General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 07:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice Too late for me but nice.

DW

Originally posted by Sin

I found an awesome way of removing them. I use a nylon oil filter strap that is essentially a nylon strap with both ends secured to a square pipe that has a 1/2" inner diameter, to be used with a 1/2" drive ratchet or cheater bar. It took it off like it was nothing, and didn't leave a scratch on the shift ****.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Sin

I found an awesome way of removing them. I use a nylon oil filter strap that is essentially a nylon strap with both ends secured to a square pipe that has a 1/2" inner diameter, to be used with a 1/2" drive ratchet or cheater bar. It took it off like it was nothing, and didn't leave a scratch on the shift ****.
VERY good idea. We should make that a stickie.

BTW, I love my STS and I don't miss the stock shifter at all.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Sin

THANKS!!! I just removed my shift **** without damaging it. That alone was worth the $6 I spent on the nylon filter strap. Never mind the headaches and cussing it saved me. Now I just have to wait for my Magnum Pearl Voodoo **** to arrive! Thanks again Sin!
Old 12-06-2002, 02:07 PM
Sin

Originally posted by jpgayan

THANKS!!! I just removed my shift **** without damaging it. That alone was worth the $6 I spent on the nylon filter strap. Never mind the headaches and cussing it saved me. Now I just have to wait for my Magnum Pearl Voodoo **** to arrive! Thanks again Sin!
It's a wonderous thing when you have the right tool eh?
Old 12-07-2002, 12:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

Originally posted by Dave B
I love the overall feel of the Pacesetter STS. It's got that "rifle bolt" action and great upshift feel, but downshifting in 2nd and 3rd gear is not remotely close to what it was like with the stock shifter. It is nearly impossible for me to grab a quick downshift from 3-2 or 4-2 without appyling a good bit of force to the shifter. I constantly have to pull the shifter down and attempt to grab the downshift, if it resists, I back out, then try again. True rev-matching seems to help a little. I'm just surprised at the amount of resistance I've got my shifter seeing my shifter is set at 50%. The other Pacesetters I've shifted with feel the same way. BTW, I don't have a cat heatshield so that's not the problem.

I'm seriously considering putting my cut stock shifter back in so I can gain back quick downshifts. Quick upshifts are fun, but so are quick downshifts especially when coming up to quick turns. Anyone else feel the same way.

Dave
i don't miss the stock shifter a bit!
after i tried 'rowing' the stock shifter once again, i really really really really appreciate the short, precise and firm shifting of the STS.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I installed my new Voodoo Magnum Pearl shift **** a few days ago. So far I love it! The billet aluminum looks great with the black interior. The ball threads really deep onto the shifter which lowers the top of the shift **** about an inch. Surprisingly it gives the stock shifter a much more solid feel. Good job to Crazy Red Italian out of Florida for for getting me my new **** in less than a week. Cost me $43 with shipping. Well worth it, no regrets.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:24 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

Originally posted by irvine78

i don't miss the stock shifter a bit!
after i tried 'rowing' the stock shifter once again, i really really really really appreciate the short, precise and firm shifting of the STS.
I don't miss my STS one bit I prefer smooth over firm and "grainy". My shifter is cut 1.5" so my throws are shorter plus the shift pattern is moved back so that first is where neutral use to be with the STS. I can actually shift with my elbow resting on the arm rest.

I also removed my Stillen B-pipe and replaced it with the stocker. My car is now stock quiet and very smooth. I'm loving it.

Dave
Old 12-17-2002, 11:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

I also removed my Stillen B-pipe and replaced it with the stocker. My car is now stock quiet and very smooth. I'm loving it.

Dave
you're getting old Dave

Trevor
Old 12-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
you're getting old Dave

Trevor

I got the car with the Pacesetter STS already installed on there. I also learned how to drive stick on this same Maxima with my dad. So I'm very used to it, and I don't really have a problem downshifting at all.

I do admit though, that it was a nice to feel a stock 5-Speed (Iilac's) shifter....it was really smooth but not nice enough for me to switch back to stock.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

you're getting old Dave

Trevor
I also pulled off my HKS intake and I'm running the stock airbox (modified a bit). How are you gonna feel if you get beat by my quiet 96 rolling on 17s with just a y-pipe/UDP/VIM as the only mods? I do have a 2k muffler on the way and I'll get rid of crush bend in the B-pipe when I get the muffler installed.

Dave
Old 12-17-2002, 02:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

I also pulled off my HKS intake and I'm running the stock airbox (modified a bit). How are you gonna feel if you get beat by my quiet 96 rolling on 17s with just a y-pipe/UDP/VIM as the only mods? I do have a 2k muffler on the way and I'll get rid of crush bend in the B-pipe when I get the muffler installed.

Dave
i thought we already proved that you modified airbox doesn't help any...... i'm still waiting for a race

Trevor
Old 12-17-2002, 08:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

I can actually shift with my elbow resting on the arm rest.
I wonder why I never had a problem with this on my old car
Old 12-17-2002, 10:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

i thought we already proved that you modified airbox doesn't help any...... i'm still waiting for a race

Trevor
I did run a 14.75@96.5mph with the stock modified airbox this year. My last time out with the HKS intake I got a 14.70@96.7mph.

Dave
Old 12-18-2002, 07:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

I did run a 14.75@96.5mph with the stock modified airbox this year. My last time out with the HKS intake I got a 14.70@96.7mph.

Dave

you know i'm messing with you but you're still getting old...
Old 12-18-2002, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by shortchaz

I wonder why I never had a problem with this on my old car
probably because your arms is as long as my whole body