General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ID Max's for your Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 06:42 PM
Administrator

ID Max's for your Maxima

link me .. pm email.. link me.. limited amounts
Old 11-02-2002, 06:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: ID Max's for your Maxima

Originally posted by SprintMax
link me .. pm email.. link me.. limited amounts
Old 11-02-2002, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: ID Max's for your Maxima

Originally posted by emax95

Test Drives: 12-Inch Ruler Page 1 of 3
By Tom Nousaine [printer friendly]

The Image Dynamics iDMAX12 D4 12-inch subwoofer is a royal treat: It’s the king of response smoothness, power, and output.

IMAGE DYNAMICS has their headquarters in southern California, the home of The Beverly Hillbillies, The Beach Boys, and The Los Angeles Lakers. Though we think of those three groups as Californians, The Beach Boys may be the only "native" Californians in the bunch. Some people may not even realize that the reason an LA team is called the Lakers is because the franchise moved to California from Minneapolis, Minnesota. (There are over 10,000 lakes in Minnesota, but there ain’t that many lakes in LA.) And you’re probably aware that The Beverly Hillbillies were not born in Beverly Hills.

I guess I tend to think that all southern Californians, both natives and immigrants, display typical Californian characteristics. In my mind, Californians are shapely, blond, and tanned from hours on the beach and in the surf. And I’m also convinced Californians have an easy-going, laissez-faire attitude toward everything. But generalizations can be misleading. For example, the Image Dynamics iDMAX12 D4 12-inch subwoofer ($449) shows that Californians are hardly laid back when it comes to subwoofer design.

QUIK-LINKS
Tech Terms
Laboratory Measurements
The Art Of Break-in
The iDMAX12 is Image Dynamics’ new "statement" subwoofer. It has a tall powdercoated cast-aluminum basket (with an 8¼-inch mounting depth), a rubber surround, and a thick rubber gasket on the front of the frame lip. Front-panel mounting requires the supplied foam gasket. The 8-inch spider has integrated tinsel leads, and the stiff cone has a tasteful logo in place of a dust cap. Voice-coil connections are made with large wire spring clips (which ID calls "spring-loaded push terminals") mounted on each side of the basket.

The surround is very interesting. Unlike many longer-stroke subwoofers, the iDMAX12 D4 has a surround with a tall profile instead of a wide one. Typical surrounds are called a "half roll"; when viewed in cross section, they look like a circle cut in half or a symmetrical haystack. The iDMAX’s surround profile looks more like a Slinky toy walking down stairs. (Image Dynamics calls it a "parabolic curve.")

If you want a typical surround to allow more travel, you generally increase its width. However, there’s a problem with that approach. When you widen the surround, cone area is reduced. Because the surround is clamped to the frame at its outer edge, only about one-third of the surround actually moves in tandem with the cone. With a given frame size, a wider surround means a smaller cone.

Why is that bad? Because subwoofer performance comes from displacement. Displacement is the product of piston area (cone size, or Sd) and stroke (linear travel, excursion, or Xmax) times 2 (the speaker moves both forward and backward). Subwoofer displacement is like engine displacement; piston area is like bore, and stroke is like, well, stroke. More displacement generally means more SPL from subwoofers (and more horsepower from engines). If the stroke is linear, added power means a proportionally equal increase in SPL, and distortion is also kept low.

To get more SPL, you can use larger subwoofers, more subwoofers, or—with a given basket size—increase the displacement with longer-stroking subwoofers. To achieve this, many sub designers have moved to wider surrounds for more travel, but it sometimes comes with a penalty of up to 15% of piston area. With a typical 12-inch sub using an extra-wide surround in a worst-case scenario, you’d need an 18% increase in excursion to offset the reduction in piston area. The iDMAX uses the tall surround profile to increase displacement without reducing cone area.

