General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

what suvs would you consider as a 2nd car to Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 07:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is where its at...
Old 12-02-2002, 07:27 AM
Administrator

stock 4th Gen
Old 12-02-2002, 08:13 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: Re: what suvs would you consider as a 2nd car to Maxima?

Originally posted by Dave B
What's really sad is that my wife's Subaru Legacy GT wagon can haul around as much gear as "most" of the SUVs I rent for work plus it handles far better, generally accelerates better, and has about as much "offraod capability.

Dave
I really seriously tried to get my fiance to take a look at a Subaru Outback 3.0 AWD wagon, mentioning pretty much exactly what you did, but she wouldn't hear it. Apparently Subaru's have a sort of negative stigma among Asian's.

I think women actually drive SUV's more than men do nowadays (recent statistics), and the thing that women like most about them is that they feel big and powerful for once, and they're also looking down on the rest of the world for a change instead of looking up. It's a complete 180 perspective change for them, which I understand.

It's not so much the capabilities, handling, and whatnot, but rather just the perspective. I'm 6'4" and look down on people all day. I don't mind looking up a bit in my sedan just when I'm driving. Most women are just the opposite.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:50 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Re: Re: what suvs would you consider as a 2nd car to Maxima?

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I really seriously tried to get my fiance to take a look at a Subaru Outback 3.0 AWD wagon, mentioning pretty much exactly what you did, but she wouldn't hear it. Apparently Subaru's have a sort of negative stigma among Asian's.

I think women actually drive SUV's more than men do nowadays (recent statistics), and the thing that women like most about them is that they feel big and powerful for once, and they're also looking down on the rest of the world for a change instead of looking up. It's a complete 180 perspective change for them, which I understand.

It's not so much the capabilities, handling, and whatnot, but rather just the perspective. I'm 6'4" and look down on people all day. I don't mind looking up a bit in my sedan just when I'm driving. Most women are just the opposite.
Haha, my wife wanted to have nothing to do with a wagon. Period. She was happy with her 97 Altima. Then one day I pulled up in silver 98 Legacy GT wagon and she was like "holy crap, this thing is awesome". She liked the fact that is feels solid and handles really well is very sporty looking plus a GT wagon is pretty rare. She didn't like the floaty and light feel of the Altima. I don't like washing the GT because it makes me realize how much better engineered the GT is vs my Maxima. Even the body panels feel more substanial.

Women, in general, like what's in style and trendy. That's a biggest reason for the SUV craze. And you're right, women probably drive more SUVs than men. Women also drive more Vettes, Mustangs, F-Bodys BMWs, Benz, Porches, etc than men

I can't wait until this SUV craze is over. It's all such a waste of resources.

DID YOU KNOW, that 1/3 of the Suburban sold in the US reside in Texas? How's that for sick? Oh I forgot, Texas is really mountainous and gets loads of snow.

Dave
Old 12-02-2002, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by boo
The Nissan Murano is due out anytime!
250HP AWD. This SUV looks great but price starts
around 28-29k. If I had the $ this would be my
next car/suv .
The Murano is here (in Canada at least). Last week I was driving by the dealership next to my girlfriends (Richmond Hill) and saw three of them sitting front and center in the lot. My first thought was what the hell are those, then I remembered something about the Murano but I had thought they wouldn't be available in NA. My mistake. Anyway, they look pretty good in person but ya, they're a little pricey for me.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: what suvs would you consider as a 2nd car to Maxima?

Then one day I pulled up in silver 98 Legacy GT wagon and she was like "holy crap, this thing is awesome".
I've seen a few of these, and they're definitely rare, but very cool looking

DID YOU KNOW, that 1/3 of the Suburban sold in the US reside in Texas? How's that for sick?
I could believe it!

I was in Texas once for business and MAN OH MAN!, Texans are BIG on trucks. Just about every truck I saw was fixed up in some way. Some lifted, some dropped, and almost all of them had the dualie straight pipes. hehe

The whole time I was there I hardly saw ANY imports, much less a fixed up one. I did see an old 4th Gen Accord (90-93) riced with a whale tail spoiler though.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:19 AM
I'm needing a caw

Dave B. I generally agree with your SUV statements. 99.999999999999999999999999999% of people don't ever take their SUV offroad. And WTF are people lowering their frame based SUVs and putting 26" rims on for? Next thing you know, lifing Acura NSXs and putting offroad tires/rims on it will be the next craze.

