General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone's exhaust hang like this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone's exhaust hang like this?

I noticed it after my RT cat was put on by a shop here. It does not seem right to me. I guess it is not hurting anything. My exhaust still rattles now and then. I know it is not my heat shield either.

I wonder if I can just wrap all my pipes and that would end my rattle?

Any help on my hanging pipe would be nice too. =)

**DELETED TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS**
Old 11-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Anyone's exhaust hang like this?

you should talk to "Toolrocks" ..at our last meet I saw his exahsut hanging the EXACT same way. and I think he mentioned his rattled as well...

Originally posted by Prodeje79
Any help on my hanging pipe would be nice too. =)
Old 11-04-2002, 06:01 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

that is NOT good... ok help me out here... this is the b-pipe correct?? going from the CAT to the muffler??

This is the stock pipe??
Old 11-04-2002, 06:12 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

a friend of mine had the same thing happen to him. he had a muffler put on and the factory b-pipe looked all phucked up and hanging down afterwards. thats not the way its supposed to be, not sure how he fixed it though.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:22 PM

Can't you just have a shop weld a hanger to the top of the b-pipe?
Old 11-04-2002, 06:52 PM

I have the Cattman SS y-pipe, RT Cat, and Greddy SS catback.

I guess I will go get a few free estimates from some exhaust places.

I will also go back to my shop.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:42 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

There should have been a hanger that held the b-pipe up.. maybe the shop hacked it off or missed it.. put your car on a lift and look under there.. take pics too
Old 11-04-2002, 10:55 PM

Actually, a bunch of max's that I've seen with Greddy and A'PEXi exhausts coupled with a y-pipe look like that...including mine, and BrianV's.....mine doesn't rattle at all. There's nothing wrong with it...

come to think of it...after I got my y-pipe installed, my STOCK cat-back did that too....
Old 11-04-2002, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Actually, a bunch of max's that I've seen with Greddy and A'PEXi exhausts coupled with a y-pipe look like that...including mine, and BrianV's.....mine doesn't rattle at all. There's nothing wrong with it...

I have the Apexi WS exhaust and mine doesn't look like that at all. It doesn't hang that low.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:17 PM

I think it's fine as long as you NEVER go over a speedbump.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:19 PM

Mine is just like that, but not nearly to that degree. I have no rattles or noises at all.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:04 AM

I think that is way too low for an exhaust to be hanging. I have Stillen y-pipe, stock cat and an Apexi exhaust on a 98 Maxima and it's all close to the body. I think it even increased my ground clearance compared to stock.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:16 AM

come to think of it...after I got my y-pipe installed, my STOCK cat-back did that too....
And you wonder why your car is killing one flex section after another This is not normal! Your whole exhaust system is shaking wildly when your car is in moion(this kills flex sections and makes noises) My 95 max did this once in a while when my B-pipe would come out of the exhaust hanger. You guys with this problem are either missing the exhaust hanger or your B-pipe came loose of it. This is a VERY easy fix..
Old 11-05-2002, 04:58 AM

That looks like a Camry exhaust.

You shouldn't see the exhaust at all when installed correctly.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In particular, examine the hanger that comes right at the first bend of the b-pipe. If it is too taut, it will pull the front portion of the pipe up and to the left while the rear will sag...
Old 11-05-2002, 06:22 AM
i SeE what you did therE

that is not supper to be like that..
Old 11-05-2002, 06:48 AM

No way that is right. You shouldn't be able to see the b-pipe at all. They made your car look like a Camry!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My exhaust also hangs a little low, but not to the same degree as yours. The shop who installed my catback also noted it and mentioned there was nothing to do. It was simply "a shoe that doesn't quite fit".

(Yes, all the hangers are inserted)

-Left
Old 11-05-2002, 07:04 AM
What's next!?..

I know I had this problem when the guys at the muffler shop were fitting my system a few weeks ago. I forgot what they did exactly but after they were done nothing hung down. No rattling at all.