The iDMAX also employs the other things needed in a high-performance sub. This includes a pair of 4-ohm long coils, a triple-stacked magnet, a vented pole piece, and machined top and bottom plates. The neck joint is of particular interest as well. The coil former and cone are both glued to a dished metal disc with dimples running from the edge to the center that become air-flow ports to assist circulation through the pole piece. The device looks like one of those little ashtrays they used to have at Mickey D’s. A good deal of heat gets generated in converting electrical and mechanical energy into SPL. Innovative cooling to rid the structure of heat is quite important for both long-term thermal health and keeping power compression (caused by voice-coil heating) in check
Old 11-02-2002, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Installation and Setup
Image Dynamics recommends sealed enclosures of 1.1 cubic feet or greater, and ported/passive-radiator boxes of 1.65 to 2.3 cubic feet. My modeling suggested that a 1.5-cubic-foot stuffed sealed box would deliver optimal performance in my recently acquired 2001 Corvette coupe. The various enclosure options are simply different ways of distributing the energy in the system. Del Helmer, sales manager at Image Dynamics, describes this equation in terms of a "sack of beans," with the beans representing the energy in the system (for all you DIYers, that’s the area under a response curve). The various enclosure types spread the energy out over a wider bandwidth or else they mound it up somewhere in the middle, but nothing changes the number of beans. Typically, infinite-baffle or larger sealed enclosures offer the most extended bandwidth, while the more complicated vented and bandpass systems concentrate energy in certain areas.

Hookup for the iDMAX is similar to that of any dual-coil sub. I ran mine in parallel, which made my installed system 2 ohms. ID supplies simple wiring diagrams for one or two sub applications. Pick your impedance and follow the diagram.

The 8¼-inch depth requirement may be a limiting factor for some installations. You sure ain’t gonna be putting any of these 28.5-pounders in your kickpanels or front doors. Because of its deep basket, the unit occupies more space than a typical 12-incher, so the iDMAX seems to be an excellent candidate for infinite-baffle installation in trunks.

I finished the system with a pair of Mirage AVS 200 home-theater speakers on the dash driven by a Bryston 2B home-theater power amplifier (100 watts x 2 into 4 ohms). A high-pass filter provided an 80-Hz cutoff with a slope of 6 dB per octave. The iDMAX was low-pass filtered at 150 Hz at a slope of 18 dB per octave to allow as much upper bandwidth of the sub to help the fronts. The iDMAX was driven by my Crown Macro Tech 5000VZ home-theater amplifier (rated at 5,000 watts x 1). Interestingly, a single channel of that amplifier configured in stereo (rated for 2,500 watts into 2 ohms) was plenty enough to drive the iDMAX to full output.

In-Car Sound Quality
How did the iDMAX12 sound? Spectacularly good. Plenty of detail at all frequencies and at all playback levels with rock, jazz, and classical music. For example, Melissa Etheridge’s vocals were natural and clean on "Similar Features," from Melissa Etheridge (Island). The percussion was crisp with full detail, and I could discern the bassline from the kick drum even as the latter was punching my sternum. It’s hard to imagine any system, home or car, delivering a better rendition of this tune.

Likewise, on Carla Bley’s "Copyright Royalties," from Social Studies (ECM), the tuba was full and resonant, the clarinet sonorous, and all of the subtle percussion—particularly the soft brushes in the background—was clearly discernible. On Heart’s "Magic Man," from Dreamboat Annie (Capitol), there was a wonderful sense of every minute detail of the layered mix being perfectly delivered in the presence of the screaming guitar and pounding bass. The iDMAX 12 delivers quite a combo: power, clarity, and nuance
Old 11-02-2002, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Staging and imaging were also exemplary, although occasionally I could glean an alley in the frontal stage where no sound seemed to be present, and there was only a moderate sense of depth. The images stayed locked up front nearly all the time, although on one cut—Tracy Chapman’s "For You," from Tracy Chapman (Elektra)—there was just the slightest tendency for the images to pull rearward.

Dynamics were outstanding. There was never a trace of intermodulation distortion on even the toughest tests—Joe Williams’ "Dimples," from I Just Wanna Sing (Delos), and Roy Orbison’s "Dream You," from Mystery Girl (Virgin)—where the basslines can modulate the trumpets or vocals. There was also that great sense of immersion and envelopment that comes with a full-bandwidth low-frequency system. The organ resonates all around and inside you (on tracks such as Bach’s "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" on Laserlight’s Virgil Fox CD). When I played the part of "Jurassic Lunch" (from Telarc’s The Great Fantasy–Adventure Album) where the T. rex is approaching, you can’t tell exactly where the footsteps are coming from because they’re shaking the earth itself. The final roar is so enveloping that it sounds like you’re hearing it from inside the belly of the beast. Very cool.

