General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

As a Maxima owner (and Police Officer), the disrespect to police on the .org is sad..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 02:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As a Maxima owner (and Police Officer), the disrespect to police on the .org is sad..

I tried to reply to a thread about getting tickets. This was a post in ignorance that I wanted to reply to. I hope moderators will allow this post to remain for others to see. There are issues that need to be discussed.

Originally posted by DAREN
ya know what really sucks about getting a ticket. the cop that is giving you the ticket may not want to cut you a break. but if his *** gets stopped he'll try to ask the cop for some "proffesional courtesey." and if the ticket actually goes to court he'll try the same **** with the prosecutor or judge. bull****, using their position to get them off the hook, when in truth i think they should held at a higher accountability because of their positon.

example: in CT the state rep for torrington gets busted for DUI. he sets up a meeting with the judge to try and get off. the **** was all over the news, he had a press conference for a DUI stop wtf?

if this happened to john doe it would have been a closed case. 1 yr suspension and 10 years on your drivers history, dont forget the sr22 insurance.

hey its just MY opnion.
You can have your opinion, but your opinion may not be based on reality. Are you a Police Officer? Is your wife an officer? Your dad? Your best friend? Or do you glean your law-enforcement "knowledge" from television or urban legend?

Here is the truth. I usually won't write a ticket to anyone travelling under around 11mph over the limit. Usually. Most other police officers have their own "buffer" as well. The reason for this is two fold: first, I spend less time in court over small speeding tickets. Second, I find myself doing 5-10 over on a regular basis.

The next nugget you should understand is that "professional courtesy" is largely a myth. Within the same department it may happen, but rest assured that if a lower level officer is pulled over by a higher level officer, they get grief for it. If it is an egregious offense, they will get a formal reprimand and possibly dismissal. Have you ever risked losing your job 20mph over? Not likely. If I was pulled over in any other jurisdiction in my area for speeding, "showing my badge" and asking for "professional courtesy" would surely get me a ticket. I could also be reported to my superiors, and STILL recieve the afore-mentioned reprimand.

Third, Police Officers aren't politicians (for the most part), and don't act like it. Two officers on my department were in a minor fender bender off duty. They had allegedly been drinking, and sent the other motorist on his merry way. Superiors found out about it and they were both fired immediately. Both of them. Not just the officer driving. They sued for reinstatement and lost.

Your post shows a tremendous amount of immaturity, and also shows that your reality is largely based on false assumptions.

BTW, the average police officer in this country is becoming more and more intelligent and educated. 85% of those on my department have bachelor's degrees. About 30% have master's degrees. I have a Bachelor's in Spanish, a Bachelor's in Political Science (pre-law minor), and a Master's of Accounting. Oh, I am a CPA as well. And I am not alone. Many large departments are requiring at least a 4 year degree. Most also require a Master's for leadership positions.

And I like Maximas! I am getting tired of the complete and total ignorance expressed by many on this board. It is interesting to me to see how attitudes are affected by level of education and propensity to become educated.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:16 PM
I'm needing a caw

Good post. The spelling in the quote doesn't help him either
Old 11-14-2002, 02:17 PM

Its your job and some people will never understand. It's a shame.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:20 PM

Re: As a Maxima owner (and Police Officer), the disrespect to police on the .org is sad..

Originally posted by fst96se
BTW, the average police officer in this country is becoming more and more intelligent and educated. 85% of those on my department have bachelor's degrees. About 30% have master's degrees. I have a Bachelor's in Spanish, a Bachelor's in Political Science (pre-law minor), and a Master's of Accounting. Oh, I am a CPA as well. And I am not alone. Many large departments are requiring at least a 4 year degree. Most also require a Master's for leadership positions.
My brother is intrested in law enforcement, we have a few uncles who do it. One as a State cop and the other in my city. The uncle who is a trooper told him definantly go to college first get your degree because it is becoming harder to get in without one and it helps his chances in going further faster.

He is only 13 so he still has a long way off but now he says he is more motivated for college etc.

