General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

- Anyone else have a 6-Puck Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 03:33 PM

- Anyone else have a 6-Puck Clutch?

- Alright, I did something stupid. I had an ACT 6-Puck clutch installed. It is nowhere near as streetable as the guy who sold it to me said it would be.

Driveable? Yes. Enjoyable? No.

- Has anyone else done this? I've already ordered a street disc from ACT and hope to have it installed by the end of the week. What a waste of money...
Old 11-04-2002, 03:40 PM

At least you could make stupid choices liek that...with my auto I wish I could have screw ups like that
Old 11-04-2002, 03:45 PM

That is the race clutch they offer right? Keep using it and say goodbye to the tranny.

SuDZ
Old 11-04-2002, 03:46 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=155985

EdgeProductions has a 6 puck.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:51 PM
Administrator

if you had searched you would have known it has killed about 6 trannies so far
Old 11-04-2002, 04:17 PM

6 puck? I got a 3 puck stage5 clutchmaster talk about chatter off the line
Old 11-04-2002, 04:33 PM

darn Nissan trannys
Old 11-04-2002, 05:08 PM

why on earth would you want a 6-puck clutch on a NA maxima?
Old 11-04-2002, 09:27 PM

- This is Matt - I'm at my friend's house and am using his computer. Pardon the swapped names.

- Anyhow, I did a search for the 6-puck clutch "breaking" trannies and came up with bupkus. Nodda. Nuthin. I am still counting the hours until I can get the street disc in, but I'm not too concerned for the time being. I just want to try and avoid breaking any engine mounts.

- I found that if I pull the pedal out slowly, wait for the clunk, then "slip" (never before has this term been quite so relative) the clutch while getting on the gas very quickly, I can pull away with a mild shuffle from whichever tire gives up first. No shudder, just a wee bit of wheelspin. If I'm lucky, the dry-rotted all-season tires I'm driving on won't chirp and I won't attract any attention from the cops. So far, so good. Thank God I haven't had to drive in the rain yet.

- Once the car is rolling, there aren't any problems. Just pay real close attention to matching revs.

- Anyhow, if someone can direct me to a link for a "My 6-Puck Clutch just broke my Tranny" post, I would appreciate it.

Matt (SleeperSE)
Old 11-05-2002, 08:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I heard that six pucks were the worst to use. I heard if you do I think 3 puck is far enough to go anything over that dont go, this is from what Ive heard here at Maxima.org
Old 11-06-2002, 07:29 PM

HAHA

HAHA,

Ok so first you brag that your Maxima is slightly quicker then my miata in a straight line. Then you brag that it has a more comfortable ride, Then you brag that it's the perfect highway car, and then you brag about your Class leading rear seat space. SOOO

So what do I do. I sell the miata and get a volvo that Kicks your *** in a straight line (and by .7sec on the autox course), Has more rear seat space. Is FAR more comfortable (compared to your Hard as rock rear seats) and is a far better highway car.

So what do you do? You turn your maxima into a undriveable Stiff riding harsh clutch engagment loud Beast very similar to everything I complained about on my miata.

WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.

OH AND THEN YOU POST UNDER MY SCREEN NAME. BASTARD

All I have to say is...

DNF's Don't Count!!!! The volvo will haunt your FOR-EV-ER!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2002, 09:15 PM

I'm glad you posted that twice. I feel a lot better having read it the 2nd time.

Stereodude
Old 11-06-2002, 11:06 PM

- Jeez, Ian. Post much? Post much?

- Just for the record, I had one run that cleaned that Volvo's clock by over a second and a half. I whacked a cone big-time, which cost me the run. So, yes, he got me officially. But the Max had way more potential - it was just slowed down by its cone-killing driver.
- Need I post a link to your tire/cone-killing S2000 video? Hee hee hee.

- Clutch should be sorted out by Friday. I get to use the shop that installed the six-puck. Thursday is for taking everything apart. Friday morning the flywheel gets a PROPER resurfacing. Friday night everything goes back on the car. Sigh... Don't ever buy a six-puck for a street car. Stupidest thing I've ever done - besides letting a Volvo beat me!
Old 11-07-2002, 06:35 AM

HEHE

Sorry about the double Post. The whole thing just kinda froze up when I clicked on submit. So after waiting for a while I hit stop, Then Hit submit again and it fired right up. OH well. People just get to laugh twice.

If you had of attended the meeting you would heard this but... You DNF'd that quick run, BECAUSE, you short cutted the salom the same way that tim studdard did. It knocked 1.5 seconds off tims time allowing Laing to beat him, remember we all thought how could a mini run 39's, well he was running them because he was skipping 1.5 seconds worth of course. The Monroe Sensatrac Virtually stock 850 with unuseable Power wins another round. HEHEHEHE
Old 11-07-2002, 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a six puck "sprung hub" from Clutchnet.com and it is streetable. The ACT is a solid hub, thats what makes it not streetable. My clutchnet does groan and is not like a stock or regular performance clutch, however is is streetable. For me I went with the six puck because I prefer to do back to bac runs at the drag strip and this causes allot of heeat build up. The cermaic/metalic discs on the six puck stick better when they are hot. Organic material will slip when it gets hot. If I wast not going to do any track work and just ocasionally street race the ACT HDMM would be just fine, but it wouldnt take the back to back abuse at the track that I dish out.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by SuDZ
Keep using it and say goodbye to the tranny.

SuDZ
Your tranny will be gone shortly. ...and unless you ride the clutch, I bet the chatter off the line is a batch!
Old 11-08-2002, 11:54 AM

Hee hee

- I just got the flywheel resurfaced this morning. My friend and I are putting it all back together again tonight. Ahh, in a few hours, my car will be streetable again.

- I'll check in with y'all later.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:11 PM

Re: - Anyone else have a 6-Puck Clutch?

Originally posted by SleeperSE
- Alright, I did something stupid. I had an ACT 6-Puck clutch installed. It is nowhere near as streetable as the guy who sold it to me said it would be.

Driveable? Yes. Enjoyable? No.

- Has anyone else done this? I've already ordered a street disc from ACT and hope to have it installed by the end of the week. What a waste of money...
I have the ACT HDR6 setup with the AASCO 11 lbs flywheel and I love it, and have no problem driving it even in rush hour! Course I also love a quick and aggressive engaging clutch also!

Jared
Old 11-09-2002, 09:22 AM

= Eureka! It all worked. Every single thing. Ah, the satisfaction of a job done right.
- The car feels awesome. The clutch engages nice and high on the pedal travel and has good feel. The overall feel of the pedal, itself, is glorious. It is a huge improvement over the stock feel.
- The HD pressure plate and the street disc feel like they were meant to be installed together. It fixed everything. I can't tell you how great it all feels.

- It turned out (not surprisingly) that the flywheel was extremely warped and that the release bearing was noisy as hell. Flywheel was resurfaced and the release bearing and pilot bushing were replaced.
- Basically, everything was done correctly this time. No half-*** methods were used, as in the original 6-puck install. And I did find out that the massive amounts of chatter were a direct result of the flywheel not be properly resurfaced.

- And on top of it all, my friend and I put the whole thing back together in less than two hours! Considering that it took us three and a half to take it all apart, this is quite an accomplishment.

- Anyhow, I'm ecstatic that it feels so great now. After I break it in, I'll let you know how its grabbing.