Conclusions
The Image Dynamics iDMAX 12 D4 subwoofer is the new king of the 12-inch hill. It has the most output of any 12 I’ve tested to date, and its response smoothness is better than or equivalent to any other 12 I know. It combines tasteful design, engineering excellence, incredible power, and fantastic sonics. If you must have the best 12-inch sub I’ve ever tested, then this is it. The iDMAX12 has only two limitations: Its mounting depth and its $449 suggested retail price. No, it’s not tanned and it’s not blond, but I do think it’s well shaped, and so is its frequency-response curve—and that’s no California dreaming.

The Vitals
PRICE: $449.
WARRANTY: 2 years if installed by an authorized dealer or if installed in a dealer-approved enclosure; 90 days if not.
MANUFACTURER: Image Dynamics, Dept. ME, 18235 S. Figueroa St., Gardena, CA 90248; 310-856-4999; www.imagedynamicsusa.com
Old 11-02-2002, 07:21 PM
Blu
the tits

hmmmm would this compete with the w7 series??
Old 11-02-2002, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
hmmmm would this compete with the w7 series??

they are both on par with SPL.. the ID Max has better SQ .. the ID Max has a 3 inch Excursion.. the ID Max can also handle up to 4000 watts Peak and 1800 watts RMS..

bottom line.. the ID Max is $300 cheaper and a better bang for the buck.. the only Sub that comes close to the ID Max on Performance for the same price is the Adire Brahma
Old 11-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Blu
the tits

they are both on par with SPL.. the ID Max has better SQ .. the ID Max has a 3 inch Excursion.. the ID Max can also handle up to 4000 watts Peak and 1800 watts RMS..

bottom line.. the ID Max is $300 cheaper and a better bang for the buck.. the only Sub that comes close to the ID Max on Performance for the same price is the Adire Brahma
shiet 1800 rms. wonder if the sq is still ok with only about 800 watts goin to it. this woofer has me sold when I decide to complete my system.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:34 PM
Administrator

shiet 1800 rms. wonder if the sq is still ok with only about 800 watts goin to it. this woofer has me sold when I decide to complete my system.
i had 700 watts to it RMS.. and it sounded better than my old 2 12 inch JL's.. delio's 3 JL 10's.. my cousin's .. 1 audiomobile.. this sub is amazing..
Old 11-02-2002, 07:42 PM
Blu
the tits

i had 700 watts to it RMS.. and it sounded better than my old 2 12 inch JL's.. delio's 3 JL 10's.. my cousin's .. 1 audiomobile.. this sub is amazing..
what amp would you recommend using that doesn't break the bank.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:04 PM
Administrator

what amp would you recommend using that doesn't break the bank.
JBL BP1200.1 .. $325 on ebay and will power these babies real good.. 1200W x 1 @ 2 ohms
Old 11-02-2002, 08:28 PM

The suspension on the ID Max might have a 3" excursion, but the motor itself does not. From their own site. "Massive excursion engineered in the IDMAX boasts a SPL producing 24.9 mm one-way linear excursion (Xmax) with a 3.70" peak-to-peak (Xsus) suspension excursion." That's not really anything special. A Stryke AV12 has just as much Xmax as the ID Max. It can even keep up with one in SPL and knowing Stryke's reputation likely also in SQ. Oh, and the AV12 costs all of $175. The AV12 also gives a better Q (damping factor) in the same size boxes.

If you really want a killer single sub get an Adire Tumult. 34mm of xmax and a suspension to match.

Stereodude
Old 11-02-2002, 08:33 PM
Administrator

dude i am just trying to help some people get some subs that are on backorder all over the world.. i am not really trying to tell people what sub to buy.. i could care less if they buy them or not.. personally i could keep the info to myself and do my own thing.. if i wanted to boast and show the exploits of the IDMax i would have posted in the Audio forum..

Originally posted by Stereodude
The suspension on the ID Max might have a 3" excursion, but the motor itself does not. From their own site. "Massive excursion engineered in the IDMAX boasts a SPL producing 24.9 mm one-way linear excursion (Xmax) with a 3.70" peak-to-peak (Xsus) suspension excursion." That's not really anything special. A Stryke AV12 has just as much Xmax as the ID Max. It can even keep up with one in SPL and knowing Stryke's reputation likely also in SQ. Oh, and the AV12 costs all of $175. The AV12 also gives a better Q (damping factor) in the same size boxes.

If you really want a killer single sub get an Adire Tumult. 34mm of xmax and a suspension to match.

