General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

heat wrap for exhaust? works?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 06:00 PM

heat wrap for exhaust? works?!

has anoneone put heat wrap on their y pipe or headers?? it says it works but i dunno?? anyone does??or has? maybe even putting it on CAI to keep the air cold in it??
Old 11-06-2002, 11:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: heat wrap for exhaust? works?!

Originally posted by Maxima90SE
has anoneone put heat wrap on their y pipe or headers?? it says it works but i dunno?? anyone does??or has? maybe even putting it on CAI to keep the air cold in it??
Old 11-07-2002, 02:32 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Hmm...ask that one guy that recently introduced a new turbo kit for the 4th gen. I think he used heat wrap for the piping. Theoretically it should work.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:06 AM

I was thinking of doing this to my y-pipe to reduce the sound....

I'm pretty sure Y2KevSe had his supercharger tubing wrapped
when he had it.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:09 AM

I used it on my return cold air from the intercooler... still debating if I want to do that or powdercoat as powdercoating is the obvious "prettier" answer...

Old 11-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Handsome

Chevy uses it on their corvettes. But it is there to heat up the pipe so the cats will warm faster. Hot cats reduce emissions, if chevy didn't have this they would have to put more cats on that would sacrifice power. A simple engineered way of getting more power with low emissions.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Street Reeper
Chevy uses it on their corvettes. But it is there to heat up the pipe so the cats will warm faster. Hot cats reduce emissions, if chevy didn't have this they would have to put more cats on that would sacrifice power. A simple engineered way of getting more power with low emissions.
Kevin had it on his crossover pipe to keep the heat off the pipes. I use a CAI DEI cover on my cross over pipe to keep the pipes as cool as possible. All you NA guys with CAI will benefit from this cover. It is a $58 cover. After a 10 minute drive pop your hood and touch the metal CAI tubes, careful they are a bit warm. That is what the DEI CAI is for to keep the temp a bit cooler. As far as wrapping the Ypipe I dont wrap my Y pipe so that answer I can give you.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:37 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by JAY25

Kevin had it on his crossover pipe to keep the heat off the pipes. I use a CAI DEI cover on my cross over pipe to keep the pipes as cool as possible. All you NA guys with CAI will benefit from this cover. It is a $58 cover. After a 10 minute drive pop your hood and touch the metal CAI tubes, careful they are a bit warm. That is what the DEI CAI is for to keep the temp a bit cooler. As far as wrapping the Ypipe I dont wrap my Y pipe so that answer I can give you.
i thought about getting one of those when i an not showing the car..

(everyday drving)
Old 11-07-2002, 11:01 AM

On turbocharged cars heat wrap is used on the exhaust pipes leading to the turbo so that heat energy is retained in the exhaust. You don't want the exhaust gases to contract as they cool off until after they are run through the turbine. In SCed or NAed cars it has no use on the exhaust except for keeping heat out of the engine bay or allowing the cat to operate hotter.

As far as intake pipes are concerned, if you're NA, then maybe heat wrap will keep engine bay heat from soaking into the intake pipe while stopped, but the engine bay doesn't get that hot when you are moving and air is circulating. In turbo or SC sitatuations, I believe heat wrap can hurt you because it prevents heat from escaping the heated, compressed air between the blower and the intake. The question is whether the intake air is hotter than the engine bay air. If it is, then heat wrap hurts you.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:13 PM

Re: Re: heat wrap for exhaust? works?!

Originally posted by Stephen Max

As far as intake pipes are concerned, if you're NA, then maybe heat wrap will keep engine bay heat from soaking into the intake pipe while stopped, but the engine bay doesn't get that hot when you are moving and air is circulating. In turbo or SC sitatuations, I believe heat wrap can hurt you because it prevents heat from escaping the heated, compressed air between the blower and the intake. The question is whether the intake air is hotter than the engine bay air. If it is, then heat wrap hurts you.

I popped my hood many times after rolling on the highway as you just posted and the pipes were hot. Also when my car is cool and I warm up the engine and proceed to run someone within minutes I can feel the difference in performance when the pipes are cooler then when they are hot. The wrap that I have has some type of fiberglass built into it and is not as hot as the pipes usually would be.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: heat wrap for exhaust? works?!

Originally posted by JAY25

I popped my hood many times after rolling on the highway as you just posted and the pipes were hot. Also when my car is cool and I warm up the engine and proceed to run someone within minutes I can feel the difference in performance when the pipes are cooler then when they are hot. The wrap that I have has some type of fiberglass built into it and is not as hot as the pipes usually would be.

When I install my SC I'm going to also install an intake air temperature gauge and take measurements between the filter and blower and between the blower and the throttle body. Should be interesting.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:44 PM

I have my ypipe wrapped and it works well, not that i know the difference between that and not wrapped. It also makes it better when working under the car after it has been running. Less burns from hot a$$ ypipe.