SuDZ
Old 11-14-2002, 02:24 PM
I need a truck

i'm totally on your side.

but let me ask you a question. Do you run red light for absolutly no reason whatsoever? if so, whats the point?
Old 11-14-2002, 02:24 PM

I totally understand where you come from but just like anything else in life, a few bad apples can ruin the whole bunch. A couple of months ago, I got pulled over by a KY State Trooper because I had red/clear tail lights and he said those were illegal. I politely explained to him that there are many cars that come with OEM clear tails. Refusing to believe me, he gave me a ticket, breatherlizer(I was absolutley SOBER), and asked me a lot of questions that were VERY unprofessional. My parents are from the Middle East and thus I have a foreign last name. He asked me where I was born, what I was doing in this country, what my religon was, whether or not I had a job, and I better be careful when talking to a state trooper. To make a long story short, most cops like yourself are great people and I respect them for putting their lives on the line everyday for my safety. However, just like some Max owners on the org give all of us a bad name, some cops out there give you guys a bad rep also.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:34 PM

In the .org's defence many of the mods on here have tried to slow down the anti police stuff. I mean just earlier jeff locked out a thread about a 350Z outrunning troppers and local cops. There have been other times that a similiar discussion gets out of hand and Clee has taken it upon himself to lock it.

I know it happens but they do try to control it.

SuDZ
Old 11-14-2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Conrad283
i'm totally on your side.

but let me ask you a question. Do you run red light for absolutly no reason whatsoever? if so, whats the point?
I see this TOO much down here in Miami, flick the lights, run the light and then turn it off and slow to normal speeds 500 feet pass the light. THen you go ahead and stop at the next light
Old 11-14-2002, 02:45 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

everyone hates the police when they get tickets because they don't want to blame themselves.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:49 PM

Amen to cops..... 100% truthful statment. No disrespect needed on cops. If so, we should warn the freagen org members.

Dixit
Old 11-14-2002, 02:51 PM

think im gonna become a cop so its easier to serve the community
Old 11-14-2002, 02:51 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally posted by heems27
I totally understand where you come from but just like anything else in life, a few bad apples can ruin the whole bunch. A couple of months ago, I got pulled over by a KY State Trooper because I had red/clear tail lights and he said those were illegal. I politely explained to him that there are many cars that come with OEM clear tails. Refusing to believe me, he gave me a ticket, breatherlizer(I was absolutley SOBER), and asked me a lot of questions that were VERY unprofessional. My parents are from the Middle East and thus I have a foreign last name. He asked me where I was born, what I was doing in this country, what my religon was, whether or not I had a job, and I better be careful when talking to a state trooper. To make a long story short, most cops like yourself are great people and I respect them for putting their lives on the line everyday for my safety. However, just like some Max owners on the org give all of us a bad name, some cops out there give you guys a bad rep also.
Very Well put!! A few Years ago me and some friends pulled out of the apartment complex where we live and were pulled over, thrown on the ground handcuffed and arrested for no reason. While in the back of the police car we overheard the officers trying to figure out what they were arresting us for. After sitting in jail overnight, we were arraigned and finally told that we were being charged for three counts of concealed deadly weapons. Ooops, my friend had 3 toy bb guns in the car that he paid 9.00 a piece for at kmart. First of all there was no reason for us to be stopped, since all we did was pull out of the garage and second of all the charge was bogus. To make a long story short, the day before we were to go to court, The police dropped all of the charges saying oops we thought you were someone else. So, If you ask me today, I HATE GREENBELT MD POLICE!!! So, yes, those few bad apples have ruined it for the rest of that department as far as i'm concerned. However, I have alot of family in law enforcement and therefore understand that not all police are Bad. The bad few tend to put people on the defensive when it comes to the police.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

I'll echo the sentiment of many .orgers, I'm a minority, drives a red Lexus and the Maxima- and lately I've been getting pulled over on average twice a week over here in SoCal

I respect your work, and I am grateful to your service to the community, but always being the one getting pulled over (I dont speed, I signal ALL the time, and I obey basically every traffic rule out there) it doesnt take a genius to figure out why I get pulled over- and it sucks, but I cant blame law enforcement, even though they have the power to ruin my day, my week and my month- the US is a racist country, and its a shame to have a few racist cops out there to screw up everything for me.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:18 PM

a different perspective

Growing up in Brooklyn, it is hard to be respectful of police, but I do based upon two things:
1. I wouldn't want to do it (37000 officers for a city of over 10 million?!)
2. They are truly on the front line of keeping our freedom.

