didn't smell like it normally does after WOT runs. Pulled the plugs and they still looked brand new (which they are). BTW - They are one step colder gapped to .035". Also my EGT's NA are normally around 1400F on the run that I was doing...with the NOS engaged it was only about 1250F, which makes sense with the higher FP, right?

Now back to my 600psi of bottle pressure. My bottle heater blew a fuse, and I didn't have another one me, so I was stuck with what was in the bottle. It's not a warm day here (45*F) so it wasn't going to go up any.

Now, my questions:

- When I get a full bottle and the NOS pressure to 900-1000psi, how will that change my fuel pressure?
- To get less pressure, which jet should I use? Larger right?
- Should I be able to feel a 50 shot? It the reason I didn't just because of low bottle pressure?
- Bottle heater...its worked fine in testing until now. I noticed the the power to the heater from the relay looked a little loose...would that cause the blown fuse?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:50 PM

You need to get a full 10lbs of Nitrous, warm it up to 950psi (ideal) and get the fuel pressure down to the low 60s.

Your car was running WAY too rich, that's why it didn't feel any faster.

You can DEFINITELY FEEL a 50-shot...it's like a nice kick in the a$$ when it comes in.

Are you running an upgraded fuel pump and FPR?? If so..you really need to turn down your fuel pressure.

I was running high 50s fuel pressure with my 50-shot on the stock pump and the plugs were PERFECT.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:53 PM
ejj

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
You need to get a full 10lbs of Nitrous, warm it up to 950psi (ideal) and get the fuel pressure down to the low 60s.
Which I plan to do tomorrow..when this shop gets more Nitrous in.

Your car was running WAY too rich, that's why it didn't feel any faster.

You can DEFINITELY FEEL a 50-shot...it's like a nice kick in the a$$ when it comes in.
Makes sense.

Are you running an upgraded fuel pump and FPR?? If so..you really need to turn down your fuel pressure.

I was running high 50s fuel pressure with my 50-shot on the stock pump and the plugs were PERFECT.
Yeah Walbro FP and Sard FPR. NA fuel pressure is perfect, so I don't really want to fix the "on the bottle" FP that way. Any suggestion what size bypass jet I should try? I wish I could find someone local that has them.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:10 PM
Banned

As your bottle pressure increases your fuel pressure will increase as well. When I run 1100 psi my fuel pressure is at 58 or so but at 1200 psi the fuel pressure is around 62. Also the higher the bottle pressure the more "kick" you will feel as you are spraying.

Since you are running a 50 shot you dont really need to run colder plugs. I am using the stock heat range gapped at .043" and the car is running really good. I usually peaked out around 740-760 celcius at the end of 1/4 mile.

good luck
Old 10-21-2002, 02:45 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Those mechanical WOT switch is PITA. I had the same problem and I thought it was something eletrical. I thought it was my RPM switch and I tested the damn thing to death with my multi-meter. I finally got my GF in the car to floor the car and I realized that the WOT switch was out of alignment. As for fuel pressure, like everyone else stated. The fuel pressure will raise as you get more bottle pressure. That's the beauty of a dry kit. Wet kit guys don't have that luxury. Too low bottle pressure, the car would run rich and stall. Too high bottle pressure, time for an engine rebuild.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:26 AM

With the bottle not being full, you would have to super heat it to see normal pressures. You will not be able to dial in anything w/o full bottle pressure. You should let everything be until you have a full bottle and then start changing jets and such. You go up in jet size on the bypass to decrease fuel pressure. You will feel the 50 shot when it finally does come in. Keep in mind that w/o a purge in the system, the initial engagement will have a lot of air in the line until you get a solid shot of N2O up to the solenoids. It's going to take a few good runs to start really seeing what's going on. Do check your plugs for signs of detonation.

The best way to dial in your system is to make a couple of good runs keeping as much as possible constant. Make all runs at the same bottle pressure, then make changes. Changes you make should be gradual to avoid leaning too much or not enough.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tuning a nitrous system.....at first it's a PITA, but when you get it close to right you'll have a grin you won't be able to wipe off for days.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:54 PM
ejj

Okay guys, somethings still not right.

