General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Q: where's the metal clip on porterfield pad

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 05:00 PM
nm

Q: where's the metal clip on porterfield pad

I just got a set of porterfields in the mail and was comparing them to and old set of worn OEM pads I had lying in the closet and I noticed that the OEMs have a metal clip/loop sticking out from the back of the pad and the porterfields don't have anything(just flat the pad), I was wondering if someone can tell me what the clip is there for on the stock pads?
Since a lot of people use porterfields the clip can't be that important but it would be nice to know what I will be missing.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:14 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Q: where's the metal clip on porterfield pad

That clip is the wear indicator for the pads, it causes them to squeel when your pads get worn to the limit. None of the porterfields have them, you will just have to inspect your brakes more often. FYI, I had the Poterfields on my last max for almost a year and they showed little wear, so you should be good for quite a while.

Originally posted by nm
I just got a set of porterfields in the mail and was comparing them to and old set of worn OEM pads I had lying in the closet and I noticed that the OEMs have a metal clip/loop sticking out from the back of the pad and the porterfields don't have anything(just flat the pad), I was wondering if someone can tell me what the clip is there for on the stock pads?
Since a lot of people use porterfields the clip can't be that important but it would be nice to know what I will be missing.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:19 PM
nm

Re: Re: Q: where's the metal clip on porterfield pad

Originally posted by mtrai760
That clip is the wear indicator for the pads, it causes them to squeel when your pads get worn to the limit. None of the porterfields have them, you will just have to inspect your brakes more often. FYI, I had the Poterfields on my last max for almost a year and they showed little wear, so you should be good for quite a while.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Re: Re: Re: Q: where's the metal clip on porterfield pad

Originally posted by nm

Thanks
You may want to pick up shim kit from dealership, they are relatively inexpensive. I remember when I first got my Porterfield pads installed w/o the OEM shim kit (with the metal clip), they squealed like lil pigglets. The OE shim kit will eliminate that problem.

PS-Don't forget to use the 'blue stuff' when installing new brake pads.