General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help me solve my exhaust problems..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 03:36 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Help me solve my exhaust problems..

i hit something on the road about a month ago and off an on my exhaust rattles pretty bad. sounds like its gonna fall off or something.

i noticed there is a little metal beam/bar near the front of the Bpipe and after the Cat.

i think that's one of the culprits of the rattling.

is that piece really necessary? im thinking of just taking it off and let it free roam (the bpipe).. i know its there to prevent the exhaust coming down too far but im 85% sure thats the cause of the rattling noise.

second problem is. that after i hit that block of whatever (i couldnt move. it was fast lane in the rain all lanes full) my car also got LOUDER. i noticed a dent on my RT cat, you think its possible it cracked the ceramic?

aiya.....

--ches
Old 12-10-2002, 03:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

I had a piece of the brick come loose in my RT cat. It would rattle at certain rpms. I took it off and you could see the 1/2 of the brick slide back and forth. The exhaust shop said a old 02 sensor heated the cat up too much and caused the brick to come loose. I didn't hit anything with it.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Got Bent?

you can remove that cross-member or try and place some washers in between the cross-member and where it mounts... this may give you some extra clearance. I know a few people needed to do this after getting y-pipes since they banged against that bar.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:42 PM

My exhaust is annoyingly rattley too, I'm going to get it to an exhaust shop and see what they can do.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:44 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Jeffy: Hmm... did you remove the brick? Funny thing was i got a check engine lite a few days later. Right bank 02, and knock sensor. i cleared it and waited for it to return. nothing... back yet. so maybe it was a fluke?

i can orientate the noise coming from underneath my shifter (for sure)..

UMD: thanks. but you dont forsee any problems removing that cross member. eh? perhaps i shall bend it down into more of a U shape...
Old 12-10-2002, 03:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Nope. 1/2(front) half of the cat was still there so I left it for now. I have an used carsound to replace it but I've run into another snag. I threw an rod/crank endcap and it seized my motor. So as you can fathom, the rattlely cat is a relatively minor problem.

Originally posted by Chebosto
Jeffy: Hmm... did you remove the brick? Funny thing was i got a check engine lite a few days later. Right bank 02, and knock sensor. i cleared it and waited for it to return. nothing... back yet. so maybe it was a fluke?

Old 12-10-2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Nope. 1/2(front) half of the cat was still there so I left it for now. I have an used carsound to replace it but I've run into another snag. I threw an rod/crank endcap and it seized my motor. So as you can fathom, the rattlely cat is a relatively minor problem.

I would take the cat issues over that anyday.

SuDZ
Old 12-10-2002, 04:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

I could swear you follow me around this site. But then again, many probably feel that way

Originally posted by SuDZ

I would take the cat issues over that anyday.

SuDZ
Old 12-10-2002, 04:39 PM

I could swear you follow me around this site. But then again, many probably feel that way

Your not the first person to tell me this.

SuDZ
Old 12-10-2002, 05:43 PM
living out of a maxima...

...he is everywhere... ...always...
Old 12-10-2002, 06:47 PM
Got Bent?

UMD: thanks. but you dont forsee any problems removing that cross member. eh? perhaps i shall bend it down into more of a U shape...

Temporarily, removing it shouldn't matter.. just to see if it helps. If it turns out to be a problem, then you can try to get some more clearance.... People have removed it entirely without issues tho....
Old 12-11-2002, 04:08 AM
i SeE what you did therE

i bet it is the rt cat. my ceramitc piece came loose by itself as well and rattled terribly..
Old 12-11-2002, 09:43 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

.. i onlyhear the rattle at low rpms when i just start moving.

its like some homeless guy banging on bones to get change.

rumble rumble rumble.

#%@# makes my car look/sound cheap.

i feel embarassed when i drive it.
heheh.

thanks Jeffy.

i give you:

$20!
Old 12-11-2002, 11:28 AM

Re: Help me solve my exhaust problems..

I replaced the hanger at that location and the rattling went away but in the mean time I bent that piece down a bit..

i hit something on the road about a month ago and off an on my exhaust rattles pretty bad. sounds like its gonna fall off or something.

i noticed there is a little metal beam/bar near the front of the Bpipe and after the Cat.

i think that's one of the culprits of the rattling.

is that piece really necessary? im thinking of just taking it off and let it free roam (the bpipe).. i know its there to prevent the exhaust coming down too far but im 85% sure thats the cause of the rattling noise.

second problem is. that after i hit that block of whatever (i couldnt move. it was fast lane in the rain all lanes full) my car also got LOUDER. i noticed a dent on my RT cat, you think its possible it cracked the ceramic?

aiya.....

--ches
Old 12-12-2002, 09:39 PM

When I got my Apex'i WS, my exhaust banged when I went over larger bumps. I took it to the exhaust shop, and they replaced the hanger w/ a more heavy duty one for the B - Pipe. The pipe still hits that beam below the B pipe.

I would go w/ Redmax's idea, and see if the ceramic didn't get f'ed up.

Chebosto maybe that beam got bent upwards a bit?? just trying to imagine how a block could bend that bar, or even loosen some bolts???
Old 12-13-2002, 05:17 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

I took that cross memeber/brace that you're talking about off the day I did my exhaust install and never put it back. No ill effects.

I had a RT cat, and one day I just lost all my power. Came to find out that the bricks insided the cat shattered, left the cat, and clogged the b-pipe. Ever since I've had a test pipe and no problems.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:09 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

interesting.. i guess i better check it out and fix it soon.

Originally posted by ejj
I took that cross memeber/brace that you're talking about off the day I did my exhaust install and never put it back. No ill effects.

I had a RT cat, and one day I just lost all my power. Came to find out that the bricks insided the cat shattered, left the cat, and clogged the b-pipe. Ever since I've had a test pipe and no problems.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:15 AM

I thought it's been discussed million times that RT Cat sucks????

Carsound???
Old 12-13-2002, 10:22 AM

It's almost like a plague of disease that everybody has to try it themselves in order to believe it (including myself)
Carsound???
Old 12-13-2002, 06:15 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

I've had this cat for over two & half years.

Originally posted by MaxTuner

It's almost like a plague of disease that everybody has to try it themselves in order to believe it (including myself)
Carsound???