Got my bottle filled today, heater working, no problems there. Got it up to 950psi, no problems.

Unhooked the 2nd solenoid and got about 72-75psi. Still too high. Went back and took a look at my chart, and noted that this was an ideal starting point for a 70 shot (.036"?), so I threw that jet in instead of the 50 shot.

Went out and did a few runs, and didn't feel a whole lot. However, I can only do 1st and 2nd gear runs. I don't have room out here to do a full out quarter mile, which is why I'm going to the track on Sunday.

However, after 5 or 6 runs I still wasn't feeling what I expected. EGT's were just a tad under what my NA EGT's are. The car felt a tad faster, but not "oh ****" faster.

Pulled the plugs and they look good. Ceramic part is bright white, and the ground strap is a nice grey/white, no blue.

Am I just not giving the system enough time to purge? What else could be wrong?

Here's my "specs":

- .036" NOS jet
- .042" Bypass jet (~72psi)
- Cold plugs (BKR6E-11) gapped to .035"

Thoughts? Am I expecting too much? Could I have done something wrong?
Old 10-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Banned

Try changing your plugs back to normal ones.

As for expecting to much that is hard to tell. I mean to date, it has knocked off .7 seconds off my et and I trapped at 100 mph. So I would say that is a pretty good kick for a 50 shot. My fuel pressure for the 50 shot is around 58, at 1100 psi bottle pressure.

Old 10-22-2002, 04:57 PM
ejj

Originally posted by matt calder
Try changing your plugs back to normal ones.
I can't imagine that its the plugs. The car feels srong as ever NA, and that's where I think I'd feel the cold plugs the most.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ejj

I can't imagine that its the plugs. The car feels srong as ever NA, and that's where I think I'd feel the cold plugs the most.
wait you are running 1 step colder plugs N/A as well. hmm, if it works for you then go for it.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:03 PM

You keep talking about "unhooking" the solenoid. What solenoid and why? Is it just to see what kind of pressure you have? What are you reading your fuel pressure off of (what kind of gauge)? If memory serves me correct, 36/42 combo is for a 70 shot, not that it really matters, but trust me @ 70shot you would feel it. Check and make sure your connections are clean, specially grounds. Check the WOT switch with a test light (be sure and turn the system off before doing this so you don't spray into the engine while off). Where do you have the main jet located? Is the opening pointing towards or away from the TB? Honestly it sounds like you are not spraying yet, if you were you would definetly know it.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:07 PM

I just thought about something else...

Another way to test and see if you're spraying is to wait to engage the system until your car shifts gears.

Take off hard and leave foot to floor, when you shift into second (with your foot to the floor still) then hit the activation switch and see if you feel anything. If you think you feel something, stay in it and turn the activation switch back off; If you were spraying, you will feel the deceleration too.

Just a thought.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:00 AM
ejj

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
You keep talking about "unhooking" the solenoid. What solenoid and why? Is it just to see what kind of pressure you have?
The second solenoid, and yes, to make sure I'm getting the fuel pressure I want.

What are you reading your fuel pressure off of (what kind of gauge)?
AutoMeter Electric full sweep. Brand new

If memory serves me correct, 36/42 combo is for a 70 shot, not that it really matters, but trust me @ 70shot you would feel it. Check and make sure your connections are clean, specially grounds. Check the WOT switch with a test light (be sure and turn the system off before doing this so you don't spray into the engine while off).
I've done all that. As I said in the first post, I've even taken the nossle out of the intake, and held it, put it on the window, etc. Something is coming out...air or nitrous, I guess I don't know. Should I be able to "see" the nitrous?

Where do you have the main jet located? Is the opening pointing towards or away from the TB? Honestly it sounds like you are not spraying yet, if you were you would definetly know it.
Jet is about 4" from the TB, pointed towards it.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:01 AM
ejj

I just thought about something else...

Another way to test and see if you're spraying is to wait to engage the system until your car shifts gears.

Take off hard and leave foot to floor, when you shift into second (with your foot to the floor still) then hit the activation switch and see if you feel anything. If you think you feel something, stay in it and turn the activation switch back off; If you were spraying, you will feel the deceleration too.

