General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Accident, opinion needed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 07:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Accident, opinion needed.

Yesterday I was involved in an accident in my 2k2 6spd. I am OK, the other person involved was ok as well but since his car rolledover, they took him in just to check him out.

The accident was like this...three lane highway.

I was on the left lane, in the middle lane about 2 cars behind me is an older M3.The right lane was clear, until this guy in a 4runner comes flying at about 85-90 thru it.He flies by the M3 on the right lane and decides to merge all the way to the left and packs me into the divider.His car then rolled over and stayed on its roof as it slid onto the emergency lane.He was alright though, thank god.
Luckily the M3 stopped and told the police what happened.

Now my question...
I had damage to my right fender,bumper,hood,right HID and, my driver side front wheel stayed crooked like \ instead of being like | normally.

What could that be?

Any other advices concerning the post accident procedures would be helpful as well.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:28 AM
I need a truck

Re: Accident, opinion needed.

glad to hear that you're ok ... something broke somewhere in there that causes your wheel to stay out .. what it is i don't know, you'd have to take the wheel of if you can and take a look and see what isn't normal (if you have the car)
Old 10-27-2002, 08:10 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Yeah, glad no one was hurt. I'd get estimates ASAP and submit them. A reputable repair place should be able to discover any/all damaged parts. I hope the SUV guy has insurance...makes things a lot easier for you.

WTF is it with SUV's? Especially in the winter..seems they think they're invincible. (well, a lot of them, anyway)
Old 10-27-2002, 08:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Accident, opinion needed.

Originally posted by GuZo
I am OK, the other person involved was ok as well but since his car rolledover, they took him in just to check him out.

Now my question...
I had damage to my right fender,bumper,hood,right HID and, my driver side front wheel stayed crooked like \ instead of being like | normally.

What could that be?

Any other advices concerning the post accident procedures would be helpful as well.
From the sounds of it, it sounds like you might have some suspension damage as well as some frame damage. You can probably get under the car (if you sill have it with you) and see if the frame, which should be straight, has a crinkle or bend in it.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:45 AM

I don't have the car, they towed it, but if there is frame damage, what happens??
Old 10-27-2002, 08:56 AM

I don't have the car, they towed it, but if there is frame damage, what happens??
It becomes much more costly to repair and the structual rigidity of the car will naturally not be the same as new (but very close, nothing to really worry about).
-Cyrus
Old 10-27-2002, 09:20 AM

hopefully the damage is bad enuff that the insurance will decide to give you a new car instead of fixxing up yours...........that truely sucks, thank god you and the other people involved werent hurt. usually cars with bad frame damage get salvage titles : (.........but then again, your car is nearly brand new, so they will probably fix it
Old 10-27-2002, 09:21 AM

Too bad man, sux for you. What they said, take it to a reputible shop, get some estimates. Does the owner of the 4runner have insurance? If not, be ready to go through hell! Good luck man, glad you're ok.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:34 AM

Hope that the police gave the SUV clown a ticket: speeding, passing on right, reckless driving/endangerment and all that crap. I am glad that you are OK and have no pity for stupid drivers who usually get what they deserve. Call a lawyer. I bet that your neck is beginning to hurt

You probably bent your tranverse link. I have bent at least 2 lower control arms in the past. Both were in the Maxima. Think of these parts(link/bar/strut/bj/tierod) as fuses for the frame. Any busy/reputable shop should be able to fix your car. Make that the shop is recommended by your and the other party's insurance companies. This way the bodyshop & insurance are liable for the repairs. I had one car fixed twice(two different shops) because of insurance incompetence(insurance estimator worked with bodyshop for kickbacks).
Make sure that you take it for a ride, prior to signing, after being fixed.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:45 AM

After a collision like that, your max will never be the same. If I were you, I'd get the damage fixed and then trade the car in for something else. Although, you may think the damage was repaired correctly (if you are lucky), a few years down the line, you may develop rattles, suspension problems, and notice things that weren't repaired back to stock like they should have...
Old 10-27-2002, 09:46 AM

since u had a witness it should be good.. and since the guy in the truck had insurance his insurance will probably pay 90% of the damages.. both vehicles were moving.. but don't take less than 90-95% in damages.. good luck
Old 10-27-2002, 03:32 PM

Thanks alot for all the advice from all of you.

The car is on a lease, so I don't care if it becomes a salvage title or not since I haven't intended on keeping it since day 1.

As long as the MAX comes out driveable and looking good, I won't care much.

The bodyshop I will be taking the car is a DRP or something like that, they work with my insurance company directly.We have used them before for my mom's Altima and they did a good job along with a little conversion. I'm gonna throw in some HID's in my foglights as well, at least I get something positive out of this whole thing.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:04 PM

Done, thanks for the advice, edit yours as well since you pasted my statement.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:38 PM

ok now I have a bodyshop dilemna.
Should I take my car to Nissan or should I take it to a known body shop around my area who also happens to work directly with my insurance?

If I take it to Nissan, they will just fix my car, which is good. But at the other bodyshop I can always get some changes, like 03 rims and HID's in my foglights along with a 03 rearview mirror.

Opinion needed.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

The repair can be done to oem specs or better. But you MUST take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Try a shop that specializes in Porsche/Mercedes/Lexus/BMW etc....Those cars owners are picky about their cars and the work is usually done to a higher quality because of that.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:53 PM

Cool, the local shop is very known and has been featured in "Fast Fords" for their mustang creations.

I've seen a couple of Ferrari's there, Porche's alot of BMW and antique cars as well, I think it'll be cool and I get some new goodies on my car too.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:12 PM
It's chrome alright...

done. Good luck.

Done, thanks for the advice, edit yours as well since you pasted my statement.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:22 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

I am still fighting with my body shop about the so called repairs that they did to my car. search for the threads, they explain them all. Go to a very reputable place. Take it someplace that does restorations and/or works on more expensive/exotic cars. The damages done to my car were fixable to factory fit and finish, but I just dropped off my car back to them for the 3rd time! Because of them my car is now ruined for life. I will always have problems with my car now because I took it to a bad body shop. If they are unable to show you restoration or before & after pictures then don't go. They need to be proud of their work, shows that they take pride in what they are doing.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:32 PM

OK, I picked up the police report, it states that the other guy in the truck got a careless driving ticket and a ticket for having no insurance identification.It talks about the witness also and the witnesses phone number is on there also.

I'm sure he will be on my side and everything.The shop told me in a case like this they will go with basically what the witness says.Funny fact is that it turns out the witness is Portuguese as well.Should I call the witness just to check his opinion and everything?

The guy that hit me has an International License which probably adds to the assumption that he has no insurance.

I have coverage agains't Uninsured drivers thankfully.

The car is at the shop and will be ready in about a month.

Wish Me Luck!
Old 10-29-2002, 08:37 PM

Anyone experienced in this type of situations?
Old 10-29-2002, 09:08 PM

I think you are worrying too much. Every insurance policy sold in the United States has a mandatory protection against uninsured motorists.

From what you described (and the month long stay at the bodyshop) it seems that your car has sustained some damage, but it doesnt mean it wont be driveable after the repair. I would recommend going to a Nissan bodyshop rather then some custom shop, and make sure they use only Nissan parts, since your car is practically new. To save yourself a few dollars on mods, you could try to shop around for Nissan parts yourself, and have the bodyshop install them for you..If it turns out that that guy driving SUV has insurance and it is paying for it, make sure to claim "loss of value" benefit from his company.

Just make sure you test drive it and make sure it feels right before you sign any paperwork. Keep us posted.