General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Type II wing installed, some fittment issues-->

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 04:25 PM
vapors smx

We just got the new Type II wing installed this afternoon by our body shop. We drive a 96 that had an oem wing. Contrary to what stillen says, it is not a direct bolt on. It took 2 guys 2 hours to properly mount it. Also threading the wire for the led was a big pain in the butt. They basically had to redrill a much larger whole through one of the legs of the wing on the bottom. The two center legs were off of the trunk by about a 1/4 inch. Also the led kit that comes with the wing is not a perfect fit, for their was a large gap and it doesnt look like the led kit was meant for this wing. After they worked on it for a while it finally worked. They basically had to use ultra thick double sided padding for the center two legs. This is to make up for the leg gap. I will post new pics tomorrow. I just wanted to say that an un-modified Type II wing was very hard for this body shop to properly put on. We love it though, ever so different, but not so people will point and laugh.

Old 12-29-2000, 04:56 PM
Disco Biscuit

Deffinately want to see pics,

oh ya, I've been meaning to ask you, Do you find your Momo Arrows to be too heavy,affecting performance?
Old 12-29-2000, 05:03 PM
vapors smx

Yeah, they are heavy. However, since this is an SMX we wanted to preserve the original look(they came with the package). Unfortunately, there is a compromise between looks and performance. The wheels though, are what we get the most comments about when we are at lights.

BTW. the stillen type II wing was an option on the SMX(which this one didnt have originally). It was called a stage III mod in their smx brochure, so we didnt change the look that much with the addition of the type II wing.

Old 12-29-2000, 05:12 PM

who is...

"we" you and a husband/wife? Parents, kids??? I don't know much about SMX, it says #16 like it came form the delaer with all the options, is this how it is? if so, how many were made? Phat ride.

PJ
Old 12-29-2000, 05:33 PM
vapors smx

Re: who is...

Originally posted by speednsound007
"we" you and a husband/wife? Parents, kids??? I don't know much about SMX, it says #16 like it came form the delaer with all the options, is this how it is? if so, how many were made? Phat ride.

PJ
This is my wife's car and daily driver. So, when I say we, I mean my wife and I.

The SMX was a package Stillen put together. It came with the body kit, wheels, interior embroidery, fstb, brakes, exhaust,etc.

Because it is an smx we can take it to any nissan dealership(we have had 3 work on it), and have everything covered under warranty because it was a nissan/stillen offer.

They made 60 of them through 5 years and we luckily ran into #16 at a used car dealership(they didnt know what it was). We paid 16k with 40k in miles on it.

Hope I answered your questions.

Old 12-29-2000, 07:32 PM

It took that much work....

I already got a Stillen type II wing and before i installed it on my car, I tried it on a rental car . It was an SE and it bolted right up. But i do agree on the third brake light on the wing. It's ugly, stick out by about an eight of an inch and doesn't fit flush to the opening. When i get my car repainted, i'm thinking of shaving it off and putting back the third brake light inside the car.
Old 12-29-2000, 10:58 PM

geez Im going to order the type 2 wing tuesday, I hope I dont have any problems with it, cant wait for the pics. Quick? how much taller is the wing from the oem one?
Old 12-29-2000, 11:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd say about an inch and a half. I didn't have any fitment problems, btw. I just installed mine last week.
Old 12-29-2000, 11:35 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

hey Vapors,
post some picts up!

good job on the install. can't wait to see it.