Anyhoo. I don't think ALL suvs are bad. We own a 2000 RX300. I like it(although I tend to overdrive it, not good). The step in is exactly like a car(due to the unibody based frame) and the handling and confort is very good(again unibody based and because it's a Lexus). Of course, unibodys aren't as good for offroad but then again, we all know nobody in their right mind is gonna take a $50,000 Lincoln Navigator offroad either.

The one difference I noted w/ your statements is that suvs waste resources. We get about 20-24 mpg on mostly rush hour traffic. That's pretty good for a V6(sedan or suv). The Subaru in the 4 cylinder versions should be better but I don't know what the 6 cylinder versions do for mpg. Also the RX300 and the Highlander most likely are only 2wd 99% of the time. The frt/rear is has a viscous LSD and only engages when the rear needs it. I also have a LSD inbetween the lft/rght rear for added traction(2000 was that last year for that before the electronic goop was std on the this car). So most of the time, my suv is 2wd while the Subaru is driving all 4 wheels all the time.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Dave B. I generally agree with your SUV statements. 99.999999999999999999999999999% of people don't ever take their SUV offroad.
I guess we are 0.000000000000000000000000001% SUV owners then. hehe

I did actually take it all the way out to the beach, but we had road-biased tires on at 30psi and no tire pressure kit. I was afraid it was gonna burrow down and get stuck (already struggled to get out there) so I drove it right back as soon as we got to the water and forgot to take a picture. Darn it!! hehe...that was fun, though.

The one difference I noted w/ your statements is that suvs waste resources. We get about 20-24 mpg on mostly rush hour traffic. That's pretty good for a V6(sedan or suv).
Yeah we get about 23-24 mpg on the highway, and unlike the Nissan mileage computer, the one in the Toyota is actually ACCURATE! This is about what I get in the Maxima, but of course I drive that thing like a bat outta hell. LOL. Hardcore city she gets about 18 mpg.

The thing that stands out about the RX/HL is that they are both car-based, and considerably lighter weight than their competitors. They weigh in at less than 4000lb, whereas most other SUV's in the class are closer to 4500lb. That lets them get better mileage and performance, while also not requiring them to run overly-tall economy gears just to make mileage targets. Our Highlander is turning 3000rpm @ 80mph in 4th, which keeps it nice and peppy on the highway.

Also the RX300 and the Highlander most likely are only 2wd 99% of the time. The frt/rear is has a viscous LSD and only engages when the rear needs it. I also have a LSD inbetween the lft/rght rear for added traction(2000 was that last year for that before the electronic goop was std on the this car). So most of the time, my suv is 2wd while the Subaru is driving all 4 wheels all the time.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the Highlander/RX300 AWD system is 4 wheels all the time, not two. I know the Honda Pilot and CR-V systems are actually FWD until slippage is imminent (Pilot) or actually occuring (CR-V) and then the rear diff is engaged.

But I thought the HL/RX were 4 wheels all the time. Is this not the case?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

I'm pretty sure it's FWD, then slips to AWD(or 3WD), then more slip, 4WD-ie.. both rears). I would preferred the lsd in the front wheels but oh well.

Steve, since your/my suvs share the Camry V6, I suggest getting regular oil analysis. Or at least a few just to see how your oil holds up.

Old 12-02-2002, 10:58 AM

Re: what suvs would you consider as a 2nd car to Maxima?

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
That XC90 is interesting. Very tight turning radius in the Volvo tradition, 18" rims available. Since Maximas have poor resale, why not keep the 98 SE and get the SUV as a 2nd car? I've found as a homeowner I always have to call my buddy with the CRV or my girl with the Suburban every time I need anything for the home. Maxima is useless, not even a folding seat on the 98!

The numbers are rather sad, though. $25,000 down (don't like that at all, rather have cash for rainy days), 36 month financing and the payments would be $450/mo. So much for the theory of don't borrow, pay cash for your new car! Interesting how leasing changes everything, new 325i for $349/mo. But leasing = rental imho, only you're still responsible for the insurance and taxes...
96 Toyota 4runner SR5 4WD is my *second car*. Gotta love Toyota reliabilty......140K miles with not one problem, ever.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:15 AM

I'm pretty sure it's FWD, then slips to AWD(or 3WD), then more slip, 4WD-ie.. both rears). I would preferred the lsd in the front wheels but oh well.
Hmmm....

