General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Problem with MEVI activation

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 01:03 PM

Problem with MEVI activation

ok...so my MEVI has been acting up lately, and it's REALLY wierd. My harlan works FLAWLESSLY. The red light ALWAYS goes at the set RPM.

If I set the harlan to 2000 rpms, and rev the car in neutral the light comes on and a split second later the VI actuates.

If I set the harlan to 5000 rpms, and rev the car in neutral the light comes on and then there is a nice hefty delay before the VI valves actually open, usually at about 5500 rpms if I'm revving slowly in neutral.

If I leave the harlan at 5000 rpms and take it for a spin. The VI doesn't actuate in ANY gear at WOT until about 6300rpms....same thing happens when I set the rpm switch to 4500 rpms....so I'm pretty darn sure it's not the rpm switch.

I don't have a vaccuum leak because when I remove the hose from the vaccuum canister that goes to the MAP switch...it makes a wooshing noise...so the canister IS storing vaccuum....anyone have any Idea why this is happening????
Old 11-01-2002, 01:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Problem with MEVI activation

So you're saying when set at higher rpms, the VI activates slower, especially when in gear?

Just verify that your canister is storing vacuum, and not just at idle. As you know, at higher rpm, the manifold vacuum drops so the vacuum canister storing function is critical here. It continues to STORE vacuum quite a few minutes after you turn the car off so you can test it by hooking up a guage in the line to the solenoid, and turning off the car. The vacuum level should be not change once the car is off for quite a few minutes. No guage? Check the canister for vacuum 10 minutes after the car has been turned off...

Edit: BTW, you do have a check valve in there before the canister right?
Old 11-01-2002, 01:38 PM

Re: Re: Problem with MEVI activation

Originally posted by Mishmosh
So you're saying when set at higher rpms, the VI activates slower, especially when in gear?

Just verify that your canister is storing vacuum, and not just at idle. As you know, at higher rpm, the manifold vacuum drops so the vacuum canister storing function is critical here. It continues to STORE vacuum quite a few minutes after you turn the car off so you can test it by hooking up a guage in the line to the solenoid, and turning off the car. The vacuum level should be not change once the car is off for quite a few minutes. No guage? Check the canister for vacuum 10 minutes after the car has been turned off...

Edit: BTW, you do have a check valve in there before the canister right?
I've checked the canister for pressure after it sat ALL night...still makes the whooshing noise...I don't have a gauge. The canister has a built in check valve...but just in case I added a second check valve last night and went for a run....same deal.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine was doing the same thing where it was activating late, and it turned out to be just a loose ground wire to the MAP/BARO switch.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:17 PM

Maybe you just need a bigger canister. I'm not sure where, but when of these VI threads mentioned someone (speedtrip maybe?) having a giant canister from NAPA. Sorry for the vague memory. Hearing these vacuum issues about the VI makes me wonder if the VI plastic cover was shaped in such a way to also cover a big Nissan vacuum canister. There's a generous space under the cover. It doesn't show in any of the Nissan FSM diagrams. I wonder Where Nissan got the vacuum from

Isn't it odd, though, that the only person on this board who has a Middle East Maxima which came with the VI stock is the dreaded ROADBEAST? I would hope that there'd be at least 2 or 3 people, either from Australia or Japan. Maybe even Korea.

DW
Old 11-01-2002, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Maybe you just need a bigger canister. I'm not sure where, but when of these VI threads mentioned someone (speedtrip maybe?) having a giant canister from NAPA.
Took me a while but I found it, I think. Is this the one your talking about?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....acuum+canister

SuDZ
Old 11-01-2002, 03:20 PM

Sorry for the vague memory. Hearing these vacuum issues about the VI makes me wonder if the VI plastic cover was shaped in such a way to also cover a big Nissan vacuum canister. There's a generous space under the cover. It doesn't show in any of the Nissan FSM diagrams. I wonder Where Nissan got the vacuum from
DW
The vacuum canister really doesn't have to be too big. My canister came off a 3rd gen which also has a VI. My Harlans have always worked correctly, and my VI has never failed to open.
-hype
Old 11-01-2002, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Took me a while but I found it, I think. Is this the one your talking about?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....acuum+canister

SuDZ
LOL. Nah, that is my thread. Speedtrip has a HUGE canister from Summit Racing. You don't need one that big but it never hurts. The NAPA is fine. A couple of people have Nissan canisters from the junkyards that work fine too.