Just a thought.
I tried that the first time...but didn't think of it last night. Good call.

Its not that easy in a 5 speed though.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:06 AM
Administrator

the way i knew i was spraying was i pulled the fan nozzle out of the intake port and had someone hit the gas past 3500 rpms and i just hit the WOT switch..
Old 10-23-2002, 06:07 AM
ejj

Originally posted by SprintMax
the way i knew i was spraying was i pulled the fan nozzle out of the intake port and had someone hit the gas past 3500 rpms and i just hit the WOT switch..
Which I did, and it sprayed.

My question is what did it spray? You can't see the nitrous, or can you? Anyway to tell its not just air?

How long does the system take to purge after not being hooked up?
Old 10-23-2002, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ejj

Which I did, and it sprayed.

My question is what did it spray? You can't see the nitrous, or can you? Anyway to tell its not just air?

How long does the system take to purge after not being hooked up?
if you get a powerful white mist coming out then its working.. its really easy to tell because the hose just goes out of control.. since i don't have a purge kit.. one quick run usuaully purges the system ..
Old 10-23-2002, 06:12 AM
ejj

if you get a powerful white mist coming out then its working.. its really easy to tell because the hose just goes out of control.. since i don't have a purge kit.. one quick run usuaully purges the system ..
When I did it, it felt like pressurized air. Clear, and not that strong. I could hold the nozzle with no problems.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ejj

When I did it, it felt like pressurized air. Clear, and not that strong. I could hold the nozzle with no problems.
ask Synki.. or anyone that was at the drag strip.. when i sprayed it.. the nozzle just went crazy.. i have got freeze burns from not holding it right the first time i did it.. and since it has no jet on the end.. it should spray pretty hard.. maybe your solenoid isn't opening up properly? i mean its opening if you are getting some spray.. but its very powerful when i do it..
Old 10-23-2002, 10:45 AM
BJJ

It is definately not spraying if you have the .036 jet in and are not feeling it, on my 5-speed if I engage the system from a roll in second the tires will spin and it is off like a rocket. Just keep spraying with the nossel out of the intake until you see a big cloud of white gas/liquid coming out, like sprint said it will be very powerful and loud.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:49 AM
ejj

Originally posted by BJJ
It is definately not spraying if you have the .036 jet in and are not feeling it, on my 5-speed if I engage the system from a roll in second the tires will spin and it is off like a rocket. Just keep spraying with the nossel out of the intake until you see a big cloud of white gas/liquid coming out, like sprint said it will be very powerful and loud.
Okay guys...help!

I did what you guys suggested again. Took the line off the nossle going into the intake. Droped the lower limit of my window switch to 1500rpms, held the WOT switch open, held the line in my hand and reved the engine.

For about the first 10 or 15 seconds all I got was air, then finially I got juice! White, pretty strong. Cool.

So, I went out for a run again, and still could barly feel it. Same as before, everything checks out. The car seemed to climb faster, but not that "push you back in your seat" feeling that I expected.

Either I'm expecting too much, or something just isn't right. I'm stumped.

I tried turning it on an off mid-run, and the change (it any) was very little.

NOS pressure was 950psi, Fuel Pressure was 75psi, EGT's where around 1200 (rich, I know) and plugs look just fine. All the same as before.

Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2002, 10:52 AM
BJJ

Originally posted by ejj

Okay guys...help!

I did what you guys suggested again. Took the line off the nossle going into the intake. Droped the lower limit of my window switch to 1500rpms, held the WOT switch open, held the line in my hand and reved the engine.

For about the first 10 or 15 seconds all I got was air, then finially I got juice! White, pretty strong. Cool.

So, I went out for a run again, and still could barly feel it. Same as before, everything checks out. The car seemed to climb faster, but not that "push you back in your seat" feeling that I expected.