Edmunds.com 02 Highlander Review
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/compa...3/page005.html
The optional full-time four-wheel-drive system requires no driver input, splitting power between the front and rear wheels in a 50/50 split under normal conditions. If traction is lost at either end, a viscous coupling redistributes the power to the wheels with the most grip. We never experienced any noticeable losses of traction during our relatively easy off-road excursion, so, to the best of our knowledge, the system works seamlessly.
The system you're describing is a part-time system. If this info is correct from Edmunds.com (they usually don't screw up) then the HL actually has a full-time system where the LSD just redistributes power as needed, sorta like the Subaru and Audi Quattro systems. Maybe the RX and HL are different then.

Steve, since your/my suvs share the Camry V6, I suggest getting regular oil analysis. Or at least a few just to see how your oil holds up.
I would do that if I actually had my own garage/driveway to do my own oil changes (and get samples), but I don't

I'd like to see how it holds up too, especially since we have the "updated" 1MZ-FE design post sludge issue explosion. Apparently they modified the heads to allow oil to drain out faster (bandaid), but didn't drop the head temps (the root cause).

Do you think the express oil change places or a Toyota dealership would be able to fill up an oil sample kit? If so I'll do it
Old 12-02-2002, 11:18 AM
I'm needing a caw

I'll hop onto edmunds and check.

The solution was to make an all-wheel-drive option, combining an integrated transfer case with a viscous coupling center differential and an optional limited-slip rear differential. It provides a 50/50 front-to-rear power split for even traction, and we surmise that this system, along with the transmission in the "Snow" mode that starts the RX 300 off in second gear for less slippage, will be useful for residents of colder climes.

I stand corrected.

We actually have a service package w/ the Chevy dealer(!?) we bought the RX300 from. They filled up the sample bottle no problem. Make sure to get the filter and oil brand/type from them also.

Do you think the express oil change places or a Toyota dealership would be able to fill up an oil sample kit? If so I'll do it
Old 12-02-2002, 11:23 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Anyhoo. I don't think ALL suvs are bad. We own a 2000 RX300. I like it(although I tend to overdrive it, not good). The step in is exactly like a car(due to the unibody based frame) and the handling and confort is very good(again unibody based and because it's a Lexus). Of course, unibodys aren't as good for offroad but then again, we all know nobody in their right mind is gonna take a $50,000 Lincoln Navigator offroad either.

The one difference I noted w/ your statements is that suvs waste resources. We get about 20-24 mpg on mostly rush hour traffic. That's pretty good for a V6(sedan or suv). The Subaru in the 4 cylinder versions should be better but I don't know what the 6 cylinder versions do for mpg. Also the RX300 and the Highlander most likely are only 2wd 99% of the time. The frt/rear is has a viscous LSD and only engages when the rear needs it. I also have a LSD inbetween the lft/rght rear for added traction(2000 was that last year for that before the electronic goop was std on the this car). So most of the time, my suv is 2wd while the Subaru is driving all 4 wheels all the time.
I guess I should have made myself more clear, my biggest gripe is with the oversized SUVs for the most part. I like that many car-based SUVs are starting to take over the SUV market. The RX300 is a Camry-based platform, correct? My aunt recently bought a RX300. It rides really good, but doesn't handle all that well nor can it haul very much. It's a nice car/SUV

As for the AWD, my wife's Legacy GT is an auto and it uses the same viscous LSD system that your RX300 does. The Scooby autos use an entirely AWD than the manual Scoodys. I've tested the system numerous times on slick surfaces and the front tires definately spin for a second before the rear engages. If and when the GT gets a flat, Subaru insists that the AWD be converted to FWD (thru the use of a jumper fuse) so that the diffs don't get burned up with the shorter spare tire. I put the fuse in one day to see what the car would drive like and it was completely different. It would spin the front tires really bad thru 1st and torque steer like a *****.

Dave
Old 12-02-2002, 11:32 AM
I'm needing a caw

It has the 222 hp Camry engine and I "could" be Camry based. But I'm not sure how you use a FWD unibody platform to make a AWD platform(FWD+AWD drivetrain). But it DOES have a transverse mounted V6 so I guess it's possible. The Jag AWD uses the European Ford Contour chassis.

