General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Check out this thread from the Honda board....!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2000, 02:24 PM

What do u think???

http://pub24.ezboard.com/fsuperhonda...picID=45.topic
Old 12-28-2000, 02:28 PM

LS1

I get a kick out of the guy that said a Camaro LS1 runs 12.8's right from the factory. He must be smoking crack.
Old 12-28-2000, 02:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hmmm...interesting
Old 12-28-2000, 02:58 PM

HEH HEH HEH

they are afraid of us....very afraid....
Old 12-28-2000, 03:08 PM

We are finally makin an impact on them Hon-Duh boyz. I highly doubt a stock LS1 will be in 12.7-12.8 sec in the 1320. My friend has a 99 Camaro SS that runs 13.5-13.2 stock. Remember, a SS is faster and more power then the Z28. You give any car drag tires, they can run a lot faster but who here actually uses slicks on the street? Get real.
Old 12-28-2000, 04:48 PM
Got Bent?

Cool thread....I wonder whose Max it was....anyone here?
Old 12-28-2000, 04:58 PM
Disco Biscuit

If only we were RWD

Gawd I dont need boost, I need traction!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2000, 06:02 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

very very interesting...i wonder if any will come over here and get educated now that someone from here has posted there...
Old 12-28-2000, 06:19 PM

"Put bigger tires on and some exhaust mods and we're talking mid to low 12's."

Wow is that The honda enthusiasts answer to everything. I hear kids in my school say "Oh yeah, well when I get my new dual tenzo 3" exhaust tips with a resonated muffler my car will kick your ***." I don't know where this logic comes from but you need engine mods to back up that exhaust. There are 300+ HP cars that run 2" exhausts. I guess I'll never understand some people.
Old 12-28-2000, 06:35 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

i was gonna emphasize "someone" but for some reason i decided not too..
Old 12-29-2000, 06:17 AM

never under estimate the power of maxima!!

its power might surprise many other cars.
Old 12-29-2000, 06:36 AM

Re: LS1

Originally posted by CFster
I get a kick out of the guy that said a Camaro LS1 runs 12.8's right from the factory.
Actually, Ive seen a few of them do this. Its not all that uncommon particularly in the SS models with good traction and good air.
Old 12-29-2000, 06:40 AM

Re: never under estimate the power of maxima!!

Originally posted by Nightkidz
its power might surprise many other cars.
Ive raced quite a few Camaros (both LT1 and LS1 cars) and gotten a thorough waxing each and every time. Thats why I like to race Mustangs
Old 12-29-2000, 06:52 AM
i SeE what you did therE

the only cars i get to race seem to be beemers... and it is usually too congested on the highway to do any real racing...

jeff
Old 12-29-2000, 07:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I like to race Geo Metros j/k
Old 12-29-2000, 07:36 AM

Yeah! Those Hon-duh boys should be afraid of us. I know a few kids that live around me think that because their civics have huge mufflers, strut bar, and last but not least... STICKERS they can kick my ***!!! LOL
Old 12-29-2000, 09:33 AM

Dunno. Would have to see the Max. Camaro isn't a slow car.

Although...

If the Max had a 40 shot of nos and knows how to drive. and the camaro driver doesn't know how to launch.. It's a very possible roadkill.. I just hope the guy in the Max doesn't think he can beat every camaro he comes up against.

40 shot of nos is all it takes for a max to run mid to low 14's with a decent driver, right?
Old 12-29-2000, 10:09 AM

Exactly. And this was a convertible Camaro also. Those are quite a bit slower than a normal Z28.

The guy keeps pulling 12.8 out of his ***. Sure a non-convertible Camaro with slicks and a good driver AT the track can run that.. So what? That doesn't mean every damn Z28 on the road instantly runs 12.8.. It takes a damn good driver and slicks. Even then it's not going to happen in the convertible Camaro.

So with your average person driving a convertible Z28.. They probably run low 14's at best (Seeing as though most people who buy Mustangs and Camaros aren't really car enthusiast who want to mod their car and race. They are just people who buy the cars because of the sporty image it gives them.. I see atleast 10 girls to 1 guy driving Mustangs here. Usually they aren't even GT's. And they always seem to drive 5mph below the speed limit)

40 Shot of NOS on an Auto Maxima is all it would have taken to beat this car.

Originally posted by doug
the auto max runs 14.0 with 40 shot!!!

Originally posted by PeelBoy

Although...

If the Max had a 40 shot of nos and knows how to drive. and the camaro driver doesn't know how to launch.. It's a very possible roadkill.. I just hope the guy in the Max doesn't think he can beat every camaro he comes up against.

40 shot of nos is all it takes for a max to run mid to low 14's with a decent driver, right?
Old 12-29-2000, 12:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IS everyone forgetting that all the newer (95+) camaro convertibles are automatics, even the Z28 convertible's?
Old 12-29-2000, 08:34 PM

What?!

All 95+ camaros are automatics? Are you sure that's what you meant to say? There sure as hell are 6-speed f-bodies after 94...my Uncle has a 95 Firebird Formula V8 convertible 6-speed...

