General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Shouldn't tires screech or something?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2000, 03:57 AM

Well, I've been driving in my current configuration for almost a week now (listed below). I must say that my ride is pretty damn sporty, for a family sedan... ahem. The car feels like a smaller car and I have much more confidence around corners. Plus, under hard acceleration and braking the car feels more stable. I've been taking familiar turns, and noticed the Max is much more willing to comply without arguing. Since I mod'd everything kinda at once, it is hard to gauge what caused the most difference. But, put everything together... Anyway, the AVS Sports' grip is pretty incredible, however, those times I "burnout" and my tires are spinning hopelessly I hear no screeching nor do I see any smoke. The tires simply spin without making a lot of noise, or traction for that matter. Shouldn't there be more drama, more flare, more something? The tires are new, does this have anything to do with it? I'm not talking about e-braking and sitting in place burning out. Just those times my Max gives me more torque than my tires can provide traction for. Just wonderin.
Old 12-31-2000, 05:37 AM

Screech...

Mostly it has to do with tire compound. A softer compound wont screech.
Old 12-31-2000, 07:31 AM
Johnny

haha that's funny

Mine screeched all the time when I drove around with 15 lbs in my rear-left (inadvertently). Maybe you need the new BMW M3. It can go into a tailspin from any speed when the gas pedal is mashed in 1st or 2nd gear. Darn shame they're making so few of them, car is such a bargain on paper.

Old 12-31-2000, 08:11 AM

Re: Screech...

Originally posted by CFster
Mostly it has to do with tire compound. A softer compound wont screech.
I just got a set of Kumhos a few
months ago and sometimes they dont
screech,,,,sometimes they do
i thought it was strange and then
sometimes i get wheel hop ..which
i never got before...but since these
are grippier,thats why
i never try to smoke the tires ,but
i have smelled em burning a few time
man do they stink.
Old 12-31-2000, 09:18 AM

Re: haha that's funny

Originally posted by Johnny
Darn shame they're making so few of them, car is such a bargain on paper.
i think they will make as many as the demand. it's just they can't build it too fast, so it seems demand is overwhelming the supply, wait long enough, everyone will get his.
Old 12-31-2000, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Ra1max
Well, I've been driving in my current configuration for almost a week now (listed below). I must say that my ride is pretty damn sporty, for a family sedan... ahem. The car feels like a smaller car and I have much more confidence around corners. Plus, under hard acceleration and braking the car feels more stable. I've been taking familiar turns, and noticed the Max is much more willing to comply without arguing. Since I mod'd everything kinda at once, it is hard to gauge what caused the most difference. But, put everything together... Anyway, the AVS Sports' grip is pretty incredible, however, those times I "burnout" and my tires are spinning hopelessly I hear no screeching nor do I see any smoke. The tires simply spin without making a lot of noise, or traction for that matter. Shouldn't there be more drama, more flare, more something? The tires are new, does this have anything to do with it? I'm not talking about e-braking and sitting in place burning out. Just those times my Max gives me more torque than my tires can provide traction for. Just wonderin.
The lower you go in tire profile (all other things being equal) the less squeal you will hear, the more likely you will get axle tramp, the more likely it will pull left or right on uneven pavement and the more sudden the breakaway (related to squeal).

Dave
Old 12-31-2000, 03:57 PM

Thanx all. Just curious though, what is axle tramp? Is this the same thing as the "wheel hop" I hear about? Why does this happen? I would think lower pros would help provide better traction instead of "hoping". I don't know. And yeah, my car does pull pretty hard to the left or right sometimes on uneven pavement. Kinda scary.
Old 12-31-2000, 08:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll let you know which causes the biggest difference in a week or so. . . I have decent tires on mine, a FSTB (So far the biggest difference), and in a week or so Konis/Eibachs. Sooner or later I will add a RSB, but don't have the money for one yet. But I am assuming the FSTB or the Spring/Strut combo makes the biggest difference.
Old 01-01-2001, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by Ra1max
Thanx all. Just curious though, what is axle tramp? Is this the same thing as the "wheel hop" I hear about? Why does this happen? I would think lower pros would help provide better traction instead of "hoping". I don't know. And yeah, my car does pull pretty hard to the left or right sometimes on uneven pavement. Kinda scary.
Sorry - axle tramp is the old term for wheel hop. The short, stiff sidewalls have very little give so everything gets strange. If you look at real race cars you will see that they don't use particularly low profiles - it makes them really hard to drive. Drag racers use the tallest profiles of all pavement racers, partly to get smooth spin. Profile has nothing to do with traction, that comes from width, compound and construction. Low profiles improve response at the expense of forgiveness.

Dave