I guess I should have made myself more clear, my biggest gripe is with the oversized SUVs for the most part. I like that many car-based SUVs are starting to take over the SUV market. The RX300 is a Camry-based platform, correct? My aunt recently bought a RX300. It rides really good, but doesn't handle all that well nor can it haul very much. It's a nice car/SUV
Dave
Old 12-02-2002, 11:37 AM

Dave,

Your Legacy didn't come with a full-sized or at least full-diameter donut spare?

I wonder how many diffs have blown up from people that didn't know they were supposed to set a jumper

From what I've read at i-club, the automatic Subaru's actually have a MORE advanced AWD system (closer to the systems on their rally cars) than the manual version, even on the WRX! That was a little surprising to learn that...

It has the 222 hp Camry engine and I "could" be Camry based. But I'm not sure how you use a FWD unibody platform to make a AWD platform(FWD+AWD drivetrain). But it DOES have a transverse mounted V6 so I guess it's possible. The Jag AWD uses the European Ford Contour chassis.
Yupper, both the RX300 and Highlander are Camry based, and have the same 1MZ-FE V6 as the Camry, but with VVT-i added (and thank God for that! )

And they CAN actually make a transverse engine with an AWD setup. I'm not sure how they do it either, but it'd be neat to get underneath the car and see. The Honda Pilot and CR-V are both setup the same way with transverse mounted engines and AWD systems. The Pilot is based off of the Odyessy which is based off of the Accord, and the CR-V is based off of their Global Compact platform (Civic, RSX, etc)
Old 12-02-2002, 11:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

Stev, I get ****ed when people say "oh it's just a lifted Camry". WTF?? It's a lifted AWD camry w/ 2 lsd differentials foolio! hehe
Old 12-02-2002, 11:51 AM

Stev, I get ****ed when people say "oh it's just a lifted Camry". WTF?? It's a lifted AWD camry w/ 2 lsd differentials foolio! hehe
And VVT-i too!

Hey hun, your car is just a modern day Camry wagon with AWD.

Her:

Old 12-02-2002, 12:08 PM
Boost.....

I guess we are 0.000000000000000000000000001% SUV owners then. hehe

I did actually take it all the way out to the beach, but we had road-biased tires on at 30psi and no tire pressure kit. I was afraid it was gonna burrow down and get stuck (already struggled to get out there) so I drove it right back as soon as we got to the water and forgot to take a picture. Darn it!! hehe...that was fun, though.

Yeah we get about 23-24 mpg on the highway, and unlike the Nissan mileage computer, the one in the Toyota is actually ACCURATE! This is about what I get in the Maxima, but of course I drive that thing like a bat outta hell. LOL. Hardcore city she gets about 18 mpg.

The thing that stands out about the RX/HL is that they are both car-based, and considerably lighter weight than their competitors. They weigh in at less than 4000lb, whereas most other SUV's in the class are closer to 4500lb. That lets them get better mileage and performance, while also not requiring them to run overly-tall economy gears just to make mileage targets. Our Highlander is turning 3000rpm @ 80mph in 4th, which keeps it nice and peppy on the highway.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the Highlander/RX300 AWD system is 4 wheels all the time, not two. I know the Honda Pilot and CR-V systems are actually FWD until slippage is imminent (Pilot) or actually occuring (CR-V) and then the rear diff is engaged.

OBX?? (Outer banks)
Old 12-02-2002, 12:23 PM

Honda Element.

What I can't afford... X5, MDX, New Benz SUV (the real boxy one).

But for now I have a fully loaded 96 Pathfinder as a back up.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by erty67
I have 88 Chevy S-10 Blazer....and it's got 235k miles on it! it was only $500 though
Would you like another one for that price?
I have one that's got a little over 200K!

Old 12-02-2002, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp
OBX?? (Outer banks)

Complete with bandwagon sticker on the back

although it's the clear vinyl one instead of the B/W sticker. we thought that was too ooglie
Old 12-02-2002, 12:30 PM
Boost.....

Complete with bandwagon sticker on the back

although it's the clear vinyl one instead of the B/W sticker. we thought that was too ooglie
Thought so.....Pretty place. My wife and I were there last year the day of the shark attack. LONG story.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:36 PM

Thought so.....Pretty place. My wife and I were there last year the day of the shark attack. LONG story.
Yup...we're gonna try to go back someplace. Lots of GREAT restaurants there too.

