General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Would the panel filter be restrictive with an open stock air box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 02:27 PM
Handsome

Would the panel filter be restrictive with an open stock air box?

I want the best of both worlds when it comes to an intake. That would be minimal piping like a pop or hybrid, that gets cool air like the PRCAI, and Cattman.

My idea is to cut a large hole in the bottom of the stock air box through the fender. This would allow the intake to draw in cool air without having to run piping to the fender well. I figured a short ram intake (I have already made the midpipe to replace the resinator) with a mouth the size of a panel filter would be plenty to feed the 3inch pipe.

If not I could always cut away the bottom of the stock air box and fender, then attach somthing like an Apexi filter to the feed inside the stock box. This again would be the piping length of a frankencar, the air of a CAI, and all for the cost of fabricating a midpipe (which is easy and costs about 20.00, let me know if you want instructions) and if I need it, a new filter.

So my question is, even with the huge size of the panel filter (and a large source of air, the hole) when compared to the 3inch pipe it will feed, do you think that an aftermarket filter would be necessary?
Old 11-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

The main advantage of "K&N type" panel filters is re-usability...not increased performance.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:53 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by mzmtg
The main advantage of "K&N type" panel filters is re-usability...not increased performance.
My panel filter is a K&N, someone on another post said that the surface area of the filter was not sufficient even if the stock air box was opened up, I disagreed. I wasn't talking about the type of filter, I was talking about the size and available surface area that filter had to draw in air and whether the panel filter would supply enough, or if I needed to get an aftermarket round filter, which people on another site said had more surface area.

I personally think that the panel filter has enough surface area to happily feed the three inch pipe to the throttle body, I was wanting others opinions. But like I said, it would be easy to use somthing like a new Apex filter and keep the pipe length the same as the hybrids who's filter sits in the engine bay, while at the same time isolating the filter from the engine bay and heat, and giving it a fresh source of air like the PRCAI.

Do you think this would be the best intake so far?

Popchargers and Hybrids - have little piping, but get hot air

CAI - have more restrictive piping, but get cool air

My idea (SR Intake) - has little piping, and gets cool air