Any ideas?
What is your bottle pressure on all these runs? If it is still low you are not going to be getting the full effect, get you pressure up to around 1000psi and try it.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:53 AM
ejj

Originally posted by BJJ

What is your bottle pressure on all these runs? If it is still low you are not going to be getting the full effect, get you pressure up to around 1000psi and try it.
I just edited my post. Bottle pressure was between 950 and 1000psi.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

i think as synki described it.. on a 50 shot the RPMS climb faster and its not that much of a kick..

you don't get push back in your seat till you run 80 or 100 shot..

i wouldn't know.. the first time i juiced was a 80 shot
Originally posted by ejj

Okay guys...help!

NOS pressure was 950psi, Fuel Pressure was 75psi, EGT's where around 1200 (rich, I know) and plugs look just fine. All the same as before.

Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2002, 10:56 AM

I still think you have a weak ground somewhere. Do this; Take the ground that goes to the solenoids and re-wire it. I had a problem with my system acting funny, and I replaced the ground wire with a bigger beefier ground and sanded the contact point and all the nonsense stopped.

I have a gut feeling that you are not spraying at all due to a solenoid problem. Also take off the main feed line from the bottle to the first solenoid and look down inside the end of it. Usually that's where the "filter" (all it is a little mesh screen on the end) and see if you see some kind of particles inside. If so, you have a clogged line. Also, what did you use to seal your threads? Teflon tape or paste?

You know this is going to bug me until we get you going don't you?
Old 10-23-2002, 10:56 AM
ejj

i think as synki described it.. on a 50 shot the RPMS climb faster and its not that much of a kick..

you don't get push back in your seat till you run 80 or 100 shot..

i wouldn't know.. the first time i juiced was a 80 shot
I'm on a 70 shot now.

Guess I could try a 100 shot (I have all the jets), but I'm a bit hesitant without getting a smaller shot working.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by ejj

I'm on a 70 shot now.

Guess I could try a 100 shot (I have all the jets), but I'm a bit hesitant without getting a smaller shot working.
DO NOT TRY A BIGGER SHOT YET!!!! You don't know if your system is even working properly yet. Find the problem with the smaller shot, before you try and bump it up.

I still think it's a solenoid problem.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:00 AM
ejj

I still think you have a weak ground somewhere. Do this; Take the ground that goes to the solenoids and re-wire it. I had a problem with my system acting funny, and I replaced the ground wire with a bigger beefier ground and sanded the contact point and all the nonsense stopped.

I have a gut feeling that you are not spraying at all due to a solenoid problem. Also take off the main feed line from the bottle to the first solenoid and look down inside the end of it. Usually that's where the "filter" (all it is a little mesh screen on the end) and see if you see some kind of particles inside. If so, you have a clogged line. Also, what did you use to seal your threads? Teflon tape or paste?

You know this is going to bug me until we get you going don't you?
Then why would it function just perfectly when I get out of the car, disconnect the line to the intake and do everything manually?

You think its bugging you? Imagine me!

[EDIT]
Oh, and I've tested my grounding points with a test light. All is good.
[/EDIT]
Old 10-23-2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by ejj

Then why would it function just perfectly when I get out of the car, disconnect the line to the intake and do everything manually?

You think its bugging you? Imagine me!
Can't say, but I know that mine would do fine one time and not the next until I found the ground problem on the solenoid. If the hardware is working, you must have either a clogged line somewhere or electrical issues. Try, with someone's help, doing this; Take the main feed line coming from the bottle off the solenoid, then while holding it with either gloves on or a pair of pliers turn the bottle on for a sec. If you get a big spray of white smoke that's cold as h**l, then you know that the line is not clogged. Keep testing the remaining line, the one that goes from the other solenoid to the main jet and activate your system like you have done before. You should get the same result, a big spray/mist of white stuff. Think about it, like others have said, you should get a very strong, cold, shot of white stuff. It's coming out of the bottle at 900psi+. If the spray is weak or not white, then your not getting nitrous out or the line is clogged.

Did you use teflon tape anywhere? I've known people to use that and the tape, while you're threading it on, gets loose a little and gets into the hole itself and causes a clog. That's why you should have used teflon paste instead. Not saying you did, just trying to diagnose the problem. It's got to be something logical.

