General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Modified cars and the general public (Z show)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 02:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Modified cars and the general public (Z show)

I went to the Z car show in Houston at Sterling McCall Nissan today. It was drizzling a little, but plenty of people showed up. No Houston Maxima owners were there. A few Z club of Houston people were there. One 4th gen guy had his car on display, but no one was checking it out .
There were a few cool modified Z's, plus a lot of stock 350Zs, and a few 280Zs. Only one 350Z was open to the public, and it was a dealer car. Got in, felt comfy, but cramped, and I'm only 5' 8" 165lbs. Can't imagine how it will fit a 6'1" 200" driver.

Dumbest thing there (and to stay on topic): the people's choice award for best Z went to a STOCK green Z TT. It was clean, but STOCK. No mods at all. He got this big azz trophy and everyone was oooing and ahhing at a STOCK 300ZX. I talked to an owner of a highly modified Z about it and he didn't see the irony in it (schmoe). People's choice is a stock green car. Shows you what people think of modified cars.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:30 AM

bump.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:38 AM
i SeE what you did therE

interesting
Old 11-03-2002, 09:40 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by redmaxpa007
interesting
...ok....
Old 11-03-2002, 10:01 AM

I guess I'm just ****ed because there were some amazing modified Zs there. So when they awarded the people's choice award to a stock Z, I was like WTF?? Then I got really ****ed when I talked to one of the owners of a highly modified Z, and he acted like it was no big deal. If I spent that much time and effort on my car (I assume he spent a lot of time and effort because his car was heavily modified), that he'd be a little upset that other "car enthusiasts" didn't respect the time and effort he put into improving his car. These "Z enthusiasts" voted for a STOCK Z where the only work done is washing the car and vacuuming the interior .
Old 11-03-2002, 10:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Same thing happend at a local BMW show. There were M3s and M5s with M-Tecnik bodykits and 19"s and custom paint, but a stock M5 won. People value a well-kept car over a modified one. Anyone can get their car repainted, but to keep your stock paint in excellent condition is something else.
-Cyrus
Old 11-03-2002, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Vyrus
Same thing happend at a local BMW show. There were M3s and M5s with M-Tecnik bodykits and 19"s and custom paint, but a stock M5 won. People value a well-kept car over a modified one. Anyone can get their car repainted, but to keep your stock paint in excellent condition is something else.
-Cyrus
Come on, some of the modified cars are immaculate and clean too. I understand that the average car buyer doesn't care for modified race cars on the road, that makes sense. It just bugs me. I think most of the folks there were middle-aged white folks, so I guess I should have expected it.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tanman
I think most of the folks there were middle-aged white folks, so I guess I should have expected it.
The BMW guys were old, so they couldn't care less for modified cars.
-Cyrus
Old 11-04-2002, 07:14 AM

I was at the show also. Too bad it rained.

Anyways, the reason the green stock TT won was because he had his family and friends vote for his car. He had lots of support. It was pretty much a popularity vote. If you didn't notice, Fred's green SGP car won best of show and it was in the modified class. This just shows that the people's choice is just a popularity contest.

Which car did you vote for?

I had the black Twin Turbo under the green ez-up canopy right in front of the green stock TT.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by rodelb
I was at the show also. Too bad it rained.

Anyways, the reason the green stock TT won was because he had his family and friends vote for his car. He had lots of support. It was pretty much a popularity vote. If you didn't notice, Fred's green SGP car won best of show and it was in the modified class. This just shows that the people's choice is just a popularity contest.

Which car did you vote for?

I had the black Twin Turbo under the green ez-up canopy right in front of the green stock TT.
Dang wish I knew you were there, I would have introduced myself. I got some pics of your car under the canopy, very nice. I didn't vote because I got there late and didn't know what was going on. They had that table and I didn't know if we were signing up for the army or what, so I didn't vote. I guess it's not that big a deal, just sux that a stock car won over all the modified Zs, but you're right, it's just a popularity vote.

I thought the SGP car looked almost stock too, but that's cool that it won. I just think a lot of people didn't give the heavily modified Zs the respect they deserve, because of the fact that they are modified.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:17 AM

I hear ya on the people's choice thing.

It was cool that Jessie (green 4th gen Maxima) won 1st place in the Other Nissan category. His car is pretty much spotless.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:47 PM
+COLLANA+

hmm

I went to Sutherlin Nissan 350Z day right here in GA and lo!

All these rich @ss people with platinum plenums and everything who paid $25 popped their hood up and showed off their body kits...

But JZTT, Halo, me and my bro Latoilette, and couple others hanged around because I have a measly maxima while they have stock look with stock rims and no body kits and no $25.

The funny thing is we were not the slowest...especially JZ, with his stage 8 TT with boost controllers etc etc...

At the end, everyone who paid $25 got some kind of prize...and those who stayed till end got free racing 350Z gloves.

My rims are dirty and my car is dirty, but I can take on most people and spray my dirt on them