Stereodude
Old 11-02-2002, 08:51 PM

dude i am just trying to help some people get some subs that are on backorder all over the world.. i am not really trying to tell people what sub to buy.. i could care less if they buy them or not.. personally i could keep the info to myself and do my own thing.. if i wanted to boast and show the exploits of the IDMax i would have posted in the Audio forum..
I didn't realize there was a high demand on these subs here on the .org If you post in the car audio forum most of the people wouldn't see it.

Stereodude
Old 11-02-2002, 09:06 PM
Administrator

I didn't realize there was a high demand on these subs here on the .org If you post in the car audio forum most of the people wouldn't see it.

Stereodude
well not on the org.. but high demand in general.. i know a couple people here that were looking.. but i think ID is going to go out of business because of their lack of ability to produce to the demand for their subs.. they are just plain stupid .. no business sense..
Old 11-02-2002, 10:17 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Do they make this thing in 10"?

I have 2 Image Dynamics IDQ 10s sitting around waiting for a box..
i much rather have a single 10 than 2 10s.. 12s are cool but that one has a little too much boom IMHO.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:47 PM

well not on the org.. but high demand in general.. i know a couple people here that were looking.. but i think ID is going to go out of business because of their lack of ability to produce to the demand for their subs.. they are just plain stupid .. no business sense..
Does ID even make their own drivers? There are only 3 house's Destijl, TC Sounds, and Emminence that I know of, but a few (very few) companies make their own. I suspect they're having the ID Max fab'd at TC Sounds, but that's just a suspicion at this point. (quite a few of TC's drivers have a suspension capable of 3")

Stereodude
Old 11-03-2002, 12:22 AM

ike sound has the jbl 1200.1 for $285. website is ikesound.com my friend got a 600.1 from them and free shipping, it works great.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:43 AM

If you're gonna spend that much on a sub, might was well get the best - a brahma.....
Old 11-03-2002, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Do they make this thing in 10"?

I have 2 Image Dynamics IDQ 10s sitting around waiting for a box..
i much rather have a single 10 than 2 10s.. 12s are cool but that one has a little too much boom IMHO.

huge diff between the IDQ and IDMax.. huge huge huge..

yeah they do make 10's but i would have to chck my supplier to see if they have any
Old 11-03-2002, 04:37 AM
Administrator

Does ID even make their own drivers? There are only 3 house's Destijl, TC Sounds, and Emminence that I know of, but a few (very few) companies make their own. I suspect they're having the ID Max fab'd at TC Sounds, but that's just a suspicion at this point. (quite a few of TC's drivers have a suspension capable of 3")

Stereodude
my cousin and i have a theory that the Brahma, ID Max and Audiomobile Driver is made by the same company..

Originally posted by skeelo34
If you're gonna spend that much on a sub, might was well get the best - a brahma.....
again.. you are missing the point of this thread.. second of all.. did i say what price they were? i don't think i mentioned the price they were available at in this thread..
Old 11-03-2002, 06:25 AM

i know steve wants an ID Max... talk to him...

I know this because as soon as he gets an ID Max I'm taking his Kappa Perfect off his hands.

- M
Old 11-03-2002, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by mattC
i know steve wants an ID Max... talk to him...

I know this because as soon as he gets an ID Max I'm taking his Kappa Perfect off his hands.

- M
you are late

he was the one the reason i decided to ask if the guy had more.. i was only buying one.. and steve said ask for one for me and see how many he has..
Old 11-03-2002, 06:51 AM

my cousin and i have a theory that the Brahma, ID Max and Audiomobile Driver is made by the same company..
The Brahma and Tumult are made by Destijl for Adire. Any sub that uses their new patented XBL^2 motor technology is also going to be made by Destijl (at this point). Automobile subs are made by TC Sounds for them. Some of Adire's other subs are made by TC Sounds. A believe that Adire also has some subs/drivers made my Eminence as well (DPL 12). At this point I don't know who makes the ID Max. I know that at least some Eclipse's products are also made by TC Sounds as well.

I guess I should point out that just because these different subs are made at the same build house doesn't mean they're the same. It only means they will have similar build quality.

Stereodude
Old 11-03-2002, 09:51 AM

again.. you are missing the point of this thread.. second of all.. did i say what price they were? i don't think i mentioned the price they were available at in this thread..