This is the whole beauty of having at least something with a little bit of ground clearance and AWD (don't think a Subaru would cut it in the sand). You can go where others can't and really "get away" and go to your OWN spot on the beach instead of parking in a lot with a few hundred other people and trying to find a few square feet of beach to yourself.

This really opened my eyes to the positive side of SUV's. At least the more sensible ones. I still hate the Denali/Excursion types. Those are just pointless for 99% of people.

Although I did see a Suburban cutting through the sand with a family and lots of kids on board. It was actually doing a pretty darn good job too (they're allowed to have one ) But of course it had off-road biased tires. The all-season road-going tires in the Highlander weren't well suited to the sand.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:41 PM
Boost.....

Yup...we're gonna try to go back someplace. Lots of GREAT restaurants there too.

This is the whole beauty of having at least something with a little bit of ground clearance and AWD (don't think a Subaru would cut it in the sand). You can go where others can't and really "get away" and go to your OWN spot on the beach instead of parking in a lot with a few hundred other people and trying to find a few square feet of beach to yourself.

This really opened my eyes to the positive side of SUV's. At least the more sensible ones. I still hate the Denali/Excursion types. Those are just pointless for 99% of people.
I hear ya.......we took our expedition....when we still had it, we got a 2000 Audi A6 Avant now......It makes NO sense to rent a house "OceanFront, or Beach Front" when you can DRIVE right out on the beach.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:57 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Sand, smand It really depends on the kind of sand you're talking about. I had no problems navigating the Legacy GT on the beaches of St. Augustine, FL. However, I made damn sure not to get close to the dunes because the sand is just to deep and loose. H-rated performance tires and 6.5" of ground clearance won't cut it in deep sand. I don't think they're many factory equipped SUVs/trucks that can peddle thru 6" of loose sand. I've had to help out many guys in their 4WD vehicles because they thought they were cool kicking up the sand. They were amazed that such shallow sand could trap them. It reminds me of May of this year when I got stuck in 1" of mud in a 4WD 01 Chevy 1500. I had to get a track excavator with a tow strap to get me out

Dave
Old 12-02-2002, 01:16 PM
Boost.....

Sand, smand It really depends on the kind of sand you're talking about. I had no problems navigating the Legacy GT on the beaches of St. Augustine, FL. However, I made damn sure not to get close to the dunes because the sand is just to deep and loose. H-rated performance tires and 6.5" of ground clearance won't cut it in deep sand. I don't think they're many factory equipped SUVs/trucks that can peddle thru 6" of loose sand. I've had to help out many guys in their 4WD vehicles because they thought they were cool kicking up the sand. They were amazed that such shallow sand could trap them. It reminds me of May of this year when I got stuck in 1" of mud in a 4WD 01 Chevy 1500. I had to get a track excavator with a tow strap to get me out

Dave

If we're movin....we ain't stuck.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:16 PM

Sand, smand It really depends on the kind of sand you're talking about. I had no problems navigating the Legacy GT on the beaches of St. Augustine, FL. However, I made damn sure not to get close to the dunes because the sand is just to deep and loose. H-rated performance tires and 6.5" of ground clearance won't cut it in deep sand.

By Subaru's I really meant the WRX though, since I almost bought one. I should have said WRX instead. But yeah, I know the other Subaru models have a little bit more ground clearance.

I dunno though. Some of this stuff at OBX was pretty deep.

Ground clearance for the WRX is 6.1 inches.
Your Legacy GT is 6.5 inches.
Our Highlander is 7.3 inches.
A 4Runner is 9.1 inches.

Even if 6.1 inches would have cut it at OBX, I know the WRX probably would have buried its nose in the sand going over a bump or something. It wasn't exactly flat ground there. That's where approach and departure angles come into play. I know the Highlander probably has better specs in this area compared to a WRX, and probably even a Legacy.

Nevermind the fact that 99.99999% of people that actually buy these cars don't even know WTH approach and departure angles are
Old 12-02-2002, 01:25 PM

If we're movin....we ain't stuck.

That's what I kept telling my fiance as I could FEEL all 4 tires slipping and struggling for traction in the sand. Just kept a steady throttle and prayed silently (my first time off-roading)

I couldn't believe it when we discovered that you could actually DRIVE on the beach. I knew we didn't exactly have the right equipment for the job, but I was like HELL YEA lets do it!