[Edited by kevm14 on 12-30-2000 at 12:44 AM]
Old 12-29-2000, 08:42 PM

About the transmission question in F-body cars, Motor Trend tested an auto Firebird Formula vs. a 6-spd. Result? Even with their drivers, the cars posted almost the exact same 1/4-mile times and the auto was actually faster to 60! Be careful...

And yes, there are 6-spds after 1995, they're just very hard to find. Only about 25-30% of the Z28s have the 6-spd gearbox.
Old 12-29-2000, 09:33 PM

He said camaro convertibles, not all Camaros after 95.

Camaros are fast, you will need more then the mods I got on my Max, plus NOS. Any Camaro after 98 will run mid 13's and that is if its stock. So the SC from stillen might not put you over the top if he has just a few hundred in mods or knows how to drive the 6spd.

What’s this about camaro owners not being car enthusiasts? That’s BS. There are many, and they make many potent mods for these cars. Not many people buy these cars and keep them stock for very long, unless its a very old man. Even then I've seen them moded at times! Anyone ever look at a Summit Racing Catalog? I’m also a Z28 owner, and know many fellow enthusiast. Its not just for the "import" crowd.
Old 12-30-2000, 10:01 AM

Tex.. Calm down man.

Think about this logically.

You're in the car scene..

Of course everybody you know mods and races their cars!!!

You're forgetting though.. We are but a small group of people when compared to the rest of the world.

MOST people who buy -any- car do not plan to mod or race it.. That includes Mustangs and Camaros!!!

Look around.. Every where you drive.. There are TONS of Mustangs and Camaros! Now..... How many of them have mods??!?! I see maybe 1 a week that actually has some hard core mods on it.. Usually all I see are V6 versions with some girl and her cell phone driving.... or a V8 with a guy who is driving 10mph below the speed limit.. These people obviously got the car because it is supposed to be fast and it looks cool, but they will probably never mod or race their car...

Chevy would go out of business if only REAL car enthusiast got their cars. (ok, maybe not? but they wouldn't be near as rich for sure!!)

Originally posted by TexMaximum
He said camaro convertibles, not all Camaros after 95.

Camaros are fast, you will need more then the mods I got on my Max, plus NOS. Any Camaro after 98 will run mid 13's and that is if its stock. So the SC from stillen might not put you over the top if he has just a few hundred in mods or knows how to drive the 6spd.

What’s this about camaro owners not being car enthusiasts? That’s BS. There are many, and they make many potent mods for these cars. Not many people buy these cars and keep them stock for very long, unless its a very old man. Even then I've seen them moded at times! Anyone ever look at a Summit Racing Catalog? I’m also a Z28 owner, and know many fellow enthusiast. Its not just for the "import" crowd.
Old 12-30-2000, 10:04 AM
RussMaxManiac

Actually a stock z28 convertible can do 13.8 in the 1/4 mile. The Maxima in auto form is gonna need more than just a 40 shot, at least a 80 shot to take that car.

Exactly. And this was a convertible Camaro also. Those are quite a bit slower than a normal Z28.

The guy keeps pulling 12.8 out of his ***. Sure a non-convertible Camaro with slicks and a good driver AT the track can run that.. So what? That doesn't mean every damn Z28 on the road instantly runs 12.8.. It takes a damn good driver and slicks. Even then it's not going to happen in the convertible Camaro.

So with your average person driving a convertible Z28.. They probably run low 14's at best (Seeing as though most people who buy Mustangs and Camaros aren't really car enthusiast who want to mod their car and race. They are just people who buy the cars because of the sporty image it gives them.. I see atleast 10 girls to 1 guy driving Mustangs here. Usually they aren't even GT's. And they always seem to drive 5mph below the speed limit)

Although...

Old 12-30-2000, 10:20 AM

Sure.. It CAN run 13.8...

With a good driver!!

When my ex-girlfriend first did her swap in her CRX.. She was running high 14's if I remember correctly..

After quite a few runs she lowered it down to low 14's and now she is running high 13's..

You think somebody who probably has never taken their car to a track is going to run high 13's their first time?

I'm just assuming this person doesn't go to the track..

I mean.. If the camaro had ANY mods.. he would have spanked that Max..... If he had ANY driving skill he would have beat the max by a bit... Obviously he didn't have either of those... So yes.. 40 shot of NOS proably would have won in this situation...

And like I said before and I will say it again.... I sure hope the guy doesn't think he can beat ALL camaro's now.. because he is full of it if he does think that.
Originally posted by Russ2kSE
Actually a stock z28 convertible can do 13.8 in the 1/4 mile. The Maxima in auto form is gonna need more than just a 40 shot, at least a 80 shot to take that car.

Although...

Old 12-30-2000, 12:05 PM

Re: If only we were RWD

Originally posted by Whitemax
Gawd I dont need boost, I need traction!!!!!!!!!
yes, it probably would be easier if it were rear wheel drive to accomplish those times. so it will be more impressive to accomplish those times with fwd. there is no other choice anyway. we just will aquire more skill. skillful, full of skill.