Furthermore, fst96se, lemme offer you this tidbit. Being in healthcare, I am expected to be always right. Much like police work, you very rarely are thanked for the 10 things you do right, and are criticized for the one mistake. So if it feels that there is a general disrespect on the org, i would have to say it is disrespect only to "bad cops", not to those who do their job correctly. I think the rest of these posts in this thread illustrate that pretty well, as they are all exceptions, not the norm.

B
Old 11-14-2002, 04:26 PM

its also funny how people think they can get out of a ticket by being a wiseass or trying to deny something that they know they did... some think they can just show a pba card and the officer has to let them out LOL.. those people deserve tickets

most cops will let you go if you know how to talk... i have a mini shield with my cousins badge # on it, and thats better than just a pba card.. but that doesnt mean im not gonna get a ticket.. if youre respectful, theres a much better chance they will let you go with a warning.. oh and dont say, "gee officer, the last one that pulled me over gave me a warning too!"
Old 11-14-2002, 04:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There is a degree of resentment towards law enforcement. Some of it is justified, most is not. There are police officers who abuse their power and others who are doing the best job they can.I think most of the people who are absurdly disrespectful are idiots hiding behind a keyboard who wouldn't say a peep if they had to confront the issue face-to-face.

I feel that most Americans are in general treating each other with less respect as time goes on. I don't know if this is the result of our society being under more stress or not. The basic axiom of "treat people the way you want to be treated" is like a myth now.

I used to referee youth ball and high school lacrosse. I did if for 7 years and it kept good money in my pocket during and after college. The last season I refereed I had to call the police three times to remove people from the field of play. Two of those times were because of physical threats to myself and the other was because the coaches of the opposing teams got into a fight. Every year it seemed like it got a little bit worse.

The majority of people who assume postions of authority, whether it be law enforcement, moderators, referees, ect... do it becuase they want to help the community they are apart of.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:49 PM

Re: As a Maxima owner (and Police Officer), the disrespect to police on the .org is sad..

I have a Bachelor's in Spanish, a Bachelor's in Political Science (pre-law minor), and a Master's of Accounting. Oh, I am a CPA as well.
[b]If you don't mind me asking[b], why did you decide to become a police officer when you have so much educational background?

You can earn A LOT more money as a CPA than as a police officer and you're life won't be in danger on a daily basis.

Not trying to be rude, I'm just curious because I almost have my BBA in Accounting, will be working for a public firm in September, and will be sitting for the exam in November. I know what it takes to become a CPA, and it's weird that you would do something else with your life after becoming one.

Old 11-14-2002, 04:59 PM

[i]

And I like Maximas! I am getting tired of the complete and total ignorance expressed by many on this board. It is interesting to me to see how attitudes are affected by level of education and propensity to become educated. [/B]
I was curious to see this thread because I do feel at times there are ignorant posts when it comes to cops. However, I don't feel that this one was too out-of-line, it seemed to be expressing frustration over some public figure's trying to get out of an alcohol-related stop. I agree there is some myth to it, because look at what happened in NYC when borough commanders found out about an incident--there were BK cops drinking in the parking lot and going to a strip club that that precinct was forbidden on going to. But those cops are largely the exception.

The reason I have respect for cops is that except for once, I have never been treated poorly by any cops. I have been let go a couple of times and the other times I had run-ins with cops they were all cool and helpful.

In your particular case I think your dept. could use you elsewhere besides on patrol. Especially with the cpa you would probably be qualified as an FBI Special Agent.

So again, there is disrespect sometimes towards cops on this forum, but imho in the referenced thread the person seemed to be frustrated over the public figure's trying to get outta what he did....

Old 11-14-2002, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: As a Maxima owner (and Police Officer), the disrespect to police on the .org is sad..

To the original poster: I do respect cops in general...but as always, there are some "exceptions" in that regard.

