General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Warpspeed subframe connector (sfc) stage 1 review

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 06:50 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Warpspeed subframe connector (sfc) stage 1 review

I finally had my WSP subframe connectors installed. I took it to a domestic performance shop who has done many domestic SFC installations. I bought both stage 1 and 2 at the same time because of the better price, but I was only able to install stage 1.

The tech noted how "stout" the connectors look and felt in his hands He was impressed given how many different types of Mustang SFCs he's seen and installed in the past.

He test-fitted both connectors against the underbody. The rear tube-end of driver side fitted flush (entire circumference of the tube opening) , but on the passenger side the rear tube-end only made partial contact with the unibody

The connectors were carefully prepped and welded onto the undercarriage. When he began test-fitment of the stage two peices, the center crossmember would not clear the exhaust pipe! To make the crossmember ends meet the center mounting pads, the crossmember had to push the entire exhaust system 1/4 of an inch!!!

Driving impressions: When I left the shop I immediately felt the difference the SFCs made to my car. Just pulling out of a parking space I can feel the difference. I intentially made a premature right-hand turn leaving a driveway (so I can flex the car) and I can FEEL the rigidity. Before the install the car felt plenty stiff to me. I know its no S500, but it wasn't like a wet-noodle like those old dodge colts my friend used to drive . I never complained about it like some people on this board, but these SFCs made a noticeable difference. I noticed that I hear road imperfections more so than feel them. I guess my hearing senses are more acute now that I don't feel the vibrations. Body doesn't shake that much if at all on potholes. On sweeping freeway transitions I can go a LOT fast with a LOT more confidence. Despite the increased chassis stiffness, the ride quality seems to be unchanged.

I don't think I will try to have the stage 2s replace. I was thinking about having a local shop fabricate some bars to weld on laterally but after driving around I'm pretty satisfied with Stage 1.

If you don't have SFCs yet order it NOW, especially if you haven't decided on them. By the time you come around to wanting these things WSP will finally have them ready for you. Remember, 2 days = 2 months to them.

Next step would be to sound-deaden the floorboards. And scrap the useless $75 rods taking up space in my garage.
Old 10-30-2002, 06:57 PM
Sin

Re: Warpspeed subframe connector (sfc) stage 1 review

Originally posted by Smooth Operator
I finally had my WSP subframe connectors installed. I took it to a domestic performance shop who has done many domestic SFC installations. I bought both stage 1 and 2 at the same time because of the better price, but I was only able to install stage 1.

The tech noted how "stout" the connectors look and felt in his hands He was impressed given how many different types of Mustang SFCs he's seen and installed in the past.

He test-fitted both connectors against the underbody. The rear tube-end of driver side fitted flush (entire circumference of the tube opening) , but on the passenger side the rear tube-end only made partial contact with the unibody

The connectors were carefully prepped and welded onto the undercarriage. When he began test-fitment of the stage two peices, the center crossmember would not clear the exhaust pipe! To make the crossmember ends meet the center mounting pads, the crossmember had to push the entire exhaust system 1/4 of an inch!!!

Driving impressions: When I left the shop I immediately felt the difference the SFCs made to my car. Just pulling out of a parking space I can feel the difference. I intentially made a premature right-hand turn leaving a driveway (so I can flex the car) and I can FEEL the rigidity. Before the install the car felt plenty stiff to me. I know its no S500, but it wasn't like a wet-noodle like those old dodge colts my friend used to drive . I never complained about it like some people on this board, but these SFCs made a noticeable difference. I noticed that I hear road imperfections more so than feel them. I guess my hearing senses are more acute now that I don't feel the vibrations. Body doesn't shake that much if at all on potholes. On sweeping freeway transitions I can go a LOT fast with a LOT more confidence. Despite the increased chassis stiffness, the ride quality seems to be unchanged.

I don't think I will try to have the stage 2s replace. I was thinking about having a local shop fabricate some bars to weld on laterally but after driving around I'm pretty satisfied with Stage 1.

If you don't have SFCs yet order it NOW, especially if you haven't decided on them. By the time you come around to wanting these things WSP will finally have them ready for you. Remember, 2 days = 2 months to them.

Next step would be to sound-deaden the floorboards. And scrap the useless $75 rods taking up space in my garage.
Awesome. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the shop charge to do the welding?

BTW, I love your animated sig.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:49 PM

Re: Re: Warpspeed subframe connector (sfc) stage 1 review

Originally posted by Sin

Awesome. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the shop charge to do the welding?

BTW, I love your animated sig.
I posted my experience with the local shop and how much the shop charged me in here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=162807

Yeah those 2 jokers are funny. I'm still trying to figure out they "film" the guy in the tank top fall straight down head-first.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:54 PM
Sin

Re: Re: Re: Warpspeed subframe connector (sfc) stage 1 review

I posted my experience with the local shop and how much the shop charged me in here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=162807

Yeah those 2 jokers are funny. I'm still trying to figure out they "film" the guy in the tank top fall straight down head-first.
OH! I thought you made it. It's hilarious. I was thinking the same thing. How the heck did they get that to happen. The only thing I can think of is, they rotated him digitally. Since it's such a slow frame rate, it probably didn't take very long at all to do.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They sound good but due to the fact they add weight I will never get them. I am more intersted in weight reductions

My question here is.. why dont car manufactures install something simaler to this straight out of the factory? There must be a catch here other wise lots of cars would come standerd with them
Old 10-30-2002, 08:26 PM

sfc's

I read somewhere that these lower your car about half an inch. Is that true?
Old 10-30-2002, 08:27 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Do you have the OEM exhaust or aftermarket? I'm surprised the stage 2 didn't fit.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:23 PM

Re: sfc's

Originally posted by CBass69187
I read somewhere that these lower your car about half an inch. Is that true?
I have not actually installed my kit yet, but to my understanding, the bars do not lower you car at all (except for the minute added weight attributing to pulling the car down). However, the bars are welded to the bottom of the car therefore makes the welded SFC's the new lowest point of the car (with the exception of perhaps the Stillen body kit if you have one). It's really nothing to worry about, if you scrape, you scrape. I don't think there'll be any structural damage or break in the welding.

