General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Fiberglass Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 08:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Fiberglass Bumpers

Hey everyone... just wanted to post my thoughts on the "skyline" body kit that maxximum tuning/initial d/custommaxima (whoever is taking credit for this kit these days) is selling. I've had it on for a few weeks and have given it some nice hits and it has been very strong. no cracks or anything near a crack. Everyone always posts about how horrible quality fiberglass bumpers are etc.. and i've heard some horror stories about sarona but this kit gets a thumbs up so far. I believe you will have to seriously thrash the kit to crack it.

also - I stole goldenglory's philips 8000k hid kit and installed it this evening. OMG - HID is soooooo the way to go. My girl was literally going bananas over them (doesn't take much these days).
Old 11-09-2002, 10:08 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Chris...what did the body shop do to fit your bumper on? What were the fitment issues you had?
Old 11-10-2002, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Chris...what did the body shop do to fit your bumper on? What were the fitment issues you had?
the original shop i had the car repainted at installed the ionic sides and rears but said they could not install the type s because it "didn't fit. not even close...and i should return it". i called initial d who said the shop was just being lazy and that i should bring it down. sure enough, they installed it.

it is not however a perfect fit. it does not line up perfectly at the fenders. that is the only fitment issue. maybe it's because my car is black but you cannot notice it at all unless you're up close and looking for it - so i'm happy. besides, i bought a $300 fiberglass bumper - not a $900 one from veilside. i'll take a fitment issue here and there. overall i'm very pleased =)

tony - if you want i can try to take some closeups of the fenders but i don't know if it will come out with my camera.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:23 PM

Re: Fiberglass Bumpers

Originally posted by CKNY
Hey everyone... just wanted to post my thoughts on the "skyline" body kit that maxximum tuning/initial d/custommaxima (whoever is taking credit for this kit these days) is selling. I've had it on for a few weeks and have given it some nice hits and it has been very strong. no cracks or anything near a crack. Everyone always posts about how horrible quality fiberglass bumpers are etc.. and i've heard some horror stories about sarona but this kit gets a thumbs up so far. I believe you will have to seriously thrash the kit to crack it.

also - I stole goldenglory's philips 8000k hid kit and installed it this evening. OMG - HID is soooooo the way to go. My girl was literally going bananas over them (doesn't take much these days).
is your max lowered? if not do u have any problems with clearance now that you got the kit? how much clearance is left after the front bumper is put on?
Old 11-13-2002, 06:45 PM

I work in a boatshop and I can assure you that when done correctly fiber glass is extremly strong i cant see it breaking unless you hit something major and if it does break it is easily repaired
Old 11-14-2002, 10:30 AM

Re: Re: Fiberglass Bumpers

Originally posted by Rufus

is your max lowered? if not do u have any problems with clearance now that you got the kit? how much clearance is left after the front bumper is put on?
yes lowered 1.6" with b and g springs. so far i have only met 1 speedbump i couldn't hit head on.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:36 PM
GoldenGlory

also - I stole goldenglory's philips 8000k hid kit and installed it this evening. OMG - HID is soooooo the way to go. My girl was literally going bananas over them (doesn't take much these days). [/B][/QUOTE]

i guess we r even ...

i luv riding on ur 18's ...

Old 11-14-2002, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by CKNY

i see you have the skyline body kit, i can't get your homepage to work, you have any pics? Thanks