I was stopped recently in Wayne County for blowing by two stop signs with my rental car. When the policeman stopped me, I don't know what he was talking about. Then, I backtracked my trail and saw the stop signs. Here is the thing that annoys me: I did stop at these two stop signs, but I did not do a COMPLETE STOP. It's more like a rolling stop...which I did. At that point, I was ****ed since I have to pay the fine and had to schedule a court data (I live in Wisconsin).

Before this though, I got more than 12 points on my license (speeding, 1998) and my license was suspended for 3 months and I was required to pay for SR-22. I reinstated my license in 2001 and always drive carefully. So, you know that I am not really happy when I got pulled over when I was in Wayne County.

In addition, I have seen cops here in Wisconsin who did the other poster said. They turned on their lights, went past the traffic lights and turned it off afterwards.

Whenever I see those lights turned on, I want to give priority of the roads to them. Ambulances/Firetrucks/etc....so I am not really happy when the lights were being used just to go past traffic lights.

Having said all these though, I still respects the cops. Unfortunately, I can not do the same thing where I come from....since everybody is corrupt over there (NOT in USA) and money really gives you the "leeway".
Old 11-14-2002, 06:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: As a Maxima owner (and Police Officer), the disrespect to police on the .org is sad..

Originally posted by ardika
To the original poster: I do respect cops in general...but as always, there are some "exceptions" in that regard.

I was stopped recently in Wayne County for blowing by two stop signs with my rental car. When the policeman stopped me, I don't know what he was talking about. Then, I backtracked my trail and saw the stop signs. Here is the thing that annoys me: I did stop at these two stop signs, but I did not do a COMPLETE STOP. It's more like a rolling stop...which I did. At that point, I was ****ed since I have to pay the fine and had to schedule a court data (I live in Wisconsin).
I've received a ticket for doing the exact same thing (known as a california roll). While I'll admit that I was also very upset about the ticket, the point is that the police officer is doing his/her job by pulling you over. It shouldn't be much of a choice for them...if they see someone clearly doing something illegal, they should pull them over. Back to the original post, I think that a lot of the resentment towards police officers is very justified. It is clear that in this country, racial profiling and police brutality are two very real problems that many people face. On the other hand, it is also clear that these problems are only caused by a few bad cops and I have a great amount of respect for anyone who is willing to risk his or her life to help ensure the safety of others.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:09 PM

I hate cops. I have my reasons and I am entitled to my opinion.

(I didn't say I hate ALL cops though {I just haven't met any nice ones yet})

Erik
Old 11-14-2002, 06:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: As a Maxima owner (and Police Officer), the disrespect to police on the .org is sad.

That's true. BTW, I got pulled over at the Detroit Metro Airport...where the traffic is pretty busy.

Imagine my surprise when I come to the court, and basically everybody was stopped for doing 1-5mph violation and impeding traffic.

I did not get any points....and I was not ****ed as bad as when he pulled me over. When I asked him to show the stop signs, he just waved and told me to be on my way (after I received the ticket).

Oh well.......There are some cool cops that I like (like the one that stopped me for doing 96 on 65mph, my first violation), although I am never happy with the ticket.

Originally posted by A-Ron Max

I've received a ticket for doing the exact same thing (known as a california roll). While I'll admit that I was also very upset about the ticket, the point is that the police officer is doing his/her job by pulling you over. It shouldn't be much of a choice for them...
Old 11-14-2002, 07:17 PM
Shiver me timbers.

Please don't try to tell us there is no such thing as professional courtesy. My cousin is a police officer in Brooklyn and he has never received a ticket. (not in any state) He speeds everywhere he goes and has been pulled over many times, but has never received a ticket. It does exist. Just my .02.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:04 PM

As one of the older members here (41) I too see alot of dis-respect for officers on this board. I think alot has to do with the age of these people. How can you get mad at a cop (who is doing his job) for pulling you over for speeding or for a stop sign violation. The speed limit is posted and when you go over it you risk a ticket...when you roll through a stop sign (not a slow sign) you deserve it.
I have a great respect for police as I have a few friends on my local force, and I know some of what they have to deal with. Like stated before don't try to tell me there is no professional courtesy given...Tell me your going to give a fellow officer a ticket for going 10-15 over the limit. You think I have the same odds for a slap on the wrist?? Its done, maybe not all the time but its there. SO WHAT!!
I have never had a problem with any officer but there are a few cops out there that get a little carried away with the power. I also understand that everyone has a bad day sometimes. Oh well.
Maybe when a cop saves one of these haters lives they will change thier tune.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:16 PM

Well, I always hate that disco lights going over my rear view mirrors and people around me staring like I just commit a seriour crime or something (of people who drive by with a face that says: Ha-HA!)