Bottle sends N2O to the solenoid, system activates, solenoid opens, flows to the main jet, out comes the power. In a nutshell it's not too difficult, just tracking it down that's the PITA.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:16 AM
ejj

Can't say, but I know that mine would do fine one time and not the next until I found the ground problem on the solenoid. If the hardware is working, you must have either a clogged line somewhere or electrical issues. Try, with someone's help, doing this; Take the main feed line coming from the bottle off the solenoid, then while holding it with either gloves on or a pair of pliers turn the bottle on for a sec. If you get a big spray of white smoke that's cold as h**l, then you know that the line is not clogged. Keep testing the remaining line, the one that goes from the other solenoid to the main jet and activate your system like you have done before. You should get the same result, a big spray/mist of white stuff. Think about it, like others have said, you should get a very strong, cold, shot of white stuff. It's coming out of the bottle at 900psi+. If the spray is weak or not white, then your not getting nitrous out or the line is clogged.
I've kinda done that. I haven't tested the main feed line directly, but I tested the line out of the second solenoid to the intake, and I get powerful, white gas, and the line frosted. So, indirectly I tested all of the lines in the system (in my mind at least). I don't think that's the problem.

Did you use teflon tape anywhere? I've known people to use that and the tape, while you're threading it on, gets loose a little and gets into the hole itself and causes a clog. That's why you should have used teflon paste instead. Not saying you did, just trying to diagnose the problem. It's got to be something logical.
I didn't assemble the kit. I purchased it used from someone on here...I don't remember who, but Thomas (sx7r) mailed it to me and I paid him, although it wasn't his kit. That being said, from what I could tell paste was used, and there was no sign of tape anywhere (loose ends, etc).

Bottle sends N2O to the solenoid, system activates, solenoid opens, flows to the main jet, out comes the power. In a nutshell it's not too difficult, just tracking it down that's the PITA.
No kidding. Well, I'm going to the track one way or the other on Sunday, and we'll know for sure then...I guess.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Administrator

don't go higher if you don't have the walbaro 255 lph
Old 10-23-2002, 11:28 AM
ejj

don't go higher if you don't have the walbaro 255 lph
I do.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ejj

I do.
100 shot

btw.. i havn't asked.. whtas your fuel pressure during these runs... if it climbs above 60 PSI then you know you are spraying
Old 10-23-2002, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by ejj

I do.
That's your problem.....you're still running WAY too rich..and killing your HP....with 1200 egts on a 70 shot you are MAYBE getting 20hp out of it. When you checked your plugs there SHOULD be blue/green going about 1/4 to 1/2 way down the ground strap....that's how my 50-shot was and it ran awesome...ran 14.0@99 with almost no traction at all in first.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:53 AM
ejj

Fuel pressure on a 70 shot is about 75. All that charts that I've seen recommend about 72 psi for a 70 shot to start. I want to be on the rich side until I know things are working.

Brian...the 1200F is a little misleading...that's not a full quarter mile run...maybe all of 1st and 2nd and about 5k in 3rd. NA I usually get to about 1350 or 1400.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:55 AM
ejj

I mean...I can go a little leaner, but I'm hesitant to until I know that everythings working in the first place..which I'm not sure of just yet.

Sprite, no 100 shot until next year. I need my clutch to last the winter.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:49 PM

I found that my nitrous ran like crap with the walbro pump on anything less than a 100-shot....just FYI....I really think 75psi is too much for a 70 shot...I was running fine with a 50-shot on 55-57psi...and the "reccommended" is 62-63psi.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:13 PM
ejj

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I found that my nitrous ran like crap with the walbro pump on anything less than a 100-shot....just FYI....I really think 75psi is too much for a 70 shot...I was running fine with a 50-shot on 55-57psi...and the "reccommended" is 62-63psi.
Okay, I'll try downing the FP.

Even being rich, shouldn't I "feel" something?
Old 10-23-2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by ejj

Okay, I'll try downing the FP.

Even being rich, shouldn't I "feel" something?
you "should", but if it's really rich....you'll only get a little extra pull....not a kick in the pants.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ahhh, please figure out this problem. It is starting to make me hesitant on buying a kit.

Quick Reply: First time spraying...LOTS of questions [LONG]