As for the under the cover canister placement, I would not recommend that. I have since moved it elsewhere because the area under the cover gets EXTREMELY hot (notice I didn't say warm).

As for the late activation delay only at higher rpm settings, I have no clue... The time delay after the set point should be the same no matter what the rpm. If the delay is prolonged but fixed, I would think that maybe the tubing from the solenoid to the VI actuator is too long or big, not enough vacuum, or the VI butterfly rod is hard to turn and takes time for the vacuum power to do it.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:37 PM

LOL. Nah, that is my thread. Speedtrip has a HUGE canister from Summit Racing.
Oh I figured the part number you gave for the summit racing one in that thread might have been what they were looking for. Oh well.

SuDZ
Old 11-01-2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Oh I figured the part number you gave for the summit racing one in that thread might have been what they were looking for. Oh well.

SuDZ
Oh yeah... my bad. That is the one.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:19 PM

Oh yeah... my bad. That is the one.

SuDZ
Old 11-01-2002, 04:36 PM

Funny, but that canister looks just like my hybrid intake In fact, my hybrid intake was snuggled up to a battery post just like yours, and mine slowly frayed some bits off of my filter I later installed the support bracket which I was too lazy to do in the 1st place. That held the filter just far enough away not to have it touching anything.

Anyhow, the reason I suggested a bigger canister is because, as mentioned before, the engine generates most of its vacuum at idle and less likely to do so at higher RPMs. So, if you're a rev happy, 4000 rpms and beyond kinda guy like I am, which I suspect that Briguy is as well, then maybe a bigger canister will have a bigger storage of vacuum to give until that time that Briguy finally reaches a stoplight

DW

Originally posted by xHypex

The vacuum canister really doesn't have to be too big. My canister came off a 3rd gen which also has a VI. My Harlans have always worked correctly, and my VI has never failed to open.
-hype
Old 11-01-2002, 04:49 PM

Anyhow, the reason I suggested a bigger canister is because, as mentioned before, the engine generates most of its vacuum at idle and less likely to do so at higher RPMs. So, if you're a rev happy, 4000 rpms and beyond kinda guy like I am, which I suspect that Briguy is as well, then maybe a bigger canister will have a bigger storage of vacuum to give until that time that Briguy finally reaches a stoplight

DW

Even a modest canister has enough storage to activate the actuator a few times without any vacuum replenishment. Besides, the greatest vacuum occurs at high rpms with the throttle plate closed, ie. letting off the gas at high rpm.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

Engines make it's highest vacuum at idle.

Even a modest canister has enough storage to activate the actuator a few times without any vacuum replenishment. Besides, the greatest vacuum occurs at high rpms with the throttle plate closed, ie. letting off the gas at high rpm.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:54 PM

So, if you're a rev happy, 4000 rpms and beyond kinda guy like I am, which I suspect that Briguy is as well, then maybe a bigger canister will have a bigger storage of vacuum to give until that time that Briguy finally reaches a stoplight
Maybe it will store more vacuum, but I frequently drive between Dallas and Austin (220 miles) and go over 5k multiple times without any problems. My trip is nonstop, so I'm not at idle, but I have yet to see my LED light up without hearing my VI kick in.
-hype
Old 11-02-2002, 06:55 AM

When bags533 was having problems with his VIM activating he traced it back to the actuator arm which was slightly bent.

One thing I have noticed on my maxima is that when I am testing the VI at 2k rpms it activates when the tach displays 2k rpms. When I have the rpm switch set 5000 rpms the tach is reading 5200 when I hear it click. My switchover is not delayed as you are expeiencing but my dynoes have cleary shown that the switchover is occouring at 5k rpms. So don't forget there's a little error in the tachometer.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by speedtrip
When bags533 was having problems with his VIM activating he traced it back to the actuator arm which was slightly bent.

One thing I have noticed on my maxima is that when I am testing the VI at 2k rpms it activates when the tach displays 2k rpms. When I have the rpm switch set 5000 rpms the tach is reading 5200 when I hear it click. My switchover is not delayed as you are expeiencing but my dynoes have cleary shown that the switchover is occouring at 5k rpms. So don't forget there's a little error in the tachometer.
I can understand tach error....but 5000 set and 6400 actual switchover is much more of a difference than 200rpms.....

I'm suspecting my vaccuum canister now...I'll have to make sure it's not leaking vaccuum. That still doesn't explain why it would switchover at 6400 if it didn't switchover earlier....I'm so confused...