...While we are on topic.... what is the policy of the left laners, though? Is that true if somebody is driving at 50mph (at 65mph) on the left lane, nothing can be done about it?

I mean, what's the justification for ticketing those people? The same thing goes when the guy just brakes out of nothing?(since we are all tailgating him/her?)

Can we call 911 and report the license plate or something? But then it would be a mess if everybody starts calling the cops just by giving the license plates.....

Originally posted by KL99SEA
How can you get mad at a cop (who is doing his job) for pulling you over for speeding or for a stop sign violation...(trimmed)...when you roll through a stop sign (not a slow sign) you deserve it.
(trimmed)
Old 11-14-2002, 08:17 PM
pjalst

Originally posted by KL99SEA
As one of the older members here (41) I too see alot of dis-respect for officers on this board. I think alot has to do with the age of these people. How can you get mad at a cop (who is doing his job) for pulling you over for speeding or for a stop sign violation. The speed limit is posted and when you go over it you risk a ticket...when you roll through a stop sign (not a slow sign) you deserve it.
I have a great respect for police as I have a few friends on my local force, and I know some of what they have to deal with. Like stated before don't try to tell me there is no professional courtesy given...Tell me your going to give a fellow officer a ticket for going 10-15 over the limit. You think I have the same odds for a slap on the wrist?? Its done, maybe not all the time but its there. SO WHAT!!
I have never had a problem with any officer but there are a few cops out there that get a little carried away with the power. I also understand that everyone has a bad day sometimes. Oh well.

I agree, If some kids would roll down their window and and say "yes sir"(something their parents should have taught them), instead of "what you stopping me for?", the traffic stop would start off on a good note.

Old 11-14-2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by heems27
Well put, bravo. I must say.

My 2 cents
Old 11-14-2002, 08:52 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Shawn, I respect your profession, and understand how it can be frustrating when people make blanket statements about police. I have had more than my fair share when it comes to dealing with the police. When it comes down to it, I was in the wrong and have no one to blame but my self.
I read a lot of "One time this cop...." and "it was so unfair...." in this thread. Life is not fair. Sometimes we get screwed, suck it up and go on with life.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:57 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I tried to reply to a thread about getting tickets. This was a post in ignorance that I wanted to reply to. I hope moderators will allow this post to remain for others to see. There are issues that need to be discussed.

You can have your opinion, but your opinion may not be based on reality. Are you a Police Officer? Is your wife an officer? Your dad? Your best friend? Or do you glean your law-enforcement "knowledge" from television or urban legend?

Here is the truth. I usually won't write a ticket to anyone travelling under around 11mph over the limit. Usually. Most other police officers have their own "buffer" as well. The reason for this is two fold: first, I spend less time in court over small speeding tickets. Second, I find myself doing 5-10 over on a regular basis.

The next nugget you should understand is that "professional courtesy" is largely a myth. Within the same department it may happen, but rest assured that if a lower level officer is pulled over by a higher level officer, they get grief for it. If it is an egregious offense, they will get a formal reprimand and possibly dismissal. Have you ever risked losing your job 20mph over? Not likely. If I was pulled over in any other jurisdiction in my area for speeding, "showing my badge" and asking for "professional courtesy" would surely get me a ticket. I could also be reported to my superiors, and STILL recieve the afore-mentioned reprimand.

Third, Police Officers aren't politicians (for the most part), and don't act like it. Two officers on my department were in a minor fender bender off duty. They had allegedly been drinking, and sent the other motorist on his merry way. Superiors found out about it and they were both fired immediately. Both of them. Not just the officer driving. They sued for reinstatement and lost.

Your post shows a tremendous amount of immaturity, and also shows that your reality is largely based on false assumptions.

