General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

sometimes euro = c***

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:15 AM

sometimes euro = c***

I've always been a naysayer to the rear fog lamps. They are very annoying and imho pretentious, especially when people have them on and there is no foul weather.

Yesterday I was behind a Jaguar coupe on the blue route, and this mo** had 2 of them--and they were way too bright. It looked like he had brake lamps on esp. because they were lit right/left. Most of the ones I've seen are only on the left.

Then, when he braked, I was like WTF where are his brake lamps? I could only see his high-mount lamp telling me he was applying his brakes. As I looked closer, a lamp only went on on his right side--either his left was burned out or they designed it so only a right brake lamp would go on while those annoying rear fogs were on.

DOT needs to ban these things. We're not on the autobahn, at least not in PA where registration, insurance, headlights, driving friendly, passing on the left, and using turn signals are optional. No joke, those things were so annoying I did my best to pass him, and that's not easy during rush hour.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:08 AM
i SeE what you did therE

damn those euro's

hehe

feel better after venting...???
Old 10-30-2002, 05:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I agree with that. I see no reason for them to be on the rear of any car. Your only looking in front of you when you drive. It's more of an annoyance to the driver behind them.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:25 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

It ****es me off that the US doesn't have rear foglights. I mean, we have fog, don't we? (otherwise why do we have *front* fogs?)

I agree though, that one of the most annoying thing that a driver can do is forget to turn the foglights off. However that's no reason to call for them to be banned. ****, more than 75% of drivers in the US that I have seen don't use their turn signals correctly - should we ban turn signals?

I'm acutally going to INSTALL rear fogs on my car. I live by a large lake and we get a lot of very thick fog on these country lanes. I purchased a rear foglight switch from a Nissan A32 QX last time I was in the UK (identical to the US Gen4 Max) and I'll wire up the brake lights on the trunk lid to light up with either the foglight switch OR the brakes.

However, I spent 5 year driving in the UK, so I know how to use (and when to not use) my foglights...
Old 10-30-2002, 05:25 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

One more reason they are called fog lamps. For use when it's foggy.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:45 AM

The reason that US drivers of imported euro-spec cars leave the foglights on is that the US doesn't mandate them, so only a limited number of people know what they are. "Cool - when I press this button I get an orange dashboard light!" instead of "Visibility is greater than 200ft, time to turn off the fogs.

For the same reason, states that allow undertaking (passing on the right on the freeway) train drivers to have NO lane discipline AT ALL. If they mandated no undertaking and enforced 'Slow Vehicles Keep Right' then lane discipline would be much better and travelling on freeways would be much more efficient. You can travel more efficiently on a disciplined 3-lane freeway than a US-style 4 or 5-lane.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:22 AM

People in European cars use the rear foglights out of error. To put on the Front Fogs on a Benz you have to pull the switch out once. If you pull it TOO hard the rear fogs come on. Bimmers dont have rear fog lights in the US, but Audis do.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:43 AM
I'm so hood

If they mandated no undertaking and enforced 'Slow Vehicles Keep Right' then lane discipline would be much better and travelling on freeways would be much more efficient. You can travel more efficiently on a disciplined 3-lane freeway than a US-style 4 or 5-lane.
Ahh, in a perfect world...

enforcing is the problem. Our cops here in the US are too busy defending the country from that darned "terrorism" guy.

Front fogs turned on w/o fog present = fine with me (certain HIDs are about the only thing I find annoying). Rear fogs = turn 'em off.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I saw an Audi A6 with a single red light on that was near his plate; is that the rear fog lights?
Old 10-31-2002, 10:55 AM

I havent really noticed any "rear fog lights" Are many cars now starting to use them?

SuDZ
Old 10-31-2002, 12:18 PM

Dunno about the US, but they are required in Europe/UK and have been for as lkong as I can remember. Even people who import American cars into the UK must find a way of mounting a single or dual bright red rear foglight, with orange dash light to warn when it's turned on.

People are much better about turning them off in countries that actually use them. I betcha 90% of US driver's of rear foglight-equipped vehicles have no clue what they are for.

Yup, the single bright red light on the Audi was a foglight.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma

Ahh, in a perfect world...

enforcing is the problem. Our cops here in the US are too busy defending the country from that darned "terrorism" guy.

Front fogs turned on w/o fog present = fine with me (certain HIDs are about the only thing I find annoying). Rear fogs = turn 'em off.
In a way I kinda agree, because for the most part front fogs are just ornamentation, they don't do much. Just think, Poncho Sunfires, Grand Ams, Prixs, haven't they had them since the late 80's? Nothing more than show like most cars including Maximas. I've tried driving with them on/off in foul weather and I see very little difference. but rear fogs are truly annoying. Yes, they are gonna keep people from following too closely, but that's not a sensible way of accomplishing that because the glare is very bad.

interesting how BMW kept them off of the US cars. That co. always seems to do things that make sense.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:13 PM

umm what are rear fog lights?
Old 10-31-2002, 03:13 PM
living out of a maxima...

what exactly are rear fog lights? I'm assuming they're fog lights at the rear of the car pointing backwards, but what exactly is the point of them, aside from driving in reverse in the fog
Old 10-31-2002, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JeffesonM
what exactly are rear fog lights? I'm assuming they're fog lights at the rear of the car pointing backwards, but what exactly is the point of them, aside from driving in reverse in the fog
Their basicly like a brake light thats on all the time. Usually the rear righthand side of the car has it and it's so you can see the car in front of you when their's a lot of fog.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:57 PM
Custom User Title...

can someone post some pics? i don't know if i've seen them...
Old 11-01-2002, 06:44 AM
living out of a maxima...

so when i see an audi or something with one brake light and then one real bright brake light it's probably a rearr fog light?
Old 11-01-2002, 07:46 AM
I'm so hood

Audi's have them. Here's another example:

I don't think I've EVER seen them OFF on an aurora.