General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Which wax/polish/clay to get????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 12:24 PM
Lightly modded

Which wax/polish/clay to get????

Ok, here's my situation. I've gone through a bunch of pages on this site about wax products and stuff, but the more I read, the more confused I get about what to buy. I went through the 15 page thread about "cleaning the max", but that was confusing too. I currently have Ibiz wax, and I love the stuff (so does Russ).....anyways, the bottle cost me $30, so I'm not about to waste it.
I want the keep the Ibiz in my routine, so I need to figure out what products to buy that won't have the same cleaning properties. This is what I think I'm going to buy....

Meguiars Gold class shampoo
Clay Magic clay bar
3M swirl mark remover
Zaino Z-2
Then use my Ibiz wax
Zaino Z-6

Does this make sense? Or do the 3M SMR and Z-2 do the same thing? Or do the SMR and Z-5 (not mentioned) do the same thing?

I've also heard good things about Klasse All in One and Sealant Glaze. If I were to buy those two products, which of the above products would they replace?

Also, if I were to use Zaino wax, which one would I use to replace the Ibiz?

And I read a review on here about 3 clay bars, but it didnt include the Zaino clay bar. If anybody can tell me how it compares to Clay Magic, I would appreciate it. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:11 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

to help you try this forum http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php
Old 10-29-2002, 02:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i use mother's clay and wax products..
Old 10-29-2002, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 99maxi
i use mother's clay and wax products..
Me too. They work well, and they're not too expensive.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:47 PM
OG and counting...

Re: Which wax/polish/clay to get????

Originally posted by 95maxrider
Ok, here's my situation. I've gone through a bunch of pages on this site about wax products and stuff, but the more I read, the more confused I get about what to buy. I went through the 15 page thread about "cleaning the max", but that was confusing too. I currently have Ibiz wax, and I love the stuff (so does Russ).....anyways, the bottle cost me $30, so I'm not about to waste it.
I want the keep the Ibiz in my routine, so I need to figure out what products to buy that won't have the same cleaning properties. This is what I think I'm going to buy....

Meguiars Gold class shampoo
Clay Magic clay bar
3M swirl mark remover
Zaino Z-2
Then use my Ibiz wax
Zaino Z-6

Does this make sense? Or do the 3M SMR and Z-2 do the same thing? Or do the SMR and Z-5 (not mentioned) do the same thing?

I've also heard good things about Klasse All in One and Sealant Glaze. If I were to buy those two products, which of the above products would they replace?

Also, if I were to use Zaino wax, which one would I use to replace the Ibiz?

And I read a review on here about 3 clay bars, but it didnt include the Zaino clay bar. If anybody can tell me how it compares to Clay Magic, I would appreciate it. Thanks a lot.
Z5 = 3M SMR
Z2 = Klasse All In One
Z6 = Klasse Sealant Glaze

If you were to use Zaino (or Klasse), you could use your Ibiz to top the Zaino (or the Klasse).

Since you are doing a shopping list, allow me to suggest a few things:

Meguiars Gold class shampoo (128 oz @ Target for $9.99)
Clay Magic clay bar (Can get this at AutoZone for $9.99)
3M swirl mark remover (Pep Boys Carries this. There are 2 formulations (Dark and Light Colored Cars))
Zaino Z-2 (Klasse All In One. An alternate is Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or S100's Polish)
Zaino Z-6 (Klasse Sealant Glaze. You have to wait 24 hrs between applications)
Ibiz Wax (You can use this to top the final coat of Sealant Glaze, but other waxes you might want to look at are P21S, Pinnacle Paste Glaz, Pinnacle Souveran, and/or S100)
Add some good microfiber towels to the mix for wax and polish removal as well as glass cleaning. You can find some good deals on those at www.neatitems.com or www.pakshak.com.

If you want to get an idea of what to get, check out the 5th page of my Cardomain Site.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:55 PM

Mothers or Meguires are both very good
Old 10-29-2002, 05:40 PM
Lightly modded

Re: Re: Which wax/polish/clay to get????

Originally posted by PrinzII

Z5 = 3M SMR
Z2 = Klasse All In One
Z6 = Klasse Sealant Glaze

If you were to use Zaino (or Klasse), you could use your Ibiz to top the Zaino (or the Klasse).

Since you are doing a shopping list, allow me to suggest a few things:

Meguiars Gold class shampoo (128 oz @ Target for $9.99)
Clay Magic clay bar (Can get this at AutoZone for $9.99)
3M swirl mark remover (Pep Boys Carries this. There are 2 formulations (Dark and Light Colored Cars))
Zaino Z-2 (Klasse All In One. An alternate is Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or S100's Polish)
Zaino Z-6 (Klasse Sealant Glaze. You have to wait 24 hrs between applications)
Ibiz Wax (You can use this to top the final coat of Sealant Glaze, but other waxes you might want to look at are P21S, Pinnacle Paste Glaz, Pinnacle Souveran, and/or S100)
Add some good microfiber towels to the mix for wax and polish removal as well as glass cleaning. You can find some good deals on those at www.neatitems.com or www.pakshak.com.

If you want to get an idea of what to get, check out the 5th page of my Cardomain Site.
thanks dude. thats the kind of response i was hoping for. you might wanna add this to the "car cleaning" page.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

In Depth wax/polish test

Like everyone who owns a Max, I wanted the best shine possible.
I researched all over the web and came across this site which,to me, had the best test and information available. My take away is you can get 95% of the shine for 50% of the cost. Here's the wax/polish test
link:

http://www.deckowski.com/wax%20off/greatwaxoffintro.htm
Old 12-08-2002, 10:14 AM

Re: In Depth wax/polish test

never have i seen anything outperform zaino!
Old 12-08-2002, 10:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Agreed, as far as Initial shine Zaino is King !
If I can get 95-98% of the reflectivty with only 30% of the labor and NOT set up an electrostatic surface that ATTRACTS dust and grime I'm for the Klasse. Which if you can find in the smaller size (10oz ?)is a lot less initial cost (app. 25$). I guess any part of waxing/polish a car is still subjective !
Old 12-08-2002, 10:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

meg's clay tends to chalk a little...leaving white marks.
mother's yellow clay is cleaner.