And I like Maximas! I am getting tired of the complete and total ignorance expressed by many on this board. It is interesting to me to see how attitudes are affected by level of education and propensity to become educated.
hey he is a cop and hes got a radar dector hard wired
Old 11-14-2002, 09:05 PM

my favorite are the posts on the org that are "i got a ticket for my windshield washer lights, the cop was a ****!!"

TAKE THE F*CKING THINGS OFF!!!!

My car is a cop-magnet, big wheels, loud, etc.. etc..

But when I get pulled over for the sole reason that my car is flashy, it makes me wonder what drunk driver, or psychopath has just passed while i sit in my car while the cop checks my record..

I think there are good cops and there are bad cops, and there are cops that are looking to mess with people and to give tickets because they feel like it... if that is an untrue statement please set me straight. But you seem like a very intelligent person and I think it's messed up that people be-little police officers because they are just doing their job (when doing it well).

Lastly, I won't hit the bags in front of another police officer, learned that one the fun way
Old 11-14-2002, 09:45 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: Re: As a Maxima owner (and Police Officer), the disrespect to police on the .org is sad.

Originally posted by A-Ron Max

I've received a ticket for doing the exact same thing (known as a california roll). While I'll admit that I was also very upset about the ticket, the point is that the police officer is doing his/her job by pulling you over. It shouldn't be much of a choice for them...if they see someone clearly doing something illegal, they should pull them over. Back to the original post, I think that a lot of the resentment towards police officers is very justified. It is clear that in this country, racial profiling and police brutality are two very real problems that many people face. On the other hand, it is also clear that these problems are only caused by a few bad cops and I have a great amount of respect for anyone who is willing to risk his or her life to help ensure the safety of others.
actually, it's called the "california stop"
Old 11-14-2002, 09:51 PM

Cops are people: there are good and bad ones. Hating all cops makes you about as stupid as someone who hates all Jews, black people, ice cream salesmen, or waiters.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
Cops are people: there are good and bad ones. Hating all cops makes you about as stupid as someone who hates all Jews, black people, ice cream salesmen, or waiters.
just for the record ALL ICE CREAM SALESMEN ARE A$$HOLES!!!.. period, end of story.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:13 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by thebigsadler

just for the record ALL ICE CREAM SALESMEN ARE A$$HOLES!!!.. period, end of story.
lol wait wait wait...

ice cream salesmen?? You mean the ice-cream man?! he's cooL! I always use to buy my fudgescicle from him, always had that cool (but annoying now) jingle as he drove by.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: As a Maxima owner (and Police Officer), the disrespect to police on the .org is

LOL! I miss that one.....
I love sushi BTW....

Originally posted by nadir_s

actually, it's called the "california stop"
Old 11-14-2002, 10:33 PM

I get pulled over at least twice a month. Not for speading or anything else but for dumb ****. The cops ask me why don't I have any emblems on my car and you shouldn't have an exhaust on a car. Its for off road use only. There are good cops and bad cops but I havn't met any good cops. They just want to bust your ***** so they could make their quota for handing out tickets. They also drive reckless that is why insurance rates are higher for police drivers than the average individual. While murderers and gang bangers are on the streets cops have nothing else better to do than to pull someone over for equipment violation.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by krazydutch44
I get pulled over at least twice a month. Not for speading or anything else but for dumb ****. The cops ask me why don't I have any emblems on my car and you shouldn't have an exhaust on a car. Its for off road use only. There are good cops and bad cops but I havn't met any good cops. They just want to bust your ***** so they could make their quota for handing out tickets. They also drive reckless that is why insurance rates are higher for police drivers than the average individual. While murderers and gang bangers are on the streets cops have nothing else better to do than to pull someone over for equipment violation.
First, I just want to say that this has been one of the most thoughtfully argued threads that I've ever read on the .org. Everyone is making valid points. As another member who also happens to be an officer, I'd just like to add my .02.

First, to talk about a couple of these myths... the "quota": my department, as well as most like it, have ABSOLUTELY no quota. Look around yourself on the highways. It's all too easy to write tickets to some of the fools on the road. While there is no quota, there is an expectation that you will write some tickets once in a while. If you never write tickets, you aren't doing your job.

