General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Update on Car Problems-Need Help from Any Experts

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 12:01 PM

Alright, I posted earlier about having a weird "clanking,puttering " kinda noise when I come to stops. I recently had my Stillen B pipe, and springs and shocks installed, so I figured one of these was the culprit. IT HAS GOTTEN MUCH WORSE!! Now, when I start the car, for the first 10 minutes or so of driving, there is an AWFUL clanking noise from underneath my car, specially when I go over bumps!!

BUT, after the car warms up(about 5-10 minutes) the clanking noise goes away?? This is really bothering me, my car has never had problems like this...I guess I will take it back to the guy who installed the pipe. Any ideas on what is going on here? Why does it go away when the car warms up? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 12-24-2000, 01:58 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

The b-pipe is probably hitting something. Easy test. Grab the muffer in the rear and shake it left and right. Do you hear the clanking noise?

Originally posted by MaxRod33
Alright, I posted earlier about having a weird "clanking,puttering " kinda noise when I come to stops. I recently had my Stillen B pipe, and springs and shocks installed, so I figured one of these was the culprit. IT HAS GOTTEN MUCH WORSE!! Now, when I start the car, for the first 10 minutes or so of driving, there is an AWFUL clanking noise from underneath my car, specially when I go over bumps!!

BUT, after the car warms up(about 5-10 minutes) the clanking noise goes away?? This is really bothering me, my car has never had problems like this...I guess I will take it back to the guy who installed the pipe. Any ideas on what is going on here? Why does it go away when the car warms up? Thanks in advance for the help.