Emax95: If the benefits of the SFC's are as good as the testimonies, I'd rather install the kit and just try to reduce some of the weight with a diet. But yeah, I also do what I can to reduce weight...UDP, 17" Integrals, Brembo Gran Turismo Brake kit, and flywheel on the way.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by emax95
They sound good but due to the fact they add weight I will never get them. I am more intersted in weight reductions

My question here is.. why dont car manufactures install something simaler to this straight out of the factory? There must be a catch here other wise lots of cars would come standerd with them
They only weigh about 25lbs. In a sedan with such high torque, 25lbs is nothing. I've made runs at the track with my spare and tools (~50lbs total) and there was no discernable difference in ET or MPH. The additonal chassis stiffness and increased handling FAR outweighs the minor weight increase.

Dave
Old 10-30-2002, 09:25 PM

these sound so good but how come nobody has them??
Old 10-30-2002, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

They only weigh about 25lbs. In a sedan with such high torque, 25lbs is nothing. I've made runs at the track with my spare and tools (~50lbs total) and there was no discernable difference in ET or MPH. The additonal chassis stiffness and increased handling FAR outweighs the minor weight increase.

Dave
25 lb's is still 25 lb's.. Every little thing counts when it comes down to a record braking NA run With my current suspension setup I am extremly pleased allready.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:07 PM

25 lb's is still 25 lb's.. Every little thing counts when it comes down to a record braking NA run With my current suspension setup I am extremly pleased allready.
before turbo, i ran with two passengers weighing an additional 475lbs and that added .65 to my 1/4mile (yes, my track lets me run w/ passengers) - just random knowledge for ya...
Old 10-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Former Sponsor

they do lower your ground clearance..... so if you are slammed you might wana watch out
Old 10-30-2002, 10:24 PM

Re: Warpspeed subframe connector (sfc) stage 1 review

Remember, 2 days = 2 months to them.
I hear that. I'm still waiting to hear back from them 3+ weeks later.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:48 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Because most people on here are DIY....these require welding. I paid $120 for labor at a custom muffler shop. They did a great job. They prepped the surface and coated bare metal afterward with undercoating spray that I provided. Few other places wanted to charge me $250 - $350 for the same job. I had tons of other places just turned me down flat out. Good help is hard to find these days.

Originally posted by MaDxKiLLa
these sound so good but how come nobody has them??
Old 10-31-2002, 09:01 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

If you think your car handles good now, wait till you experience the handling with SFCs. The car is far more controlled and stable in the turns. Turn-in is quicker and there is much less "rocking" in bumpy turns.

Dave
Old 10-31-2002, 09:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good help is hard to find these days.

so true...
Old 10-31-2002, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Do you have the OEM exhaust or aftermarket? I'm surprised the stage 2 didn't fit.
I have a budget y-pipe. Everything else is stock. I replaced the short "s" pipe provided by WSP. I remember the new short pipe's rear-end flange was in the way too. I think maybe the center mounting pads were welded on the wrong location of the subframe connectors but they line up when the connectors were side-by-side.

I don't know how to get around it. Bending the crossmember to clear the exhaust pipe will make it too short for the mounting tabs. Considering the difference stage 1 makes, wondering what gains the stage 2 could've given me is now driving me nuts. I am considering a new b-pipe with a resonator to eliminate that extra flange. I wonder if its warpspeed's secret plan to force me to buy their b-pipe... because it worked!

On a side note, I printed your pics of powdercoated subframe connectors and used them as visuals! When a couple of their customers saw it, their eyes went .

Old 10-31-2002, 07:26 PM

$$$$ and efficiency. They save more money designing rigidity into the floorplan and associated structures than to have another robot or someone stand in the assembly line to install seperate structural pieces. Some new Mustangs with their super-old platform now come with bolt-on SFCs from the factory, but the owners replace them with weld-in aftermarket SFCs.

Btw I saw the installer push up the floorpan with his barehands where the passenger feet would be and there was a lot of flex!
Old 11-01-2002, 08:43 AM

Sweetness. I really can't wait until I have more money.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:05 AM

Just to let all of you know...

I've had Stage 1+2 on for a few months now, and I couldn't be happier. I don't drive my car everyday now since I'm in school, so whenever I DO drive, I feel like I'm driving a sports car, seriously.

The most notable feature of these SFCs happens when I turn the steering wheel. I turn it to make a turn, and it feels pretty planted and stable. But when I turn the wheel some more, even jerk the steering wheel, the car responds so sensitively and it really feels like it's prepped for Auto-X.

As I've said before, Stage II seems like it adds a bit too much extra stiffness to the ride. If I could do it all over again, I'd just get Stage I. But since Stage II is also on there, what the heck, might as well keep it. BTW, I paid $60 for Stage I install and $40 for Stage II (WSP didn't predrill some holes like they were supposed to..grr). This was done at a Midas muffler shop. There's always at least one *decent* and qulified guy who works there.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:11 AM

BTW, one word to describe the car: nimble.

It recovers from any slight lean in an instant, enabling you to gun it the instant you complete the corner.

Also, I saw that Turbo95Max did not claim these to be "great." Well, I'm pretty sure that these things work best with cars w/ H&Rs or higher (stock, Maxspeeds, Eibachs, etc).

I want a VI now!!!