I'll have to take a few pics next time I crawl under there.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by emax95

And you wonder why your car is killing one flex section after another This is not normal! Your whole exhaust system is shaking wildly when your car is in moion(this kills flex sections and makes noises) My 95 max did this once in a while when my B-pipe would come out of the exhaust hanger. You guys with this problem are either missing the exhaust hanger or your B-pipe came loose of it. This is a VERY easy fix..
Ethan,

ok, maybe mine doesn't hang THAT low, but it's still down more than stock. My hangers are all intact and hooked up. I am VERY careful with my exhaust because I have had so many problems with it. Mine has been hanging lower every since I got a y-pipe installed. Even the stock exhaust hung lower. That has nothing to do with my y-pipe problems becuase the hanger that supports the y-pipe/cat it fully intact.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:33 AM

I have the same setup as this. Mine hangs the same way. There are no other hangers missing and the exhaust sits pretty tight. I broke a flex section on a Y-Pipe once but that was with Cattmans 'old school' JetHot Y-pipe (I loved the growl it gave off). Cattman ripped the company he had making it and said it was a quality issue. He also said it could be my mounts that made it break but I doubt it was that.

I've had the Cattman SS Y-pipe for 2+ Years and it hasn't broke... It rattles a little, (the 'cross member' sits close to the Y-pipe).

I believe its the design of the Greddy catback. That appears to be the way its welded. I cant see how it can be pushed up and supported on a hanger WITHOUT twisting the rest of the exhaust. (maybe you guys with the seperate B-pipe and muffler can do this, but the Greddy is ONE piece) But if anyone has done this with the Greddy or knows of a fix, enlighten me.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by MAXIN

I believe its the design of the Greddy catback. That appears to be the way its welded. I cant see how it can be pushed up and supported on a hanger WITHOUT twisting the rest of the exhaust. (maybe you guys with the seperate B-pipe and muffler can do this, but the Greddy is ONE piece) But if anyone has done this with the Greddy or knows of a fix, enlighten me.
I agree. It's normal by design of the cat-back if you want to get the pipe cut, repositioned and re-welded, then that could fix it. Max7 did this a while back it cost him about $50 at an performance shop. His doesn't hang much now, but what he really did it for was the clanking of the b-pipe on the rear axle when he went over bumps.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:45 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Somethings not right. I just just did my rtcat and apexi ws a couple of weeks ago. Fits as good as stock.

Aaron
Old 11-05-2002, 10:46 AM

Just becuase it's not the same as yours doesn't mean it's "not right".
Every exhaust fits every car differently. I've seen enough maximas with aftermarket exhaust than hangs down a little there with no problems to conclude that it's NOT AN ISSUE.

BTW - My b-pipe also hangs down a little...and it NEVER hits anything. The only thing that will ever scrape is my resonator...and thats even RARE.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:48 AM

It is definetly the hanger unless you recently bent your piping. That happened to me with my greddy.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:53 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
Mine is just like that, but not nearly to that degree. I have no rattles or noises at all.
same here... im a 4th gen too. The only modification i did was put on a greddy catback. I actually noticed that last week as i was walking and approaching my car. I never noticed it before... but i don't hear any noises or anything.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:45 AM

This is how it has looked since about March/April when I had my clutch,ur fw, ur udp, quiafe, RT cat installed. I do not recall my pipe hanging that low previously when it was just my Greddy catback and cattman SS ypipe. But again, my car was out of commission from October 2001 to that march/april 2002 time becuase I had been waiting on a bunch of parts that never came. So I decided to buy it from another source, but hey that is a different story.

My altinator and battery went out this summer, so I had it replaced under warrenty at nissan. I asked them about my exhaust and they blamed the aftermarket parts not fitting properly and needed to be bent around or something. So I think it must not be an easy fix. I just assumed thats how it must be and here I am....
I guess I will see what my shop says, but it has been 7 months + since the install. I did however mention it to my shop a day after I got my car back, so I will see if they will help me.

Thanks for everyones input! I now know it is not just me being picky about how it looks.