You didn't mention the price, but I still said whats a better sub....
Old 11-03-2002, 10:19 AM
Administrator

You didn't mention the price, but I still said whats a better sub....
so i guess if the Brahma is $390 and the ID Max was "$200" it would still be a better sub right? check Sound Domain.. the ID Max has better SQ than the Brahma and better SPL with less power.. so what if the Brahma has a better Xcursion.. the IDMax still sounds better..
Old 11-03-2002, 10:31 AM

so i guess if the Brahma is $390 and the ID Max was "$200" it would still be a better sub right? check Sound Domain.. the ID Max has better SQ than the Brahma and better SPL with less power.. so what if the Brahma has a better Xcursion.. the IDMax still sounds better..
Price would not matter what sub is better, only which is more economical to buy. Btw, the brahma is 379 shipped if you want to be exact. So are you saying you get the ID max for 200?

Btw, do you have a permanent connection to the org on your body?
Old 11-03-2002, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Price would not matter what sub is better, only which is more economical to buy. Btw, the brahma is 379 shipped if you want to be exact. So are you saying you get the ID max for 200?
excuse me for missing the $11 anyway.. like i said.. this thread is for org members who wanted ID Max's and couldn't get them..

if you want them to buy Brahma's .. get the hell out of my thread make your own and start a group deal ..

Btw, do you have a permanent connection to the org on your body?
i don't think thats any of your damn business
Old 11-03-2002, 11:06 AM

if you want them to buy Brahma's .. get the hell out of my thread make your own and start a group deal ..

Make me biatch.

So are these 200 dollars or not?
Old 11-03-2002, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Make me biatch.

So are these 200 dollars or not?

doesn't matter the brahma's are better
Old 11-03-2002, 12:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you didn't tell me about this deal because...

you're a douchebag.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by CKNY
you didn't tell me about this deal because...

you're a douchebag.

nah.. i won the auction on ebay and decided to rub it in dmbmaxima's face ... then he said ask the dood if he had more.. i emailed him and he said yes.. so if you want one let me know homey.. you know we go back and i posted this thread immediately after getting the email
Old 11-03-2002, 01:42 PM

doesn't matter the brahma's are better
you finally see the light.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:10 PM
Administrator

you finally see the light.
yes i did
Old 11-03-2002, 02:11 PM

yes i did
Good.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:58 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

nah.. i won the auction on ebay and decided to rub it in dmbmaxima's face ... then he said ask the dood if he had more.. i emailed him and he said yes.. so if you want one let me know homey.. you know we go back and i posted this thread immediately after getting the email
yes he did, i was gonna check ebay from work but it was the 1st and i had new account customers all day, then meetings ect... the bank's are alwasy crazy on teh 1st. i never checked. come home, check. one auction, refurb. i was like hmmm, maybe. so for some reason i IM sprinty and he's like heeh, sends me a link, i'm like WTF that bastard. can you please ask him for more lol. so the guys like ya sure, i'm getting one and i can't wait. i've heard nothign but awesome things about them. mattsy you'll have the kappa soon, enought. and for the record
1000 WATTS RMS
1800 WATTS PEAK
i'll be wiring mine at 2 ohms and gettnig 700watts RMS out of my PG XS2500 with a 1 farad cap. should thump good.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:06 PM
Administrator

*cough* 1800 RMS / 4000 PEAK *cough*

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

yes he did, i was gonna check ebay from work but it was the 1st and i had new account customers all day, then meetings ect... the bank's are alwasy crazy on teh 1st. i never checked. come home, check. one auction, refurb. i was like hmmm, maybe. so for some reason i IM sprinty and he's like heeh, sends me a link, i'm like WTF that bastard. can you please ask him for more lol. so the guys like ya sure, i'm getting one and i can't wait. i've heard nothign but awesome things about them. mattsy you'll have the kappa soon, enought. and for the record
1000 WATTS RMS
1800 WATTS PEAK
i'll be wiring mine at 2 ohms and gettnig 700watts RMS out of my PG XS2500 with a 1 farad cap. should thump good.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:33 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

*cough* 1800 RMS / 4000 PEAK *cough*

cough 1000 RMS / 1800 PEAK cough

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSIDMAX12D2
http://www.carsound.com/news/archives/6_16_101_2.shtml
Old 11-03-2002, 03:39 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

cough 1000 RMS / 1800 PEAK cough