General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What kind of snow brush?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 06:50 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

What kind of snow brush?

Just wanted to know if anyone uses a particular type of snow brush..

I want to avoid putting scratches or marks on the finish. All of the brushes I looked at and used in the past, seemed to have some pretty stiff nylon type bristles. I was afraid they would mark the paint (I have a 2K2 black Max) Not sure if that type of brush marked the finish on my other cars, they were old and I didn't care that much about the finish.

I did get a 'bench brush' from the tool section of my local Fleet Farm. It seemed pretty soft with 'split ends' on the bristles. I'm thinking it would be less abrasive.

What have you guys used..and how does it affect the finish?
Old 11-30-2002, 06:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check Chariots Garage (sp?) for a nice horse hair brush. There online store has tons of goodies. I got one from a local speed shop. Paid about 30 bucks for it. It's soft as can be and the head rotates so you can push with it too. Great brush and it's never made any marks on my paint.

Tom
Old 11-30-2002, 07:36 AM

Re: What kind of snow brush?

Originally posted by Bluesbrekr
Just wanted to know if anyone uses a particular type of snow brush..

I want to avoid putting scratches or marks on the finish. All of the brushes I looked at and used in the past, seemed to have some pretty stiff nylon type bristles. I was afraid they would mark the paint (I have a 2K2 black Max) Not sure if that type of brush marked the finish on my other cars, they were old and I didn't care that much about the finish.

I did get a 'bench brush' from the tool section of my local Fleet Farm. It seemed pretty soft with 'split ends' on the bristles. I'm thinking it would be less abrasive.

What have you guys used..and how does it affect the finish?
That's a pretty good point you bring up because we would never have our car washed with brushes, why would we take snow off with one? When my car was new I was really careful not to brush too hard, but I guess after the first winter I just decided not to worry about it. I'll tell you this though, after the first winter, my windshield had tiny scratches from the plastic scraper which I find hard to explain....
Old 11-30-2002, 08:56 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. Get the 99 cent brush at a gas station. The brushes are stiff, but the nylon is real smooth so it never seems to scratch it. Cars around (buffalo) don't seem any worse because of snow brushes

ps-I need to buy one....i've been using my sleeve for the past two weeks.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Check Chariots Garage (sp?) for a nice horse hair brush.
Are you thinking of Grior's Garage?
-Cyus
Old 11-30-2002, 11:57 AM
dko
duck and cover

costco $10 swivel brush/scraper/sqeegee, hand-scraper and glove set
Old 11-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally posted by Vyrus

Are you thinking of Grior's Garage?
-Cyus
I found a Griot's Garage site..they have a bunch of horsehair brushes, but none specifically for snow. A couple might work, I'll check them out more. Thanks.

Any other ideas?
Old 11-30-2002, 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Bluesbrekr

I found a Griot's Garage site..they have a bunch of horsehair brushes, but none specifically for snow. A couple might work, I'll check them out more. Thanks.

Any other ideas?
Yeah sorry that's what I mean , they're probably your best bet - I'm sure J.C. Whitney would also carry them but they probably won't be as high quality.
-Cyus
Old 11-30-2002, 03:47 PM

I use a regular nylon brush but I'm covering it with a 100% cotton sock, to avoid the brush from scratching the finish. This was a recommendation from the fanatics at Autopia.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:17 AM

Would you consider brushing the snow off with your hands instead?

Thank god for my winter beater!

Oh, this reminds me ... my friend got a Maaco paint job, brushed snow off with a brush and later, found his car covered with fine scratches everywhere. It looked terrible! (Uh ohh, better NOT get Maaco).