Secondly, professional courtesy... it does exist... to a point. Yeah, if I do a "California stop" and get pulled over, odds are, the other cop isn't going to give me a ticket. However, as stated before, if I was to get pulled over for doing 100 in a 70, or for a DUI, my $hit would be in the wind, and my career over! So, yes, there is an amount of respect between officers, but at the same time, part of that is because MOST officers aren't out there driving like idiots to begin with.

Next, in response to this particular post... do you know how most wanted people ("murderers and gang-bangers", in your post) are caught? Not in "TV-like" shootouts with cops, and not by some highly decorated detective who gets a lead that takes him to the Bahamas in search of the perp. It's usually a simple traffic stop involving a young man or woman who, initially, has no idea that the person is wanted. That traffic stop could be initiated by anything from loud music, to speeding, to dark tint, etc... You see, every traffic stop, no matter how minor, is a chance for an officer to learn a new face and a new name, and that information can be invaluable in the future. It doesn't take more than a couple of traffic stops for "stupid $hit", for your car and your face to become well known around the precint.

Finally... MOST cops don't "like" writing tickets. Tickets are what make you have to come to work on your day off for court. Tickets are more paperwork that you have to fill out completely and correctly, or risk the wrath of your supervisor. Tickets are the petty things that keep us from responding to more "exciting" calls, where most of us would rather be anyway. But at the same time, the CHANCE that you may receive a ticket, is also the reason that more people don't drive like absolute fools. Yes, tickets are expensive, and they are a pain in the a$$ for us as well as for you, but they keep the roads safer, which is really what it's all about.

We're not all d!cks. I'm sorry that some of us are, but that's just the way society is put together. A$$hole cops make good cops' jobs harder. Be safe, be couteous, be professional, and be respectful, and odds are, you won't have a problem with any officer.

Sorry so long, but I wanted to say a few things here. Thanks for your patience.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:00 AM
Former Sponsor

problem is, I only get pulled over by ******** cops- because I drive like a granny

I got a speeding ticket last year for doing 75 in a 65 in the middle of nowhere (sucked but yea I was speeding)

now... as a matter of fact I got pulled over again this afternoon just as I left my house in my other car. I got pulled over yesterday coming home from LA, cop sees me busts a U, pulls up right next to me, stops... looks at me... and waits for me to go, then pulls me over, for nothing
3 out of the 5 times I've been pulled over in the last month or so of driving, the officer hassled me about how much I payed for the car, what I do for a living, and other questions that kind of get on my nerves.
the thing that sucks, is that I really respect the work of the police, for the most part you guys are great, but I always seem to come upon the rotten ones.

I have friends who have been beaten by cops (remember this is LA haha its NORMAL)
I also have friends who after being pulled over have nice conversations, takling about cars bikes and the like, and get off with nothing

I cant fault the majority of you, but its just those few that make it hard to feel at ease when I see a police cruiser
Old 11-15-2002, 12:11 AM

a cop definitely pulled me over and told me all about his son's integra and wanted to know good places to get stereo and stuff.. it was pretty funny.

some are cool.. and some just plain suck.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
3 out of the 5 times I've been pulled over in the last month or so of driving, the officer hassled me about how much I payed for the car, what I do for a living, and other questions that kind of get on my nerves.
how do you get pulled over so often???

in 4 1/2 years of driving ive been pulled over twice. Once he said i was speeding when i really wasnt (i was going faster than the car next to me and they were doing less than the speed limit) and the 2nd time he pulled me over for blue turn signals.. both times i got out though.. the first one he saw the shield i have and asked me who i knew, then let me off.. the 2nd time the officer just told me to change the bulbs and if he saw me again i would get a ticket.

im not bragging, but i dont do 55 on the highway, i do 70-80 but im cautious.. i dont put anyone else in danger. i dont drive like a moron, and im very alert as to what is going on around me, including seeing if there are any police cars around me.. i guess what im doing is right if i havent got into any accidents or had any tickets

the funny thing is when someone says the accident wasnt their fault, which it wasnt... but if they were a better driver they could have avoided it lol

Quick Reply: As a Maxima owner (and Police Officer), the disrespect to police on the .org is sad..