General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Another discovery- single carbon fouled spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 03:00 PM

Another discovery- single carbon fouled spark plug

Alright I pulled all my plugs to try to clear my flooded engine. All the plugs are soaked in gasoline, so I'm gonna let them sit for a while. No wonder my car wouldnt start. In the process of pulling the plugs I found that the middle rear plug is quite carbon fouled while all of the other ones look normal. I did a search and came up with it could be a sticky fuel injector. Has anybody experienced this before? Looks like some people say use Techron or some other fuel injector cleaner.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Another discovery- single carbon fouled spark plug

Originally posted by ericdwong
Alright I pulled all my plugs to try to clear my flooded engine. All the plugs are soaked in gasoline, so I'm gonna let them sit for a while. No wonder my car wouldnt start. In the process of pulling the plugs I found that the middle rear plug is quite carbon fouled while all of the other ones look normal. I did a search and came up with it could be a sticky fuel injector. Has anybody experienced this before? Looks like some people say use Techron or some other fuel injector cleaner.
I had used Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner for about 7 years. Recently I tried BG 44K, IMO it is a better product and I would sure give it a try. I order it from www.extrememotorsports.com for $15 a can. It is very concentrated and is more cost effectine than the Chevron. Try it and let us know how it works for you. Based on your posts you are the acid test for all products!
Old 12-22-2002, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CostCo sells the chevron stuff for cheap: Box of 4 bottles for $9.49. Cheap!!! If you want the strength of BG44k, just throw in 2 bottles of Chevron and it's still cheaper than BG.
Jae
Old 12-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Another thing...I changed my air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs today. Actually, my dad did the actual taking out and putting in the new sparks. He showed me that 1 or 2 were carbon'd. My dad's busy @ the moment but I'll find out which ones were bad.

Another note: the old plugs were "cold" plugs, which's strange. The previous owner had the car serviced for 30k service. The fuel filter was Nissan, but the air filter was fram. And the plugs were NGK "cold" plugs. Why would the dealership use non-nissan parts and put in cold plugs?

Jae
Old 12-23-2002, 04:28 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally posted by ThurzNite
Another thing...I changed my air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs today. Actually, my dad did the actual taking out and putting in the new sparks. He showed me that 1 or 2 were carbon'd. My dad's busy @ the moment but I'll find out which ones were bad.

Another note: the old plugs were "cold" plugs, which's strange. The previous owner had the car serviced for 30k service. The fuel filter was Nissan, but the air filter was fram. And the plugs were NGK "cold" plugs. Why would the dealership use non-nissan parts and put in cold plugs?

Jae
That's odd that they would do that.... unless your boosted, that explains why you're car wasn't running so great.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
CostCo sells the chevron stuff for cheap: Box of 4 bottles for $9.49. Cheap!!! If you want the strength of BG44k, just throw in 2 bottles of Chevron and it's still cheaper than BG.
Jae
Costco sells the Techron Progard additive, not the Techron Concentrate that we recommend over here. Its not exactly the same product.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:27 PM

in this instance, how many times have you been trying to start the car? Fouled plugs can occur quickly (I'm talking from experience with old muscle cars) in your kind of situation, so you may have done this with all your recent testing with the tranny out and the bad sensor. Wow man...come test my car!
As always, good luck.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Lime
in this instance, how many times have you been trying to start the car? Fouled plugs can occur quickly (I'm talking from experience with old muscle cars) in your kind of situation, so you may have done this with all your recent testing with the tranny out and the bad sensor. Wow man...come test my car!
As always, good luck.

Ahh yes, but that particular one was fouled by carbon, not by gas. The carbon would have had to happen earlier when the car was getting spark hehe. I talked to BriGuyMax and he said that he just replaced the entire injector. I'm not gonna go that route though, at least not yet.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:58 PM
I'm needing a caw

Maybe that coil is bad.

Originally posted by ericdwong

Ahh yes, but that particular one was fouled by carbon, not by gas. The carbon would have had to happen earlier when the car was getting spark hehe. I talked to BriGuyMax and he said that he just replaced the entire injector. I'm not gonna go that route though, at least not yet.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Maybe that coil is bad.

yeah that's what I was thinking if it wasn't the gas....
Old 12-24-2002, 08:35 AM

Would one bad coil cause the car to act as eric's and mine? The jumping of the rpm gauge? the not starting? the flooding?

I'm looking for a reason why the car suddenly didn't want to start just when I tried to install the Hypergrounds. I thought because of the routing of the wires I may have accidently arched something. This gets me to thinking that "something" I arched may have been a coil pack, but I didn't think 1 bad coil pack would cause starting problems. I figure a bad coil pack would not let the car run at all since everything is computer controlled, and my car seems to run just fine once it does start (no missing, or really rough idle or anything like that).

You guys let me know.

BTW, eric I'm sorry to keep chimming in on your threads, but it seems we have a similar problem.