So glad we didn't take the Maxima on that trip. Probably woulda gotten VERY sandy and also stuck, even before we got to the deep stuff at the beach (never would have even tried to go into that, though)
Old 12-02-2002, 01:27 PM
Boost.....

:laugh

That's what I kept telling my fiance as I could FEEL all 4 tires slipping and struggling for traction in the sand. Just kept a steady throttle and prayed silently (my first time off-roading)

I couldn't believe it when we discovered that you could actually DRIVE on the beach. I knew we didn't exactly have the right equipment for the job, but I was like HELL YEA lets do it!

So glad we didn't take the Maxima on that trip. Probably woulda gotten VERY sandy and also stuck, even before we got to the deep stuff at the beach :
For next trip.........the trick is to lower your tire pressure to below 20psi. If you notice, there are air pumps at the entrance/exit.

Old 12-02-2002, 01:34 PM

For next trip.........the trick is to lower your tire pressure to below 20psi. If you notice, there are air pumps at the entrance/exit.

Yeah, I saw the signs, but no air pumps

If/When we go back, I'm gonna have something standalone with us to handle reinflation, along with my tire pressure guage.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by erty67
I have 88 Chevy S-10 Blazer....and it's got 235k miles on it! it was only $500 though
I have an S-10 as well - a '91 with only 160k miles

Runs great - I've had it since sept 99 - had 100k then. Had no problems at all. Only had to change the brake pads and 2 tires.

Now I only use it for hauling stuff, towing a trailer and camping trips.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: what suvs would you consider as a 2nd car to Maxima?

let me put it this way, i bought the '03 max because i was THAT happy w/ my '00 pathfinder LE.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:57 PM

I hear ya.......we took our expedition....when we still had it, we got a 2000 Audi A6 Avant now......It makes NO sense to rent a house "OceanFront, or Beach Front" when you can DRIVE right out on the beach.
Wish I had used my brains instead of chasing hotties on the NJ shore...actually maybe I was too young but I could have got some capital appreciation. When I grew up I lost my shirt on Wall Street, but who didn't. The real estate has nearly doubled in Brigantine at a time when I actually could have bought a POS place. I also hear that 10 years ago it was not that expensive to buy a place in Ocean City, NJ. Now 450,000 buys you 1/2 a house....
Old 12-03-2002, 07:47 AM

I can't stand, and have never wanted a SUV. I can't for the life of me understand why the hell people buy them. Safer? Suvs have a higher rate of single car accidents than any other vehicle. Why? These nimrods get going too fast with a false sense of security and go flippin off the road with their high center of gravity. I passed two suvs in the ditch this morning on my way to work in the ditch, it snowed yesterday. Amazingly there weren't any cars. You still stop and steer with the same advantages as me in my 99 max. Yes, they're safer in 2 car accidents, so then you'll probaly kill the people in the other car, great, good job. I can't imagine driving a huge, 12 mpg, 7000lb truck around all the time, how boring!!! At least the the Ford Valdez (Excursion) is going away. Maybe more will follow soon!

Sorry, I had to vent.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pick up truck dude...
Maxima to carry people, the truck to carry the rest !
Old 12-03-2002, 05:08 PM
I miss the .org!

The Murano is booty...

Realistically, I would get a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, throw on some 20's, and put in some nice audio/video.
Unrealistically, I'd get either the new Range Rover, X5, or G-class.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:34 PM

I've driven a 99 Chevy Tahoe and a 99 Nissan Pathfinder and if I had to pick an SUV from those two, I'd pick the Tahoe...the space is great and it drives a lot nicer than one would think it does. The Pathfinder is a great truck, but it feels like a taller tippier Maxima that's been sapped of speed.

Also, V8 Silverados are nice rented one in San Fransisco. The amazing torque on that thing made short work of the hills. The V6's are sorely lacking in power though, I drove one of those too.

As for the Suburu...I sat inside an Outback wagon at a car show...great looking car from the outside, I'm sure there's good technology behind it, and I'm sure I could fit a lot in it, but I just feel like an old man sitting in it. It's like you get into the seat and instantly you're 3 times your age. I could never drive one of those every day.

That's my two cents.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:20 PM

I'm not an SUV person, so I would have a hard time deciding. If I am to stay true to Nissan, I guess I'd go with a Pathfinder. The QX4's are pretty sharp too with the HID's.